Thread: Milnshaw Park
View Single Post
Old 16-10-2004, 16:05   #1
Acrylic-bob
God Member

Milnshaw Park

Laid out in 1879, Milnshaw Park occupies the site of an even earlier park, Victoria Gardens. A place set aside from the hard bitter grind of working in the mills and collieries. A place filled with light and beauty, with ornamental gardens filled with flowers and play areas for children. There was a paddling pool for the toddlers, greenhouses bowling greens and later there were tennis courts.

Today, well the bowling greens are still there, and so are the trees, there is also a collection of vandalised modern play equipment too. But sadly that is all there is. The rest is neglect, damage and decay. Gone are the flowers, the fine walks and ornamental flowerbeds. Too dangerous now are the play areas and the paddling pool was long ago filled in. The walls are crumbling and so are the paths. The tennis courts are ruined and overgrown.

Why do I bother to take up your time with this sad and sorry tale? Because I spent a large part of that endless summer called childhood in this park. I have fond memories of it. I know all it's nooks and crannies almost as well as I know the back of my own hand.
And it makes my blood boil to hear half-wits of the stripe of Peter Britcliffe claim that money is being spent on the upkeep of our parks when, in the case of Milnshaw, this is demonstrably not the case. Take a look at the attached photographs and you will get some idea of what I mean. The actuality is much much worse than appears in the pictures.

Not exactly the sort of place you would want tourists to find, is it Peter?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Milnshaw3a.jpg (81.2 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg Milnshaw 1a.jpg (98.2 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Milnshaw 2a.jpg (81.2 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Milnshaw 4a.jpg (78.0 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg milnshaw 5a.jpg (85.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Milnshaw 6a.jpg (90.6 KB, 80 views)