Thread: Council Tax
View Single Post
Old 25-03-2008, 20:07   #11
Eric
God Member

Re: Council Tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
After hearing several people complain about 'tax tax tax' I decided to do some research.

I looked at council minutes from 1999 onwards, and tried to find out which institutions our money actually goes to.

Something I had discovered that not all people know is that our council tax is set and goes to, several different sources not just our local council. As of 2008 72% goes to county council, 15% to our local Hyndburn council, 9% to the Police Authority and 4% to the Fire Authority.

In 2003 tax to the fire authority was separated out from county council, hence reducing county council tax by £6.10 (for band A), but the new fire authority tax took £33.09 (again for band A).

For the purpose of the figures I've included the fire figures with county figures so that I can easily compare county tax before fire was taken out of it.

Since 1999 Hyndburn council tax has increased 45%
County council tax has increased 48%
The Police Authority tax has increased by 117%

Now according to the BBC and other sources, on average council tax has increased by over 100%.

People are now earning 50% more than 10 years ago, and minimum wage is changing to 60% increase since 1999 as of October 2008.

As a result of this, I think our council is pretty good with its tax compared with elsewhere as it is only increasing along with earnings and has saved money in the bank which can be used for a rainy day if the economy gets any worse.
Just checked on this for interest, because I pay my taxes to the City of Kingston, the Province of Ontario, and the Govt. of Canada. But what I found interesting, and surprising, is that 72% of local taxes go to the County Council. Why is this? What does the County Council do locally for this whopping slice of tax revenue? The tax I pay to the City is used (or misused), in Kingston. None of it goes to the sort of equivalent of the County, which would be the Province of Ontario. What does the local council do with the money it gets? Who sets the tax rate, the local council or the county council? Are the police and the fire service controlled locally or by the county? Who is responsible for maintaining the roads and collecting the garbage?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote