Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2005, 20:47   #16

Re: get rid of your steam??????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender
Have you ever seen "Brief Encounter", with Trevor Howard and Celia Johnson? A very English love story and with Rachmaninov's 2nd symphony as the theme music ..........
I know you meant Rachmaninoff's 2nd piano concerto, West Ender -- but it is indeed a great romantic movie -- one of my favorites. It evokes all the wonderful steam railway sights and sounds for me.

James
jamesicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-07-2005, 20:10   #17
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesicus
I know you meant Rachmaninoff's 2nd piano concerto, West Ender -- but it is indeed a great romantic movie -- one of my favorites. It evokes all the wonderful steam railway sights and sounds for me.

James
You're right, James, Concerto not Symphony. It was late and I'd had a fair bit of red wine. I should have known better as I have it on a CD.

Trouble is, I can't hear that piece of music now without being transported straight to Carnforth train station and hearing Trevor Howard saying, "Can I help? I'm a doctor".
Old 11-07-2005, 22:45   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
someone told me about this site and its pretty fascinating always fancied a do on one of the steam trains since i stood on the engine of the flying scotsman when it stopped at accy station a few (goodfew)years ago and for the price its cheaper than taking kids to blackpool and more exciting. http://www.railwayvideo.com/railtours/
I remember my mum taking me to church&ossy station to see this train as it sped through. ( it could have been around the same time?1960? It frightened me to bl**dy death. I was only 5 and this great lump of iron beltching steam and whistling as it passed through the old church & ossy station put me off steam trains for life.
jpest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 00:40   #19
land of hope and glory

STEAM TRAIN colne to blackburn 39 miutes.

todays sheds colne to blackburn 39 minutes.
and we are supposed to be going forward? it beggars believe me.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:33   #20
Super Moderator

I remember my dad taking me down to stand at the little gate by the side of the"underground" at the bottom of Crossland Street to watch the first diesel train to come through Accy. Must've been the late 50's. It was actually announced in the Observer and a crowd of people had gathered to witness this momentous event (eeh, we knew how to live in them days!).

Can't say I was impressed...
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:43   #21
white rabbits

trains today just dont have that majestic look of spender and carissma . they were awesome flying through the countryside ,and you could hear the clickerty clack ages before they came into view ,,,that picture of that train going over the arches says it all ..
Old 12-07-2005, 19:47   #22
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpest1
I remember my mum taking me to church&ossy station to see this train as it sped through. ( it could have been around the same time?1960? It frightened me to bl**dy death. I was only 5 and this great lump of iron beltching steam and whistling as it passed through the old church & ossy station put me off steam trains for life.

My mum grew up in the Station House at that station. She lived there from the age of 3 until she was 16 (in 1926). She used to say they never really noticed the trains even though they were, literally, right under the windows.
Old 14-07-2005, 18:15   #23
God Member

I will "getting rid of my steam" next Tuesday on The Jacobite Steamer from Fort William to Mallaig. This is the is line used in "Harry Potter and Chamber of Secrets."

http://www.westcoastrailway.co.uk/

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Last edited by yerself; 14-07-2005 at 18:23.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2005, 18:21   #24
land of hope and glory

have you ever been to mallaig before?me and the other half where touring scotland and we hadnt seen a deer or stag anywhere, so we went to visit mallaig not much there ,so had a brew in the sailors cafe and went to watch this boat unload its cargo,what where they unloading??? red deer all dead so i said to the misses take a photo and you can say you have seen one....smack around the head whilst chuckling to myself.
Old 14-07-2005, 18:27   #25
God Member

Never been to Mallaig before staggeringman. Been to Scotland quite a few times and seen more than a few red deer (and caught more than one or two brown trout).

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2005, 20:03   #26
land of hope and glory

been up there loads of times never wet a line in the rivers once yet, been out sea fishing thats good crack.hired a boat at lochgilliped at the side of loch long cheap for what it was.
Old 27-07-2005, 18:11   #27
land of hope and glory

heres a couple of piccies took whilst being in the right place at the right time?the train is the DALESMAN it is a LMS BLACK FIVE NO.45407 carrying passengers from hellifield to carlisle. the interesting thing about this train is it used to run out of accrington so if any of you codgers know it give us some history.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1084.jpg (37.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1085.jpg (36.3 KB, 34 views)
Old 13-08-2005, 12:13   #28

Jamesicus. Thanks for showing the picture of the 'clan'. As soon as I saw it I had massive goose bumps allover. I actually started tingling. I was a mad very enthusiastic train spotter in my younger days and railway modeler to boot. I went all over the place to see steam locos. Two of my most memorable moments were running along the platform at Manchester 'London Road' to get my first decko of a brittania and then another time after sneaking into Crewe shed and 'wow' standing next to 'City of Glasgow' . What a monster from ground level. This loco I never ever thought I would catch sight of because it had been damaged in the Harrow and Whealstone rail disaster along with 'Princess anne (the turbine and the jub 'Windward island(I think). The only 'Coronation' class I never got to see was 46222 Queen Mary. Its all too late now of course. Damn!!!
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2005, 14:52   #29
God Member

Smile Re: get rid of your steam??????????

Nearest I got to a steam train. The Jacobite running from Fort William to Mallaig Over the Glenfinnon viaduct (Harry Potter). Hope the pics came up ok

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2005, 15:00   #30
God Member

Ok it didnt work so i'll try again. Foolowed mi moto as mi sister is better at this than me. I'm to young to have know the age of steam and the first one I saw was the ones going up Snowden but The Jacobite was something else best description "what a corker".

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..