Thread: Olympic farrago
View Single Post
Old 28-01-2012, 14:15   #26
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: Olympic farrago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post

Considering that these precious 'Angels' do little these days but complain about how short staffed, underpaid and overworked they are, one is amazed that they are able to find the time. Considering further that quite a lot of them are hopelessy overweight one wonders what sort of message the organisers are trying to send?
I always found it cringeworthy when patients/members of the public/anybody else, applied the term'Angels' to nurses.
Well, having been away from the coal face for almost ten years now I am not entirely sure I can make much of a judgement.....but I am going to have a stab at it anyway.

Nurses do a dirty, difficult job. Most nurses work very hard to ensure they give the patients under their care the best attention. It was hard when I was doing this job, and I know it has got harder because there are fewer hands doing the work.
I never wanted to be called an Angel......in fact, I think it is patronising in the extreme. All I ever wanted(and I think this is true of most nurses) was to have the resources to give patients the care they needed and the respect for doing a job that many folk wouldn't(and couldn't)do.

I don't get this culture that seems to have grown up....where people can badmouth and disrespect members of the nursing profession.(in many cases on the basis of hearsay evidence of other people)

As in all walks of life there are good and bad.......I have met some extremely good nurses during my professional life - I would put myself in their hands any day of the week. I have also met the odd nurse who has been bad. The good ones outweigh the bad ones in droves.....and let me tell you in your time of need one of them will be there for you....and you will be glad of them.

As for Nurses dancing at the opening of the Olympics(supposedly to celebrate the NHS) Nurses should not be doing this......it is frivolous and uncalled for and takes away the gravitas of the profession. Who will be looking after the patients while they are involved in this? Who thinks up these stupid stunts?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote