Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2006, 11:41   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Why Are We Here?

I don’t mean why are we on this forum but what is the purpose of our existence on this planet?

Before anyone considers answering, can we please dispense with the facetious remarks and repartee between the usual few that often hijacks a thread and turns it into a meaningless rant? Can I offer a reminder that at the top of the General Chat forum it states quite clearly, “common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

I don’t suppose that this is the first time that someone has asked the question nor will it be the last but just WHY ARE WE HERE? What is the purpose of our existence?

Is it because, as all religions would have us believe, that if we don’t blot our copybook too much when we die we will be magically transported to heaven, the promised land, Valhalla or whatever a religion calls it. What if we do ‘blot our copybook’ seriously, what happens to us then? Oh! Yes! We are supposed to go to Hell.

Or is it plain and simple to ensure the continuance of the human race and we as individuals do not really matter once we have spawned an offspring or two?

I favour the “we are here to procreate to ensure the continuance of the human race.” But there is another point. Once we have done our duty to the human race we should ensure that our off spring have a decent planet to live on so that they can continue doing their duty to the human race.

Being closer to the end of the human road than most of the forum members I will find out before them but I doubt very much if I will be able to come back and reveal the real truth.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:44   #2
God Member

Re: Why Are We Here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
I don’t mean why are we on this forum but what is the purpose of our existence on this planet?

Before anyone considers answering, can we please dispense with the facetious remarks and repartee between the usual few that often hijacks a thread and turns it into a meaningless rant? Can I offer a reminder that at the top of the General Chat forum it states quite clearly, “common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

I don’t suppose that this is the first time that someone has asked the question nor will it be the last but just WHY ARE WE HERE? What is the purpose of our existence?

Is it because, as all religions would have us believe, that if we don’t blot our copybook too much when we die we will be magically transported to heaven, the promised land, Valhalla or whatever a religion calls it. What if we do ‘blot our copybook’ seriously, what happens to us then? Oh! Yes! We are supposed to go to Hell.

Or is it plain and simple to ensure the continuance of the human race and we as individuals do not really matter once we have spawned an offspring or two?

I favour the “we are here to procreate to ensure the continuance of the human race.” But there is another point. Once we have done our duty to the human race we should ensure that our off spring have a decent planet to live on so that they can continue doing their duty to the human race.

Being closer to the end of the human road than most of the forum members I will find out before them but I doubt very much if I will be able to come back and reveal the real truth.
Hmmmmm I will have to think about this one Acrylic BoB..........

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:05   #3
God Member

This is my take on it and might upset some most or all and if I do I appologise in advance.

Life as we know it might or might not be a scientific fluke depending on which angle you take. Our sun is a small stable star that has the envious (so far of having a rocky planet with an atmosphere that contains elemental gases that allow us to live and survive. All this because we are the rightish distance from the sun to allow life as we know it to survive with orginisms that provide what we need ie food and oxygen in atmosphere that is the biproduct of plants feeding.

Or some big galactic dude who was bored decided to have an experiment and droped Adam n Eve on our rock with the instructionto go forth and multipy. That dosnt make sense as for man and women to procreate it would have been incest. Now after they were cast out things sort of trundled forward with floods war exciles homecomings prophecy and all the rest untill yon big dude decided his own son would have to go and sort this lot out and make them better people and make them rightious. From what we have at the moment he has failed.

I aint knocking religion its just that the Adam n Eve bit dosnt work considering that though there are 6 billion + bods on Earth our genetic stock is narrow and can be traced back to 7 women only so maybe Adam had a harem (lucky sod) even if that was against the big dudes laws.

The other thought as pointed out in another thread it might be in someway multi layered this universe of ours and we could be making universes every time we pop an atom or two. At the end of the day it started with the Big Bang which started (alledgedly) from nothing leading to all we have and know so far.

Just think we could be a giant experiment which is at the mo going awry as we seem to be destroying everything and as punishment the big cheese has decided sod it let them do it then when on the brink I willl step in. At somepoint we will reach a point were our kids are going to inherit a worn out pigsty that will be as much use as a Marshall amp on the Moon.

It will be down to personal beliefs as to which you follow and believe though mine is a mix of both as one is as feasable as the other so I myself sit on the fence.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:30   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Lucky for you i did come back then!! hehehehe basically why am i here? is to bring up my children, teach them all i know & learnt to survive in the big world today & to value & enjoy my life as best i can as its a gift because i was so wasting it fortunately im given that 2nd chance to put right - i was lucky the taster death wasnt nice & was then what i realised what im here to do & what im here for albeit no defined tick sheet.....thats my purpose tho i cant explain the universe & what nots!!

We all have our functions to fullfill in life only thing is its a long journey of discovery - gee would be boring if we knew everything would it?! The supposed fun bit is searching & discovering it also living to that potential. Yeh main things are is to procreate & bring next generation - yeh main functions but what about them that cannot do that? What i think is that we all start in hell aka earth & work our worthyness to the pearly gates once we have lived what was destined however big or small - hence i got thrown out quick i hadn't lived my potential & destiny yet. The only thing certain in life is death im afraid & your a long time dead than alive so makes sence to make the best of it & whatever that drives it. We see the importance of money & things, more than the value of life until u lose someone or your life is at stake which can be too late for a lot of people, if money & things was important - gee you could take it up with ya to spend or keep literally [which isnt it what Egiptians (sp?) thought? funny how architects can still find their buried stuff & end up in museums - so that disproves that beleif], makes sence to pass it down the generations i'suppose.

