Thread: River Stink
View Single Post
Old 15-02-2010, 11:16   #92
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: River Stink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
The source of the River Hynburn came from Warmden Reservoirs and ran down to Broad Oak Factory's - I don't know if there was another subsidary joining it. But as it ran through the factory's chemical waste was dumped in it some smells like rotten eggs. THis is where the smell came from - I don't know about Rishton probably more was added to it as it went down the river!
The sources of the Hyndburn have already been dealt with in http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...tink-2134.html
Besides its main sources of the Warmden and Woodnook Water quite a number of small streams which are no longer visible joined those two both before and after it became the Hyndburn, there is a lot of run off under Water St, from the Coppice lodges. When the floods closed Water St, Avenue Parade and Melbourne St in the sixties, we could hear some of the culverts collapsing.
All the main polution came from Broad Oak Print Works and the Turkey Red at Baxenden, which was diverted round the factory's in Bath St and Victoria St by the big iron pipe kids play on up Priestly Clough.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote