Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-07-2007, 17:54   #1
God Member

Australians and their use of 'bad language'

I was amused by this article
Aussie ad banned from British TV for bad language - Times Online
It seems that what we do not accept is the norm in other cultures. I mention Australia in particular because I had personal experience of it when my half Iti ex and I befriended an Australian couple during a trip to Sicily.
They were both university lecturers/teachers, so were well educated, and a nicer couple you couldn't wish to meet. They were on a world tour and had adopted a Cambodian baby on route. We had no hesitation but to invite them to stay with us when thay reached Uk on their travels, which they did.
They stayed with us for one week on the way up to the Shetlands researching his ancestry, and another week on the way back down to research her ancestry in the Channel Islands. In all respects they were wonderful guests once you learned to cope with the foul language which they regarded as normal conversation.
I came across this Australian bad language phenomenon again a few years ago when I was in correspondence with the wife of my brother's friend in Wales. She had a visit from his sister who had emigrated to Australia many years ago and had been acutely embarassed by their constant use of (what we would call) bad language.
I am not advocating that we should tolerate it because it is a corruption of our language, but we should be aware that in Australian culture it is not regarded as shocking.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-07-2007, 18:07   #2
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: Australians and their use of 'bad language'

It depends what you call foul language. If you mean the words used in the article, well they don't bother me much. I do object to some four letter words, don't use them myself and don't want to hear them, but "bl**dy h*ll" is fairly innocuous these days. I think, in this case, the board of censors is being a bit silly.
Old 21-07-2007, 18:14   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
It depends what you call foul language. If you mean the words used in the article, well they don't bother me much. I do object to some four letter words, don't use them myself and don't want to hear them, but "bl**dy h*ll" is fairly innocuous these days. I think, in this case, the board of censors is being a bit silly.
The f & c words were in regular use too!!

Old 21-07-2007, 18:22   #4
Passed away 25-11-09

I wouldn't have tolerated that, I'd have had to tell them it was just not acceptable in my home. I suppose it's a matter of culture but "When in Rome" springs to my mind and they should have known better.
Old 21-07-2007, 18:44   #5

BL.......Y NORAH..........!!!!..........
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2007, 18:52   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentedbutslow View Post
BL.......Y NORAH..........!!!!..........
LOL - hope you enjoyed that as much as I did
Ps noticed you live in Oz - good on yer

Last edited by MargaretR; 21-07-2007 at 19:00.
Old 21-07-2007, 19:03   #7
Beacon of light

I have spent long periods in Australia, and I dislike the bad language too.....When I stayed with my nephew and his family I suggested(politely) to their son that the language he used was not fit for a great Aunt to listen to.......he didn't like being told, but he did moderate his language in front of me.......the young ladies were just as bad - they were asked(again, politely) to moderate their language....and they did so. I do not object to mild expletives, but the F word and the C word were peppered throughout everyday conversation....I found this intolerable.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2007, 19:06   #8
Beacon of light

It may have been considered rude of me....after all my husband pointed out to me that I was a guest in their home. I told hubby that as a guest, I deserved to have my sensibilities respected. do you think I was right?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2007, 20:51   #9
Resident Waffler

It's not so much the actual words themselves. If someone used them as an expletive when they were shocked at something which had happened then it would seem altogether different.

But it did sound a little offensive to me in the ad when the attractive young woman turns to the TV audience after having told us how wonderful Australia is and then says "so where the b.h. are you?" It's not so much the words as the attitude which normally in this country accompanies those words, like she's insulting our intelligence for not being on holiday there.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2007, 08:22   #10
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I remember seeing this advert several times before it was banned. The Australian Tourism website were still showing it before I went to Oz and I still think it's a good advert. I can't say that I noticed a hell of a lot of foul language in normal conversation whilst I was there. Certain words are totally acceptable the 'w' word for instance, but in the manner in which it was spoken, it sounded perfectly normal and certainly no worse than anything you'd hear in town here..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2007, 08:53   #11
Resident Waffler

I somehow can't imagine the English Tourist Board advertising the Lake District and then ending it with those same words. Maybe we do expect slightly (?) cruder language from Aussies.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2007, 08:56   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I somehow can't imagine the English Tourist Board advertising the Lake District and then ending it with those same words. Maybe we do expect slightly (?) cruder language from Aussies.
What do you expect from a country that produced Rupert Murdoch
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2007, 10:06   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
What do you expect from a country that produced Rupert Murdoch
even worse than that many are descendants of our "criminals &deportees"
Old 23-07-2007, 11:05   #14
Senior Member+

my next door neighbours are from aus,and i have to say that they are foul mouthed and it seems to come natural in any conversation,but years of hearing it hasnt rubbed off on me
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 12:05   #15
Junior Member+

Anyone whither in the Uk or any other country that use bad laungage just shows up their lack education and manners, with many its used because they cant articulate themselves properley so they use the lowest common of verbal abuse, its sad to hear the filth that pours out of some peoples mouths it just shows whats in their hearts

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..