Truth is we beleive what we want to beleive as when things arn't not concreted in stone, in fact JB some people do come back as ghosts so a lot beleive others dont, funny is when if u can be a ghost & u have great messages from above & the answer to life - is that concrete evidence enough to convince absolutely everyone? {classic case is religeon - even that doesn't convince everyone & has been in some cases changed accordingly to beleif] & bascially i think your Question poses that very thing is ....beleif, trouble is we dont have the same beleifs so there is no concrete answer to it other than what each of us beleives is our destiny - even that can be proved wrong as we grow & change & other forces change or decide for us.

Last edited by accymel; 04-09-2006 at 12:33.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:48   #5
God Member

Would anyone come back and reveal the big secret or is it to shocking to be told? We are born we grow we breed we die may be thats the big secret. We should take what we are given and enjoy it prosper by it and pass on the lessons we learnd to the next generation.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:52   #6
I am Banned

Too true Spuggie

Anyways i dont think there is ever a definate answer dont even think the creator of life knows either so if that dont then how can we know lol

All we know is we live then die - the inbetweens are whatever you make it or whatever that happens - thats they mystery of life
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 18:15   #7
I am Banned

having seen a few dead bodies in my time and seeing somone die i can assure you that no mysterious spirit or inner being floats out of their body and heads towards the heavens

i can assure you though that should you dig that persons body up a few years after burrial you will find rotting flesh and bones

so in short the reason we are here is to die so dont waste your life prepparing for the after life , enjoy the one and only chance at life your gonna get

Last edited by chav1; 04-09-2006 at 18:20.
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 19:27   #8
Resident Waffler

Although you can't see the spirit of a person leave the body at death you can certainly tell that there's a difference. You can't see the air a person breathes out either but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

I believe that we are here to learn and experience things physical before we pass on to the next stage. Why some people experience far more than others I really don't know.

There was a fascinating discussion on this topic on one of the eBay boards a few months ago. Some of the points put forward were very interesting, including the possibility of aliens having created a hybrid human race which the ancient Sumerians knew about.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 21:02   #9

As a muslim i believe that life is a test. A test to prove that you can be a good person and muslim. before you ask, No that doesn't exactly mean blowing myself up. blowing yourself up isn't one of the five pillars. proving that your a good muslim means that you can follow the five pillars. I pray five times, I fast, give charity accept allah as my god and hope to go hajj sometime.
kash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 22:01   #10
Accy Goddess

Everyone has there own take on this, but here is what I think for what it's worth.
We don't ask to be born but we are and we are put on this earth for a reason.
Ours is not to reason why, ours is to do or die. Springs to mind.
We each have a job to do here on this earth plain.
To teach lessons and learn lessons.
I don't believe in heaven and hell as such but do believe there is another existence and the greater good.
All this if there was a god then he wouldn't let bad things happen is a load of baloney. We have freedom of choice and are responsible for our own actions. I don't want to go into religion but each religion seems to have there own god.
I have seen smiles come on a dead persons face.
We are here to do the best we can for our selves and others. We can do what ever we like so long has it harms none including our selves.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 22:47   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:

I might tell you the meaning of life....just as soon as you stop asking younger members of Accy Web, such as Kash, to answer the complex question as to if he would shop fellow Muslims if he knew they were planning a terrorist attack, even though in the intervening five days he hadn't been on line.

IN the meantime I shall be as facetious or not as I like.

Hey ho, such is life.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 22:57   #12
white rabbits

I would like to think there is another life after this, Iwould love to see my mum and dad again,,,but i dont believe in spiritulisum and mediums and such...
but i realy dont knock them that do...There must be a purpose to life..."what"?
Old 05-09-2006, 12:19   #13
Junior Member+

I am having a change time at the moment and this question has been puzzling me for quite some time.

Wish i had the answer, the only thing i have read that kinda explains it to me is by Bill Hicks and it goes like this

"The world is like a ride in an amusement park and when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and around and around and it has thrills and chills and it's very brightly coloured and it's very loud. And it's fun - for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question; is this real? Or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, and they say, "Hey, don't worry, don't be afraid, ever, because... this is just a ride."

i believe it is that simple. just try and enjoy it..
Th3daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 13:41   #14
Resident Waffler

That kind of makes sense to me.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 15:20   #15
God Member

I'm not convinced there is a 'why'.

Some people choose not to have children, some people can't, so the reason can't be 'to procreate' as it would be a lot easier. It's unlikely to be because there are better things ahead of us in the afterlife because I think we would have been told - you can't offer a reward without actually offering it, I think that's just our wishful thinking. We can't be here to spread our knowledge or why would some people be so overidingly thick? And finally, if there are aliens, do they have the same 'why' as us?

There's no reason - we're just here! Science had a bit of a quirky day and produced a planet that could sustain life!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..