Thread: Mellor
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2004, 00:13   #1
Busman747
Always EVIL within us

Mellor

I am curious!

Having lived in a village all my life, I have witnessed first hand the demise of village-life! The village that I grew up in once boasted 4 pubs, post office, shop, and local butcher! It is now relegated to one pub.....and nowt else!

I have witnessed similar all over the country including Lancs that is until I became aware of Mellor!

It is a quiet village just outside of Blackburn with a low population so imagine my surprise when I noticed that they had a "public Convenience" (PUBLIC BOG, to those that are "unrefined!" ) They also had regular guests from the police who would have speed cameras to ensure that drivers would respect the speed limit thru the village!

They still have their own Post Office, Hotel/Pub, Beautician, LIBRARY! Butchers and have a bus service that goes through the village every hour!

To the "Townies," this does not seem much, but to anyone that lives in the countryside, they will understand what I am saying!

The local Bobby would put up "no parking" cones once a week to allow the local schools to practice "Bicycle training" for their pupils on "real roads."

On the main road through Mellor, there is on one side, a continuous white line to allow parking of vehicles, but I have learnt that the locals have been encouraged by the police, to park illegally on the opposite side to discourage fast drivers through the village! This is fine....unless your vehicle is 30 ft. long!

They even went to the expense of putting up a computerised sign that "told you your speed" and gave you a smily if you were under 30 mph! (This sign has recently been "taken out" by a large vehicle!!!)

I have no arguements about the wisdom of the village to ensure its tranquility........and good for them! but I started to ask the question "Who is it that is so important that lives here?

Apparently, There is, or used to be a Chief Constable living there plus a Mayor either of the Ribble Valley or Hindburn! Can anyone confirm either? which would explain why Mellor gets special treatment?????
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web