Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2006, 16:29   #16
Resident Waffler

Re: Why Are We Here?

"Give us a book of instructions or signs...
And if it's been written then give us more time............"

You see the thing is that all major religions would argue that we have already been told. The trouble is that we can't seem to agree about what we've been told.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-09-2006, 16:32   #17
Junior Member+

Wow, guess I joined up at an opportune time (or maybe not cause I may face attack). Until a bit ago, I had believe as many of the previous threads and would have been the first to attack a thread or belief like mine. I certainly did not believe in a God and even dabbled with different religions. All I found was empty promises, out-right lies and cheats, or hypocriticals.

However, as my "name" implies, I have hope that now rules my life. I have a peace that I never thought I needn't and did not think I desired. I no longer lie in bed at night wondering what it's all about. Struggling with the hate, impoverishness, and fears that I thought was all this life had to offer.

I now know what the meaning of life is, what I'm here for, and where I will definitely spend eternity. I'm not where I want to be but I'm not where I used to be.

Trust me friends,

Hope Rules!
HopeRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 20:37   #18

Being closer to the end of the human road than most of the forum members I will find out before them but I doubt very much if I will be able to come back and reveal the real truth.[/quote]

Steady on there, Jam. Me and thee are not so far apart in age and I for one plan to continue on for at least 30 more years. Hope you, too, will look forward with optimism.

As to the meaning of life.....well, I don't believe we are meant to know all in the here and now. I suspect most people will be greatly surprised when they pass. There is so much more than we mere mortals could ever imagine. I have relatives who have, over the years, been contacted from the beyond. Odd tales from very rational people. So, who knows?
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 23:25   #19
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeRules
Wow, guess I joined up at an opportune time (or maybe not cause I may face attack). Until a bit ago, I had believe as many of the previous threads and would have been the first to attack a thread or belief like mine.

Unlike the old you I don't feel the need to attack anyone's beliefs.

Perhaps that's why it is unlikely I will have a similar conversion.

If it makes people happy, they don't kill too many people in the name of it, and it doesn't frighten the children, religion is a fine crutch for a lot of people.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 23:48   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

hell of a question, like spug i find it impossible to get my head around - we are all here through adam n eve (think about it) sorry i just don,t buy that.a lot of people are here cos a couple wanted sex no other reason, some are here cos a couple really wanted children. our purpose on earth i think is just to make the best of it without destroying others. i havent bin to church for about 20 years,yet i do believe. also believe theirs an afterlife, and if you can make sense of that your a better man than me gunga din.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:30   #21
Yank in King Art's Court!

Hey Hoperules, I appreciate your passion. I know that my faith has gotten me through some really tough times. Not as just a crutch but more like an intensive care unit. Yeah I still struggle with stuff i.e. worries and fears, but find I too have a peace when I keep my focus straight!

What caused such a drastic change in your life?

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:48   #22
God Member

Its what you believe that matters. If you are comfortable with that then thats ok. I would never try and foster my somewhat screwed up ideas on this onto others and as to my original post I will appologise if I upset some of you out there. Me I am just gonna carry on in my unique way and sod any who try to change me.

Why are we here? Well there cant be an answer to that or there are as many as there are fish in the ocean (though not as many as there was due to over fishing) as they say. Is it because we are intelligent that we ask this or do other animals contemplate it? Take the Lemming if there are too many of these critters and food is short they commit suicide to let the young and fitter survive. What do we do we wait until they are half dead, Africa persay have a whip round and dole out food. What would be a starving Africans take on this question be under them circumstances?

Ok babble over.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 09:39   #23
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb

As to the meaning of life.....well, I don't believe we are meant to know all in the here and now. I suspect most people will be greatly surprised when they pass. There is so much more than we mere mortals could ever imagine.

Given that we don't seem to use the whole of our brain capacity I think somehow we are prevented from knowing everything because in our present state we just wouldn't be able to cope with it.

I find the prospect quite exciting actually but I don't want to go just yet.

I'd be interested to hear the pagan point of view on this. I've been chatting to a lovely pagan lady whilst on holiday. If there's one thing I do relate to it's her attitude towards nature and the earth.

