Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-12-2003, 14:11   #1

Post what is the real name for the river stink

hi doin a quiz and dont know the real name for the river which runs under arndale anyone lnow?
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-12-2003, 15:14   #2
Senior Member+

Post Re: what is the real name for the river stink

It's the river hyndburn dark angel.
Old 15-12-2003, 15:20   #3

nice one cheers
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2003, 16:32   #4

[quote author=janet link=board=qanda;num=1071504674;start=0#1 date=12/15/03 at 17:14:22]It's the river hyndburn dark angel.[/quote]

When I was a kid it was so poluted that you could walk on it.
flashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2003, 11:31   #5
Senior Member+

flashman. a.k.a. jesus. lol
Old 20-12-2003, 03:14   #6
Senior Member+

Do you remember the smell round the back of the Bridge Pub coming from that err River - sulpher I think it was?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2003, 09:15   #7
Senior Member+

O'h, that's what it was, always thought it was rotting wild life. ???
Old 22-12-2003, 09:11   #8
Jo

I think it is actually called the River Hynd, Burn is another word for a small river - therefore Hyndburn was born as a region, meaning "Little River Hynd." Correct me if I'm wrong.
Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2003, 10:14   #9
Senior Member+

Sorry Jo, but . . . . . it is def. called the River Hyndburn

Atarah
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2003, 21:16   #10
Junior Member+

yep Jo. You're definatly wrong on this...."burn" is one of the old celtic words for river..............the Hyndburn has always been called the Hyndburn and the name was adopted in 1974 at the time of local government reorganisation because the idea was the river flowed all the local authorities (Church, Rishton, Clayton, Gt. Harwood, etc) being amalgamated with Accrington.....although I'm not to sure about Ozzy.....(maybe the Tinker being a tributary of the Hyndburn makes it count)...
Shef.Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2003, 16:48   #11
Junior Member+

well these are intrasting answers   yawn.
Old 30-12-2003, 12:03   #12
Jo

I'll eat my hat then. Sorry 'bout that, was quite convinced. Thanks for putting me right!  
Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 19:10   #13

Re: what is the real name for the river stink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo View Post
I think it is actually called the River Hynd, Burn is another word for a small river - therefore Hyndburn was born as a region, meaning "Little River Hynd." Correct me if I'm wrong.
Gosh, I know that this is old but I'm just trawling through. Could it be that at one time it was known as the Hynd Burn (two words), which later became linked as one word, and then became known as the River Hyndburn? Just a thought from someone who has obviously nothing better to do at the moment.
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 20:32   #14
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidf View Post
Gosh, I know that this is old but I'm just trawling through. Could it be that at one time it was known as the Hynd Burn (two words), which later became linked as one word, and then became known as the River Hyndburn? Just a thought from someone who has obviously nothing better to do at the moment.
All this has been in other threads as well Hindburn
was first mentiond as a boundry in Acc as far back as 1192 ad.
It is the result of Woondnook Water and Warmden Brook meeting at the bottom of Grange Lane, at the junction with Cross St.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 21:05   #15

I was always told that that the river hyndburn was an amalgamation of two words, obviously "burn" is a small river and because Deers "Hynds" were always watering there in days gone by and I mean a few centuries ago, it became known as the River Hyndburn.
Pheonix is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..