Thread: Another Gem
View Single Post
Old 30-06-2008, 13:43   #13
jambutty
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: Another Gem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Yet anoher gem fro Brussels, it seems that we are now having to change from 17 hole to 5 hole salt cellars in our chippies, Middlesborgh Council are one of the first to take this on board. the thinking is that by doing this it will be more healthier by cuting down on salt intake beam be up Scotty
The answer is simple – have larger holes or did this slip by the idiots who thought up the rule? In any case my salt cellar has one large hole. Pepper pots have small holes.

I think that we should get this salt issue into perspective. The human body NEEDS salt otherwise without it you DIE. But then too much salt will kill you. How much you need is dependant on how much you sweat. Someone working very hard physically will need more salt than someone, like me, who has a sedentary lifestyle. Servicemen in hot climates were issued with salt tablets.

Salt is also needed in cooking. It helps to bring out the flavour of the food. Or so I’m told. Boil potatoes without any salt in the water and boil some with some salt and notice the difference in taste. A cooked meal suitably salted during the cooking doesn’t need any extra salt. But today the ready made meals come salt free so we just pour on loads of salt to give the darned thing some taste and thus defeat the object of the exercise and end up with a larger intake of salt.

Move over on the transporter pad, I wanna come with you.