View Single Post
Old 21-07-2007, 17:54   #1
MargaretR
God Member

Australians and their use of 'bad language'

I was amused by this article
Aussie ad banned from British TV for bad language - Times Online
It seems that what we do not accept is the norm in other cultures. I mention Australia in particular because I had personal experience of it when my half Iti ex and I befriended an Australian couple during a trip to Sicily.
They were both university lecturers/teachers, so were well educated, and a nicer couple you couldn't wish to meet. They were on a world tour and had adopted a Cambodian baby on route. We had no hesitation but to invite them to stay with us when thay reached Uk on their travels, which they did.
They stayed with us for one week on the way up to the Shetlands researching his ancestry, and another week on the way back down to research her ancestry in the Channel Islands. In all respects they were wonderful guests once you learned to cope with the foul language which they regarded as normal conversation.
I came across this Australian bad language phenomenon again a few years ago when I was in correspondence with the wife of my brother's friend in Wales. She had a visit from his sister who had emigrated to Australia many years ago and had been acutely embarassed by their constant use of (what we would call) bad language.
I am not advocating that we should tolerate it because it is a corruption of our language, but we should be aware that in Australian culture it is not regarded as shocking.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web