Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-10-2004, 16:05   #1
God Member

Milnshaw Park

Laid out in 1879, Milnshaw Park occupies the site of an even earlier park, Victoria Gardens. A place set aside from the hard bitter grind of working in the mills and collieries. A place filled with light and beauty, with ornamental gardens filled with flowers and play areas for children. There was a paddling pool for the toddlers, greenhouses bowling greens and later there were tennis courts.

Today, well the bowling greens are still there, and so are the trees, there is also a collection of vandalised modern play equipment too. But sadly that is all there is. The rest is neglect, damage and decay. Gone are the flowers, the fine walks and ornamental flowerbeds. Too dangerous now are the play areas and the paddling pool was long ago filled in. The walls are crumbling and so are the paths. The tennis courts are ruined and overgrown.

Why do I bother to take up your time with this sad and sorry tale? Because I spent a large part of that endless summer called childhood in this park. I have fond memories of it. I know all it's nooks and crannies almost as well as I know the back of my own hand.
And it makes my blood boil to hear half-wits of the stripe of Peter Britcliffe claim that money is being spent on the upkeep of our parks when, in the case of Milnshaw, this is demonstrably not the case. Take a look at the attached photographs and you will get some idea of what I mean. The actuality is much much worse than appears in the pictures.

Not exactly the sort of place you would want tourists to find, is it Peter?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Milnshaw3a.jpg (81.2 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg Milnshaw 1a.jpg (98.2 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Milnshaw 2a.jpg (81.2 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Milnshaw 4a.jpg (78.0 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg milnshaw 5a.jpg (85.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Milnshaw 6a.jpg (90.6 KB, 80 views)
Old 16-10-2004, 18:19   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Milnshaw Park

I noticed a wall with Graffitti on it, is now called art in Accrington?

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2004, 18:23   #3
Senior Member+

I know the park well, i walk around there 3 times a day with my dogs. I have to agree that it is in bad need of a makeover. The council workers who i know are only in there to clean up and empty poo bins twice a week. They have to tend to a few parks.No doubt due to not much money being in the pot.
Old 16-10-2004, 22:21   #4
Resident Waffler

Wasn't it great to be a child in the days when you could paddle in the park? How come it was safe to do so in those days but damgerous now?

Looking back on the photos of older Accrington I don't think we've made progress at all.

The tennis courts at Bullough Park look even worse.

Oak Hill Park, which is supposedly our finest doesn't have half what it once had.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 08:32   #5

What a disgrace.....HBC should be forced to walk there every day. As you did A-Bob...so did I, all my mates from Hyndburn Park School, played footy, cricket, paddles in the long pond.......

Death of a society..........................
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 09:04   #6
God Member

You should see it Darby. It is in a dreadful state. The paths have not been cleared of leaves for so long that the leaves have decayed where they lay and turned into thick muddy compost. A delight to have to walk through!
Old 18-10-2004, 09:38   #7
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I used to play tennis on those courts as a kid, it's hard to believe from looking at the pictures that they are the same courts. HBC should be ashamed.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 09:54   #8
God Member

Aparently, there used to be NINE tennis courts there.
Old 19-10-2004, 16:02   #9
God Member

Here are some pics of Milnshaw in happier days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tennis a.jpg (78.1 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Swings in Milnshaw Park.jpg (22.0 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 71_1_b.jpg (30.3 KB, 83 views)
Old 19-10-2004, 16:21   #10
God Member

When you consider the comparative low level of prosperity at the time of those photographs being taken, it is nothing less than a scandal that what we now see at Milnshaw Park resembles a morning after scene from Bagdad or Falujah. Hyndburn will never attract inward investment while the level of public squalor is exceeded only by civic incompetence.

Is there any possibility, A-B, of seeing Piccys from the same angle(above) as of today?

Last edited by Tealeaf; 19-10-2004 at 16:23.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2004, 16:49   #11
God Member

All three areas in the antique pictures are covered in the initial set of photographs, though not from the same position.

It may be a couple of days before I have the opportunity to get out and about. but it is something that I will put high on my list of things to do.
Old 19-10-2004, 21:00   #12
Resident Waffler

I totally agree with Tealeaf that it's scandalous to have let our parks fall into such a state when the earlier pictures from a less prosperous age show what they could be like and should be like.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2006, 21:42   #13
God Member

i was brought up around milnshaw park,havent been up there for years now, the last time i was there was about 5 years ago, the park was over run with weeds and long grass, not as i remember it as a child, i remember when my grandad used to take me and my sister and brother down the park and we would sit in the huts overlooking the bowling green,he would always take some sandwiches and a flask of coffee,we would sit there for hours......ah the memories.....now can you see why i disagree with that whistling singing thing in burnley willow?? that money could of been put to good use elsewhere,milnshaw park for instance
Old 20-12-2006, 21:50   #14
God Member

I always get Milnshaw park and Gatty park mixed up. Which park had the little golf course that my aunties and uncles spent hours on while I played on the park?
Old 20-12-2006, 21:54   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post
I always get Milnshaw park and Gatty park mixed up. Which park had the little golf course that my aunties and uncles spent hours on while I played on the park?

that was gatty park yee.....it was 'puttin' they used to play, i liked that park too

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..