Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-12-2005, 18:40   #1

Uncle Dick?

Does anyone have any info about a Market Trader in Accrington during the 1960's who held the dubious nickname of 'Uncle Dick'???
Old 28-12-2005, 06:35   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Uncle Dick?

I remember him well, he used to sell all sorts of household goods. He would offer something for a price and then say, "Wait a minute, I,ll throw in another," and then, "Just a minute I,ll give you one of these as well'. He used to have a great following and you always left feeling you had a bargain. His wife was one of his sellers, they were both dressed like a couple of spivs but were a lot of fun. I,m guessing now but I think he died about 1975.
ossy kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2005, 09:37   #3
mez
God Member

i can just vagually remember him ...yes he was a great character.
Old 28-12-2005, 13:19   #4
Give, give, give member

I remember seeing him as a child, and can remember exactly where his pitch was. It was very exciting watching him sell to the crowds gathered round his stall.

I always thought he looked like Johnny Morris from BBC's Animal Magic, and for a long time actually thought he was one and the same.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2005, 16:41   #5
white rabbits

he sounds a lot like BARMY MICK on burnley market........wonder if it was him...
Old 28-12-2005, 16:47   #6
Resident Waffler

I remember him. It wasn't a sort of a stall you could go and browse around. He was more like a fairground entertainer. "I'm not here today and gone tomorrow!"

Crowds gathered round to listen to the spiel and then some would buy whatever he was promoting at the time. You didn't get chance to interrupt and ask for some entirly different thing. I don't think anyone would have dared. Mind you I was only very young at the time so perhaps my perception was different.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2005, 17:59   #7

Thanks to all for the info-It will come in handy.
The reason I asked is that Garth Dawson has a picture of him and we may include it in our next book released in May.
Old 28-12-2005, 20:13   #8
Beacon of light

I remember my Grandad buying my Gran some miniature Toby Jugs off Uncle Dick's one Christmas......Gran put them on the mantelpiece.....pride of place.
They had an 'all night burner' fire and when Gran came down to breakfast the following morning there were just three lumps of multi-coloured wax......Grandad was not impressed.....he had spent two shillings and sixpence on those toby jugs! Grandad always called him a 'spiv' after that.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 23:01   #9

Uncle Dick and his wife came from Blackpool. Accrington has never been the same since. I just loved watching, Her all dolled up, and him with his spiel. Wonderful times.
thindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 16:34   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thindle
Uncle Dick and his wife came from Blackpool. Accrington has never been the same since. I just loved watching, Her all dolled up, and him with his spiel. Wonderful times.
got it in one thindle! i used to work for home supplies on accy market in those days which was virtually next to uncle dicks and used to love listening to his patter.
Old 12-03-2006, 16:35   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thindle
got it in one thindle! i used to work for home supplies on accy market in those days which was virtually next to uncle dicks and used to love listening to his patter.
Old 16-03-2006, 20:59   #12
Passed away 25-11-09

I often used to go and watch him do his stuff. It never ceased to amaze me how he juggled plates and never dropped one. The world's a poorer place without characters like him.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..