Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2006, 12:02   #46
Resident Waffler

Re: Why Are We Here?

Seriously, I'm intrigued by the Lilith legend which tells of a woman created at the same time as Adam in the same way as Adam and who was his first wife but they had a bust up because she wanted to be his equal so sh was cast out and then Eve was created from Adam's rib.

There are variations on the theme, one being that Lilith was the mother of the Nephilim.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-09-2006, 12:03   #47
Resident Waffler

Creepy. I just posted a post about Lilith and it's disappeared.................

Old 07-09-2006, 12:16   #48
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I was going to post something but as I read the thread further all this religious stuff started to appear. I think I will go and watch Startgate SG1, it makes as much sense to me as anything else in this thread.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:32   #49
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I was going to post something but as I read the thread further all this religious stuff started to appear. I think I will go and watch Startgate SG1, it makes as much sense to me as anything else in this thread.
indeed ...........
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 13:15   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Cant have this kind of question and not expect religion to be part of any answer.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 14:47   #51
I am Banned

oopppssss double post

well its a bit like the thread people have been saying simular things & repeating them, you live you die thats it!

Last edited by accymel; 07-09-2006 at 15:04.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 14:48   #52
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone
Common sence there is no such thing as it is there
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 15:01   #53
Resident Waffler

It would be good if the people who don't have religious beliefs or who have unconventional beliefs would join in and make this a more interesting topic. I have my own beloefs but I really enjoy reading about other people's.

Old 07-09-2006, 16:27   #54
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel
you live you die thats it!
That sounds about right to me. Why waste your time here wondering why you are here?
When you go to Asda do you wonder round wondering why you went in the first place?
Old 07-09-2006, 16:31   #55
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel
oopppssss double post

well its a bit like the thread people have been saying simular things & repeating them, you live you die thats it!
especialy if you have " dont ressusitate " on your medical notes
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 16:33   #56
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Why Are We Here?

Quote:
When you go to Asda do you wonder round wondering why you went in the first place?
When you get on quite a bit you do!
Old 07-09-2006, 16:46   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
It would be good if the people who don't have religious beliefs or who have unconventional beliefs would join in and make this a more interesting topic. I have my own beloefs but I really enjoy reading about other people's.
Well, some of us already have joined in Willow. I have, and Garinda has, both of us 'non-believers' by the tone of our posts. I was brought up C of E, I sang in the choir at St. John's Baxenden, and when we moved to Southport I later became a member of the Boys' Brigade, which is a Christian organisation first and foremost. However, I always struggled with accepting the Christian faith even so early on in my life. Something just didn't seem right, that you are just supposed to believe all this stuff that seems quite incredible in todays world. It was just too fantastic for me even then.

You know what they say, If you talk to God you are praying, if God talks to you you're a crazy person! We read stories in the Bible which, applied to to-day's world seem absolutely ridiculous. You know, Abraham takes his young son up the mountain to kill him because God told him to. He has him tied and bound and the arm with the knife is raised on high ready for the kill, when God stops him. I wonder how the kid felt about that. Did it change his idea that his father loved him do you think, deep down inside? If I took my son to the mountain today and tied him up, and had the knife raised and somebody saw it happen. Do you think they would accept that God was telling me to do all this? Would that make it OK? I don't think so, I'd be in the slammer in no time and quite rightly so. But we're supposed to read that in the Bible and think it's a great story and what a wonderful man Abraham was because he was willing to kill his son because God told him to do so............? There are many other stories which don't make any sense, far too numerous to list here, I'm sure you know as many, if not more than I do.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 17:07   #58
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
It would be good if the people who don't have religious beliefs or who have unconventional beliefs would join in and make this a more interesting topic.
I believe that all life is lived then it ends, be it a cell on the wing of a butterfly, an apple tree, or me.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 19:11   #59
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
I'm not mocking your faith, infact it obviously gives you a great deal of happiness, but I've just read as much as I can about Lee Stobel and still can't see any factual data to substantiate his claims that Jesus did everything as reported in the Bible.

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/166/story_16690_1.html
Tit for Tat, I recomended reading the book not a comentary regarding the book.

John W. asked why a loving father could send his kids to hell. Hell was created for satan and his demons. Other than them I believe no one else gets sent there. We are given a choice to believe in Christ or not.

Why not ask how a loving father God could send his perfect son to die a horrible death. It's cause he does love us so much.

For all those who don't believe I won't convince you here. I would not have convince myself just awhile back. I and others here are planting seeds that others will come along and water and others will fertilize.

One last thought. If what I believe is true when we all die we will all face judgement the question being only what did you do with my son Jesus. Did you believe or not? Those not believing will entering into eternal torment by their own choice.

If it's true I'm safe, if this is just some grand brainwashing I'm under and we all rot or all good ones get in. I'm safe.

Does anybody really want to take a chance on all eternity? I'm glad I KNOW what I know not just for the eternal question but for living day to day!

Coninue sending the private messages all who have been feeling bullied here or fear of ridicule.

Hope Rules!

Peter
HopeRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 23:01   #60
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeRules
Tit for Tat, I recomended reading the book not a comentary regarding the book.

John W. asked why a loving father could send his kids to hell. Hell was created for satan and his demons. Other than them I believe no one else gets sent there. We are given a choice to believe in Christ or not.

Why not ask how a loving father God could send his perfect son to die a horrible death. It's cause he does love us so much.

For all those who don't believe I won't convince you here. I would not have convince myself just awhile back. I and others here are planting seeds that others will come along and water and others will fertilize.

One last thought. If what I believe is true when we all die we will all face judgement the question being only what did you do with my son Jesus. Did you believe or not? Those not believing will entering into eternal torment by their own choice.

If it's true I'm safe, if this is just some grand brainwashing I'm under and we all rot or all good ones get in. I'm safe.

Does anybody really want to take a chance on all eternity? I'm glad I KNOW what I know not just for the eternal question but for living day to day!

Coninue sending the private messages all who have been feeling bullied here or fear of ridicule.

Hope Rules!

Peter
Oh dear Peter, I'm sorry you feel bullied.

It's just a cross some of us have to bear.

I'm sure your Lord Jesus, who also bore his cross, will give you comfort, as well as the personal messages.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..