Old 06-09-2006, 11:02   #24

I agree with Gayle, there does not HAVE to be a reason. Also JB, the Christian faith tells its followers that getting to heaven has nothing to do with if you have blotted your copybook or not, or to what degree. It tells them that they cannot possibly get to heaven by their own deeds, the only way they can get there is to accept Jesus Christ as their personal saviour. He died on the cross so that their sins could be forgiven and allow them to enter the gates of heaven. None of this is provable, it's based purely on blind faith.

I agree with Rindy, it's just a crutch because people cannot accept their mortality. Also, the differences in peoples religious beliefs has caused more trouble than anything else since history was first recorded.

As someone else said, just make the best of it whilst your here, no-one has yet proved there's anything more.

JohnW

Last edited by JohnW; 06-09-2006 at 11:07.
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:43   #25

Jesus Christ as their personal saviour. He died on the cross so that their sins could be forgiven and allow them to enter the gates of heaven. None of this is provable, it's based purely on blind faith.

Now that is where I disagree. Christianity is the only faith that IS provable in that Jesus is the only "leader" who did everything he said he was going to do. Yes he did die, but He rose from the dead which he said he was going to do. And it is proved in all kinds of historical references - not just the bible that only quacks read.
karalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:48   #26
Resident Waffler

This could lead to a very interesting debate as I'm sure there are agnostics out there who will dispute that he rose again or even that he died on the cross. It's tough being a Christian these days when even some church leaders don't believe in the resurrection.

I enjoy hearing different points of view, none will change mine but I do like reading a good debate on the subject.

Faith comes into our belief in the historical records because none of us were actually there, but I, like you, believe it's true.

Old 06-09-2006, 12:02   #27
God Member

Even in myth there is likely to be a grain of truth. Wether he died and was reserected is an open debate and always will be. Some see him as a savior some as a prophet some might even say a fraud. Dosnt matter wich it comes down to what you believe. He could have been close to death when they decided he was dead (he played dead) and when he was interned into his grave he recovered enough to leave. Mary Magdaline could have played nurse to him and helped him recover and this was seen as the devine resurection. He assended to heaven as stated in the books but could just as easily just done a runner to get away from it all. Again its what you believe that matters and that alone.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 06-09-2006, 12:09   #28
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Why Are We Here?

Yes WillowTheWisp, but told by whom? Another human being claiming that his tale is coming from a God?

It seems to me that religion was invented to control the masses.

It is a bit of a myth that Lemmings commit suicide SPUGGIE J. Quote off the Internet.
Quote:
So-called "Suicidal March to the Sea" about every 3-4 years. Populations "cycle," increasing greatly approximately every 3-4 years. When this happens, lemmings may migrate in large numbers from densely populated areas in the mountains down to birch forests, searching for food. Encountering natural obstacles, including bodies of water, causes panic and a "flight response." This behavior sometimes takes them into the sea, and large numbers may die. So, they may die in this individual quest for food, but they aren't committing suicide for the sake of the rest of the population.
But I’m with you on your attitude to life.
Quote:
the Christian faith tells its followers that getting to heaven has nothing to do with if you have blotted your copybook or not, or to what degree.
The Catholic Church tells us that if a person dies in mortal sin they WILL NOT GO TO HEAVEN JohnW but go straight to Hell for all eternity. If a person dies with some sin tainting their soul they will spend time in Purgatory whilst their sins are expunged and then pass on to heaven. Only a person without sin or children before they are confirmed go straight to Heaven.

Pure Bunkum! Such tales are designed to try and keep people obeying the religion’s rules.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:15   #29
Resident Waffler

I don't like the Catholic teaching that unbaptised children spend eternity in limbo. Surely a loving God wouldn't do that.

Old 06-09-2006, 12:17   #30
God Member

Thanks Jambutty I stand corrected on the Lemmings. The power of the internet wins again. It was put across to me that they just commited suicide now I know better. Mind you there are animals that do commit suicide for the sake of their ofspring and octipi come to mind. Better check the internet in case I am wrong again.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..