Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2004, 00:13   #1
Always EVIL within us

Mellor

I am curious!

Having lived in a village all my life, I have witnessed first hand the demise of village-life! The village that I grew up in once boasted 4 pubs, post office, shop, and local butcher! It is now relegated to one pub.....and nowt else!

I have witnessed similar all over the country including Lancs that is until I became aware of Mellor!

It is a quiet village just outside of Blackburn with a low population so imagine my surprise when I noticed that they had a "public Convenience" (PUBLIC BOG, to those that are "unrefined!" ) They also had regular guests from the police who would have speed cameras to ensure that drivers would respect the speed limit thru the village!

They still have their own Post Office, Hotel/Pub, Beautician, LIBRARY! Butchers and have a bus service that goes through the village every hour!

To the "Townies," this does not seem much, but to anyone that lives in the countryside, they will understand what I am saying!

The local Bobby would put up "no parking" cones once a week to allow the local schools to practice "Bicycle training" for their pupils on "real roads."

On the main road through Mellor, there is on one side, a continuous white line to allow parking of vehicles, but I have learnt that the locals have been encouraged by the police, to park illegally on the opposite side to discourage fast drivers through the village! This is fine....unless your vehicle is 30 ft. long!

They even went to the expense of putting up a computerised sign that "told you your speed" and gave you a smily if you were under 30 mph! (This sign has recently been "taken out" by a large vehicle!!!)

I have no arguements about the wisdom of the village to ensure its tranquility........and good for them! but I started to ask the question "Who is it that is so important that lives here?

Apparently, There is, or used to be a Chief Constable living there plus a Mayor either of the Ribble Valley or Hindburn! Can anyone confirm either? which would explain why Mellor gets special treatment?????
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-10-2004, 01:10   #2
Member.

Re: Mellor

Hi Busman, have you got a copy of The Lancashire Village Book. Published by the Lancashire Federation of Woman’s Institutes. If not get hold of a copy, get the car out and drive. There are lots of Mellor’s dotted all over Lancashire and most are a small isolated place’s, Watch out for signs of inbreeding in some of the smaller one though, They tend to be short of men so take your Lady with you for safety sake.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 05:50   #3

I do believe that Carl Foggerty (m'bike world Champ) lives there as well!!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 08:58   #4
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
There are lots of Mellor’s dotted all over Lancashire and most are a small isolated place’s,
I was wondering about the funding of these amenities Doug. The upkeep of a library is very expensive ditto Public Conveniences. It surely can't be financed by their Parish Council and the County Council seem to be "pulling the plug" on allocations of money to any project that is not deemed as crucial or lines their pockets.

Carl Foggerty has been a great ambassador for the U.K and motorbike racing and I like many, greatly admire him but I don't think he is the reason for the money that is being put into what is basically, just a small village.

Maybe I am wrong, Are there any more villages in the area that boasts toilets and library? Try "spending a penny" in Morcambe after 6pm!
Old 05-10-2004, 09:53   #5
Resident Waffler

Downham is a very nice village and it had loos last time I looked but certainly no library. The village is all privately owned too isn't it?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 21:42   #6
Always EVIL within us

Downham doesn't count Willow, It has its own "Lord of the Manor" and I would guess that its finances are a lot more involved that a "normal" village.

Do the serfs have to contribute a sack of corn each year to their Lord still??
Old 06-10-2004, 02:47   #7

I used to live in mellor, it's not built around the fact that anyone special lives there, but that the people that live there enjoy country life and respect what they have. of course these places that are out of town need the bus service more than anyone. Theres a good chance that the population of elderly people that have lived there all thier lives dont drive, and of course the kids need to get to school by bus.

Tockholes is another tiny place with not much too it but a school and a pub.
littlemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 07:20   #8
Resident Waffler

I don't doubt that the locals of Mellor need and appreciate their bus services and the other facilities but I'm sure residents of other villages would love them too yet don't have them.

As you say, Tockholes has a pub and a school but it doesn't have public conveniences or a library, not to mention Post Office, beautician, butcher and a regular hourly bus service. I think Mellor is the exception rather than the rule.

Being unable to drive these days I couldn't consider living in a village as I would not be able to get anywhere.

Some school children who live in villages have specific buses to get them to school (Busman knows that because he drives one)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..