View Single Post
Old 13-02-2011, 17:31   #1
Trikitt

A Stanley Shirt 'Made in Accrington.'

Hello All,

I have posted this info on the other forum, I just need as much support as possible... This is just an idea that I have been kicking around for a while now and I would like to know if it is something that you lot would be interested in. As we all know the contract with Jima has come to an end and I believe that Stanley are in the process of negotiating a kit supplier. So what my idea is, to create somewhere here in Accrington that makes football shirts not just for Stanley, but for the wider audience. Here are just a selection of my thoughts;

Football is a sport that has become less and less connected with the communities that created it. From the players on the pitch right down to the football shirt manufacturers, advertising etc etc.

What I propose is to make next year's or the year afters (As I realize that these things can take time) Accrington Stanley's home shirt in England and more in particular in Accrington. Now before you reply to me stating that it isn't a solid business decision (cotton shirts can be made here in the UK including VAT, Material and Labour for £5.) etc, take into account a few aspects.

1. East Lancashire is one of the most socially and economically deprived areas in Europe let alone the UK, so creating jobs here in the UK during a recession can only be a positive thing especially in an area where youth unemployment is some of the highest in the UK. We can teach youths a trade and skill that they could use in the future. We can also promote the area as knowing it's cloth, due to it's associations with the cotton trade.

2. If the scheme went well this could be a future revenue scheme where we could manufacture shirts for other teams. With small clubs trying to find new revenue streams this shouldn't be scoffed at.

3. With the support of a major British sportswear manufacturer such as Umbro this could give Accrington and Accrington Stanley the correct, positive image that it deserves.

With the support of a major kit supplier we could make the shirt a must have item. All I want is for Stanley to get a little more money to help the club stay alive, support the community directly and rather than receiving a jersey that said made in the far east, the shirt read 'Made in Accrington.'

Let me know your thoughts...
Trikitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web