Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-06-2008, 09:23   #1
Resting in Peace

Another Gem

Yet anoher gem fro Brussels, it seems that we are now having to change from 17 hole to 5 hole salt cellars in our chippies, Middlesborgh Council are one of the first to take this on board. the thinking is that by doing this it will be more healthier by cuting down on salt intake beam be up Scotty
Old 30-06-2008, 09:27   #2
God Member

Re: Another Gem

Have to shake the salt pot 3 times more then eh?
Old 30-06-2008, 09:31   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i wonder how much this VITAL new legislation has cost so far?
Old 30-06-2008, 09:46   #4
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i wonder how much this VITAL new legislation has cost so far?
Would have been cheaper to make all chippies charge for salt then no-one will use any until they get home and add it there.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 09:48   #5
Senior Member+

All sounds a bit pathetic to me. If you want salt your going to put on as much as you want, it doesnt matter how many holes there are, youre just going to shake it for longer
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 11:12   #6
God Member

Or get home and put more on. Some things just have to have plenty of salt on them, fish and chips is one of them.
Old 30-06-2008, 11:35   #7
Beacon of light

It is like the chap who produced Kiwi fruit...it proved to be 1mm too small to pass EU regulations and it meant that he could not sell them.....and he couldn't give them away either(he would have been prosecuted) so the whole lot were dumped.
Now in a world where there is hunger and poverty(some of it in this country) why do we have to have regulations like this?
There was absolutely nothing wrong with this fruit, but the chap had to throw it all away...he said he lost £1000 by having to abide by these mad regulations.

It is said that the EU are looking at relaxing some of the rules regarding mis-shaped fruit and veggies, it won't be a minute too soon.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 11:42   #8
God Member

Think they have already relaxed the ruling on some things. Who the hell dreams up these barmy rules??
Old 30-06-2008, 11:53   #9
Resident Waffler

This has GOT to be a wind-up surely? Nobody seriously thinks the number of holes in a salt pot is going to change the amount of salt we put on food do they?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 12:26   #10

Another waste of cash. Is it any wonder that so many are disillusioned by the EU when crackpot ideas like this are turned into legislation.
Old 30-06-2008, 12:43   #11
God Member

it was only last week when they said the EU were scapping the system where bannanas etc had to be a certain size or shape and then they pull this out of the hat

less holes in the salt cellar will only make it more difficult to ensure all your chips get salt on them so it could actualy mean people putting more salt on then ever and arnt the EU aware that we put dry peas in the salt cellar to stop too much salt escaping

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 30-06-2008 at 12:46.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 12:46   #12
Resting in Peace

Aaah yes, but do they specify how big the holes have to be ?

I love my salt, and the one at home only has one hole, but large....
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 13:43   #13
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: Another Gem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Yet anoher gem fro Brussels, it seems that we are now having to change from 17 hole to 5 hole salt cellars in our chippies, Middlesborgh Council are one of the first to take this on board. the thinking is that by doing this it will be more healthier by cuting down on salt intake beam be up Scotty
The answer is simple – have larger holes or did this slip by the idiots who thought up the rule? In any case my salt cellar has one large hole. Pepper pots have small holes.

I think that we should get this salt issue into perspective. The human body NEEDS salt otherwise without it you DIE. But then too much salt will kill you. How much you need is dependant on how much you sweat. Someone working very hard physically will need more salt than someone, like me, who has a sedentary lifestyle. Servicemen in hot climates were issued with salt tablets.

Salt is also needed in cooking. It helps to bring out the flavour of the food. Or so I’m told. Boil potatoes without any salt in the water and boil some with some salt and notice the difference in taste. A cooked meal suitably salted during the cooking doesn’t need any extra salt. But today the ready made meals come salt free so we just pour on loads of salt to give the darned thing some taste and thus defeat the object of the exercise and end up with a larger intake of salt.

Move over on the transporter pad, I wanna come with you.
Old 30-06-2008, 13:49   #14
God Member

It helps to keep salt pot manufacturers in business, so, would everybody with more than the regulation holes please put it in the bin and buy a new salt and pepper set please, just in time for the eu to re-regulate the allotted number of holes in pepper pots and we can do it all again. Thank you!
Old 30-06-2008, 13:49   #15
Senior Member+

I dont buy salt, i dont use salt and i dont like salt.....

Theres enough salt in our food withou us adding more.. for those that say they need salt on their food becasue they are used to having it and it doesnt taste the same.. your taste buds are replaced every 2 weeks so you can 'train' them to be different.... if you go without salt for 2 weeks you wont need it on your food anymore.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..