View Single Post
Old 04-09-2006, 11:41   #1
jambutty
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Why Are We Here?

I don’t mean why are we on this forum but what is the purpose of our existence on this planet?

Before anyone considers answering, can we please dispense with the facetious remarks and repartee between the usual few that often hijacks a thread and turns it into a meaningless rant? Can I offer a reminder that at the top of the General Chat forum it states quite clearly, “common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

I don’t suppose that this is the first time that someone has asked the question nor will it be the last but just WHY ARE WE HERE? What is the purpose of our existence?

Is it because, as all religions would have us believe, that if we don’t blot our copybook too much when we die we will be magically transported to heaven, the promised land, Valhalla or whatever a religion calls it. What if we do ‘blot our copybook’ seriously, what happens to us then? Oh! Yes! We are supposed to go to Hell.

Or is it plain and simple to ensure the continuance of the human race and we as individuals do not really matter once we have spawned an offspring or two?

I favour the “we are here to procreate to ensure the continuance of the human race.” But there is another point. Once we have done our duty to the human race we should ensure that our off spring have a decent planet to live on so that they can continue doing their duty to the human race.

Being closer to the end of the human road than most of the forum members I will find out before them but I doubt very much if I will be able to come back and reveal the real truth.