Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-10-2009, 20:12   #1
Senior Member+

a military question

Hi, have been to Knutsford today, a fabulous wedding was about to take place, although the bride still hadnt appeared. Apparently she was arriving in a horse and carriage, wish I could have seen it.
But, the men on the photo were so well "turned out" - a few of them had loads of medals.
Anyone help with what their job would have been.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wedding1.jpg (529.2 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg wedding2.jpg (520.2 KB, 57 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-10-2009, 20:24   #2
God Member

Re: a military question

Is this a quiz where you already know the answer
or a serious request for info?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 21:01   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi, have been to Knutsford today, a fabulous wedding was about to take place, although the bride still hadnt appeared. Apparently she was arriving in a horse and carriage, wish I could have seen it.
But, the men on the photo were so well "turned out" - a few of them had loads of medals.
Anyone help with what their job would have been.
A General & a Colonel.
Medals are for being behind their men as they got killed, some are for Falklands, then theirs being first in the NAAFI queue, acting daft and being gormless.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 04:38   #4

one of them is a tanky, looks like the hussars
Old 18-10-2009, 05:54   #5
Senior Member+

Hi Margaret, serous question, they looked so amazing.

Atarah
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 18:27   #6

No tankies there (Royal Tank Regiment, that is), but you're right on hussars. Red trousers used to mean 11th Hussars (The Cherrypickers) but I think that they amalgamated with the 10th Hussars (who used to be known as the "Shiny" 10th) and may now be The Royal Hussars. The cap badge on the one with the white stripe down his trousers looks like The Queen's Dragoon Guards, which used to be Wales's only cavalry regiment.
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 18:56   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossywarrior View Post
one of them is a tanky, looks like the hussars
Just updating my last in the interests of accuracy. It seems that the Royal Hussars (amalgamation of the 10th and the 11th, as already mentioned) may have since amalgamated with the 14/20th King's Royal Hussars to form The King's Royal Hussars. When regiments amalgamate they like to keep parts of their previous uniforms, hence the officer from the hussars is wearing the collar badge of the 10th Hussars, the red trousers of the 11th Hussars and the cap badge of the 14/20th Hussars. I can't identify the officer with the yellow stripe down his trousers.
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..