Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2006, 22:47   #1
Give, give, give member

When do we know our own mind?

Inspired once again by Jambutty in another thread, where he said that at the age of twelve a child should be able to legally say if they want to carry a doner card, and before that age it should be left to parental consent, at what age do we really know are own minds?

This thought really came about because of the case of the twelve year old girl, awarded to the custody of her Mother in the Western Isles of Scotland, but according to reports she herself would rather live with her Father in Pakistan, where she is now residing.

Some young people do know what path they want to take in life, and accept the consequences that may follow. Others might need help and support, and are totally unable to decide what they should be doing, but then again that could apply to people of all ages.

So at what age did you know your own mind?

I was seventeen. I finally stopped lieing about who I was, and have followed my own path, rightly or wrongly, since that day in June 1982.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-09-2006, 23:03   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: When do we know our own mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
So at what age did you know your own mind?
Good question, I will have to ask Rhonda in the morning before i can answer.
Old 07-09-2006, 23:05   #3
God Member

Do you ever know what you really want though, and if you do, do we ever get it. I've just drifted through my life, others run it, work, parents, grandparents, brothers, sisters, friends wanting favours. I haven't got children so They don't run my life for me, but I know they do if you have them, be in to take them to school be back to collect.

In answer to your question I think you start to know your own mind when you take on responsibilty for yourself. Up until then you just think you know your own mind.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 23:05   #4
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Good question, I will have to ask Rhonda in the morning before i can answer.

Don't worry, she already told me. she plans to let you have it for your fortieth birthday.

Ooopsie, there goes your suprise!

Old 07-09-2006, 23:07   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Don't worry, she already told me. she plans to let you have it for your fortieth birthday.
A long wait still then
Old 07-09-2006, 23:13   #6
Senior Member+

Some folk may have harder choices to make than others.

I presume, maybe wrongly, that a twelve year old would look to the parent who she feels more comfortable with or within mixed marriages the culture she prefers.

A level students with their parents behind them can choose which uni they prefer but at the other end of the scale other teenagers have to decide whether they work at Burgerking or Mcdonalds. If they can get a job, that is.

I was sort of middle of the road. My first job was at the Social Security Office in Melbourne St, having left Rhyddings at sixteen with an average education. Some of my choices in life have left me with a sour taste but on the whole, it hasn't been too bad. I really regret early retirement though x

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 23:13   #7
God Member

If a child of 10 can be held legally resposible for breaking the law then from the age of ten they should know their own mind. Kids grow up rapid today and are a lot wiser and world savvy than a generation ago.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 23:20   #8
Give, give, give member

I agree Junetta, it is a bit of a lottery about the level of support some children get from their parents, and its not always the parents fault.

I'm in two minds about the young girl Molly Campbell/Misbah Rana. Legally she should be in Britain, and hopefully the courts would have listened to whichever parent/culture she wished to live with. Seeing her on the news she did however seem a young lady who did know her own mind.

Old 07-09-2006, 23:43   #9
Senior Member+

in all honesty

my mid/early 20's

b4 that i was just so indicisive i didnt know if i was coming or goin thsi or that

the thing that i reckon really settled me down and got me thinkin was becomin a father...
Old 08-09-2006, 08:15   #10
Resident Waffler

I think it depends on what you're knowing your own mind about too. Some things I would say I knew my own mind about at quite a young age and had to accept the responsibility for my choices (such as going to bed rather than going to church!) but there are other things which we really can't make a valid judgement on because we don't have enough experience.

I think people are different too. One 12 year old child may very well know her mind about which parent she'd rater live with, another may be very confused on the subject.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:16   #11
Resident Waffler

I think it depends on what you're knowing your own mind about too. Some things I would say I knew my own mind about at quite a young age and had to accept the responsibility for my choices (such as going to bed rather than going to church!) but there are other things which we really can't make a valid judgement on because we don't have enough experience.

I think people are different too. One 12 year old child may very well know her mind about which parent she'd rater live with, another may be very confused on the subject.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:37   #12
God Member

After sleeping on it I am not sure if I still know my own mind yet.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:26   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
After sleeping on it I am not sure if I still know my own mind yet.
You'd probably feel more refreshed if you'd slept on a mattress instead.

Old 08-09-2006, 10:26   #14
Give, give, give member

..........Double post.

Old 08-09-2006, 13:11   #15
God Member

Leaving home forced me to start knowing my own mind, I didn't have anyone elses mind to use.
A descision I truely regret, Since then I feel that I've lost everybody that counted with one exception, my uncle/adoptive brother.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..