Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-03-2006, 21:01   #1
Resting in Peace

Sunday School Processions

Ok, I've shown you mine, now show me yours.

Best day of the year !!

The one in the circle is Cambridge Street all dressed in Rose coloured dresses; the one on the steps is St. Johns .. all in Pale Green. The 'two of us' is with my lifelong friend (as in all the pictures) now living in Spain and I go to visit every year.

Where did it go ?

All taken with a Brownie camera Kipax

Image1.jpg
Image2.jpg
Image4.jpg
Image7.jpg
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-03-2006, 21:35   #2
Member.

Re: Sunday School Processions

What can I say; these are from 64/65. Obviously the Salvation Army. They didn’t save me then and sure as hell haven’t since. Anyone spot themselves?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sally 2.JPG (48.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Sally 1.JPG (45.3 KB, 34 views)

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -

Last edited by Doug; 15-03-2006 at 21:38.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2006, 21:43   #3
Accy Goddess

Now that takes me back Katex. I used to love the whit walks when I was a lass in Preston.
It's my favourite time of year. All the individual Churches would have there annual walk's and on Whit Monday there would be the big Parade going through the town Center.
A bit like Accy Carnival but better. It was the Annual Orange Club it had it all bands floats,children marching,banners,and even King Billy sitting on his horse looking all regal.
Afterwards we'd go for a frothy coffee at the cafe then on to the fun fair.
It was stopped in the late 60s or early 70s.
I was a rose queen attendant for my Sunday School when I was about 11yrs old.
Ah... the memories.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2006, 21:44   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
What can I say; these are from 64/65. Obviously the Salvation Army. They didn’t save me then and sure as hell haven’t since. Anyone spot themselves?
Oh Doug darling. Take off a minimum 10years !! And the oldest picture at least 1948. Wouldn't try and save anyone .. takes all the fun out of life

Whoops done it again !! just noticed the pictures, only saw the text ,
Thought you were answering my original post .. senior moments, sos.

Last edited by katex; 15-03-2006 at 21:49.
Old 15-03-2006, 21:46   #5
Resting in Peace

I was a rose queen attendant for my Sunday School when I was about 11yrs old.
quote]

Always wanted to be Rose Queen ... never got picked though ...
Old 15-03-2006, 22:26   #6
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Oh Doug darling. Take off a minimum 10years !! And the oldest picture at least 1948. Wouldn't try and save anyone .. takes all the fun out of life

Whoops done it again !! just noticed the pictures, only saw the text ,
Thought you were answering my original post .. senior moments, sos.
My dearest Kate, not your fault. I had trouble getting the photos up so they weren’t there when you first responded.

I’d suggest having a special Rose Queen event at one of the spring accy web do’s but I fear that the competition would be too strong…..

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -

Last edited by Doug; 15-03-2006 at 22:46.
Old 15-03-2006, 22:39   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I’d suggest have a special Rose Queen event at one of the spring accy web do’s but I fear that the competition would be too strong…..
I think I have just been insulted .. cheeky ****** .. hope to meet you sometime Doug
Old 15-03-2006, 22:45   #8
Member.

Quote:
I think I have just been insulted .. cheeky ****** .. hope to meet you sometime Doug
Touchy ****** not in the least. I was referring to the competition from the Stags resident Drama Queens Chav and Neil and the hat wearing Mc Rindy. But never mind……….. yes I will turn up one night, you can meet me then.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 15-03-2006, 22:51   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Touchy ****** not in the least. I was referring to the competition from the Stags resident Drama Queens Chav and Neil and the hat wearing Mc Rindy. But never mind……….. yes I will turn up one night, you can meet me then.
Oh yeh, getta' you now .... ya' don't stand a chance !

Back to original nostalgic thread please, would love to see some photos of the Sunday School processions and everybody in their finery.
Old 16-03-2006, 00:02   #10
Senior Member+

Oh, what lovely memories. I used to love 'walking day', especially because I used to get a new frock! My mum and her cronies went to choose the material and then I was taken to a dressmaker for the fittings. My favourite of all time was white with little green flowers and had a stiff petticoat underneath. I thought I was beautiful! It didn't get wasted either as I wore it for the school Christmas party with a cardigan, darned at the elbows.
I've been sitting here trying to remember the route from St Andrew's Church but it's a little vague. Swiss Street, Russia Street and Blackburn Road come to mind and I remember my mum and nana waving to me as I went past. My brother hated it!
My last time was 1967, aged 16, a Sunday School teacher, holding hands with my class of five year olds. No mum to wave that year.
Unfortunately, my pics are in England but I promise to post them one day.
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2006, 12:19   #11

Here I am in my matching coat and cap when I was around 3 years old-1946. The parade is just passing our house (the cottages on Manchester Rd just north of Back Lane) and I think I'm probably waving at my mother.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ~Walking day circa '46.jpg (20.2 KB, 40 views)

JohnW

Last edited by JohnW; 16-03-2006 at 12:21.
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2006, 12:57   #12
Resting in peace

Sacred Heart Church used to have a huge procession every year. The Bishop of Salford would come, and there were several bands. I seem to remember that the route started at the church, came along Blackburn Road to Church, down Henry Street, along Hyndburn Road, and then there was a sermon from the Bishop at Ellison's Tenement. Then back up to the main road by the viaduct, and back along to the church. There were banners - oh the kudos of being a banner string holder! The women who had got married during the year at Sacred Heart paraded in their wedding dresses and veils, and all the local Catholic schools took part. Wonder how many people you'd get to walk these days?
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2006, 13:58   #13
God Member

I reckon this old tradition is due for a contemporary revival.....imagine, 2000 women marching down Blackburn Road, all dressed in burkas..
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2006, 18:02   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by junetta
Oh, what lovely memories. I used to love 'walking day', especially because I used to get a new frock! My mum and her cronies went to choose the material and then I was taken to a dressmaker for the fittings. My favourite of all time was white with little green flowers
The teachers used to choose the material for the group themes and mums used to buy it and make up the dresses. My mum always made my clothes .. gosh the arguements I had !! However, looking back, she didn't make a bad job actually. She only ever bought one; acquired from Isobel Winters (now she was Royalty ! ) and again dress was used later for the pantomimes I insisted in starring in.

JohnW .. what a cutey.

The procession used to come up my street and this was the time I saw my lovely dad shed tears as the band played the slow tunes as it passed our door ... do it myself now when I hear a brass band.
Old 21-03-2006, 11:34   #15

Quote:
JohnW .. what a cutey.
Unfortunately Katex, I've changed considerably since then.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..