Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-02-2011, 17:31   #1

A Stanley Shirt 'Made in Accrington.'

Hello All,

I have posted this info on the other forum, I just need as much support as possible... This is just an idea that I have been kicking around for a while now and I would like to know if it is something that you lot would be interested in. As we all know the contract with Jima has come to an end and I believe that Stanley are in the process of negotiating a kit supplier. So what my idea is, to create somewhere here in Accrington that makes football shirts not just for Stanley, but for the wider audience. Here are just a selection of my thoughts;

Football is a sport that has become less and less connected with the communities that created it. From the players on the pitch right down to the football shirt manufacturers, advertising etc etc.

What I propose is to make next year's or the year afters (As I realize that these things can take time) Accrington Stanley's home shirt in England and more in particular in Accrington. Now before you reply to me stating that it isn't a solid business decision (cotton shirts can be made here in the UK including VAT, Material and Labour for £5.) etc, take into account a few aspects.

1. East Lancashire is one of the most socially and economically deprived areas in Europe let alone the UK, so creating jobs here in the UK during a recession can only be a positive thing especially in an area where youth unemployment is some of the highest in the UK. We can teach youths a trade and skill that they could use in the future. We can also promote the area as knowing it's cloth, due to it's associations with the cotton trade.

2. If the scheme went well this could be a future revenue scheme where we could manufacture shirts for other teams. With small clubs trying to find new revenue streams this shouldn't be scoffed at.

3. With the support of a major British sportswear manufacturer such as Umbro this could give Accrington and Accrington Stanley the correct, positive image that it deserves.

With the support of a major kit supplier we could make the shirt a must have item. All I want is for Stanley to get a little more money to help the club stay alive, support the community directly and rather than receiving a jersey that said made in the far east, the shirt read 'Made in Accrington.'

Let me know your thoughts...
Trikitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-02-2011, 17:35   #2
God Member

Re: A Stanley Shirt 'Made in Accrington.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikitt View Post
) 3. With the support of a major British sportswear manufacturer such as Umbro this could give Accrington and Accrington Stanley the correct, positive image that it deserves.

With the support of a major kit supplier we could make the shirt a must have item. All I want is for Stanley to get a little more money to help the club stay alive, support the community directly and rather than receiving a jersey that said made in the far east, the shirt read 'Made in Accrington.'

Let me know your thoughts...
I don't understand that last section. How can you get the support of a major kit supplier if they don't have facilites in Accrington. Surely they will want to use their own factories. Surridge comes close but not quite in Accrington
Old 13-02-2011, 18:00   #3

Hello Lancsdave,

Thanks for the reply. The support of a kit supplier simply means using their logo and designers to make the product desirable to non Stanley supporters so as to gain more income. The site would be located in Accrington and would be hopefully be owned by Stanley with the support of a sportswear company.

Hope that helps.
Old 13-02-2011, 18:03   #4
God Member

Quote:
The site would be located in Accrington and would be hopefully be owned by Stanley

I think you just killed the whole project

To be honest I would imagine any change of kit for next season is already well down the decision line.
Old 13-02-2011, 19:01   #5
God Member

Quote:
cotton shirts can be made here in the UK including VAT, Material and Labour for £5.) ...
I still can't get my head round this one. Unless your'e making thousands ( which wouldn't be applicable with Stanley shirts ) I find that hard to imagine.

Nice sentiment though, I'm all for local busineses supporting each other
Old 13-02-2011, 19:52   #6

This Team have kindly offered this kit for next season, if things dont work out.
Old 14-02-2011, 09:26   #7

Thanks for the responses. I work with a company here in the UK that make my t-shirts in the UK and they charge me just under £5 for making 170 shirts, including material, so I think this is something we could work with.

In order for anything like this to get off the ground I need the support of honest Stanley fans like yourselves and if you don't believe that it can work then I fully understand, I just thought it would be a positive step for yhe town and football club.
Old 14-02-2011, 10:10   #8
Full Member+

If you are sure this can work then go for it . Maybe start with T shirts and take it from there.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 13:01   #9
God Member

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I work with a company here in the UK that make my t-shirts in the UK and they charge me just under £5 for making 170 shirts, including material, so I think this is something we could work with.

In order for anything like this to get off the ground I need the support of honest Stanley fans like yourselves and if you don't believe that it can work then I fully understand, I just thought it would be a positive step for yhe town and football club.
football shirts are of a far better quality though than your average t-shirt. I can source t-shirts for around 75p and single colour screen print for about £1 (plus set up fee) but obviously the more you want to pay the better quality you get. Last time I heard anything on the lines of football shirts you'd need more than a thousand to get anywhere near £6 and then you'd have your printing costs on top for the sponsor and embroidery costs for the badge and manufacturer.

But good luck anyway and I hope it works out. But I would imagine you should have something concrete (or maybe a little lighter) on offer by September in order to start getting final design agreed and contracted for the end of the season.
Old 14-02-2011, 13:02   #10
God Member

something that could be intriguing for you to look at would be to reproduce some of our shirts from days gone by? Smaller orders and a little more ad hoc perhaps but trying to get the tender for the main shirt would be a big ask
Old 14-02-2011, 13:19   #11
God Member

Think it's a while down the line, we have more pressing things concerning Stanley than kit atm

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 17:18   #12
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleymad View Post
Think it's a while down the line, we have more pressing things concerning Stanley than kit atm
Closser than you think Mel
Old 14-02-2011, 17:26   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab View Post
Closser than you think Mel
An explanation would be nice mab!

(TUESDAY 3rd NOVEMBER 2009........A PROUD DAY FOR ALL STANLEY FANS)

Messrs Khan and Marsden I thank you

Thursday 31st. March 2011, a new dawn over the Crown ground.
www.dirtyhatband.co.uk
ukcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 17:35   #14

sadly i have to say i agreed with u mab,lets hope the 26th isnt too little too late
katei77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 18:50   #15
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katei77 View Post
sadly i have to say i agreed with u mab,lets hope the 26th isnt too little too late
why sadly!!! Every football club changes there kits every two years,and why the 26th and why too little too late????

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..