Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-01-2012, 16:59   #1
God Member

Olympic farrago

Was I the only person in the country who found the British performance at the handover ceremony in Beijing a bit of a toe-curler?

Watch it here...

(Skip ahead to 6:40 for the worst bits - If you can bear to. )

Now it seems that there is more embarassment to shoulder.

At a truly staggering cost of £27 million, it has been revealed that the opening ceremony will feature a tribute to the NHS, for God's sake, involving hundreds of dancing nurses.

Considering that these precious 'Angels' do little these days but complain about how short staffed, underpaid and overworked they are, one is amazed that they are able to find the time. Considering further that quite a lot of them are hopelessy overweight one wonders what sort of message the organisers are trying to send?

Reading what the director, Danny Boyle had to say in today's Telegraph...

London 2012 Olympics: Shakespeare theme to lead 'Isles of Wonder' Olympic opening ceremony - Telegraph

This is shaping up to be a cringe-fest of epic proportions.

Can this possibly get any worse?
Old 27-01-2012, 17:24   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Olympic farrago

I don't think that before the 1984 games in Los Angeles, there was all this big to do at the opening ceremony.

The Olympics are a sporting event, not an international jazz hands festival.

London, 1948.

Parade of competitors.

Welcome speech.

Light Olympic flame.

Release a few war ravaged pigeons.

Just get on with the thing.

We should look back to how hosted the games so well in '48, not try and compete with a costly Chinese freak show.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 17:27   #3
God Member

I have just watched the rehearsal of the nurses dance routine on tv.
It was like de-ja-vu of Broadway Accy 2011.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 17:31   #4
God Member

Though it was meant to be an "austerity" Olympics given the recession -along the lines of the last London Olympics just after WW2. It all cost £600,000 back then - and was all very frugal (see account in link).
The First Post War Olympics - 1948 London - Olympics30.com

Apparently back then all the athletes got a free tin of Ovaltine!

For some reason I can't watch A-b's film in Italy, not authorised, perhaps it's 'cos it's so bad !

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 27-01-2012 at 17:37.
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 17:39   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Though it was meant to be an "austerity" Olympics given the recession -along the lines of the last London Olympics just after WW2. It all cost £600,000 back then - and was all very frugal (see account in link).
The First Post War Olympics - 1948 London - Olympics30.com

Apparently back then all the athletes got a free tin of Ovaltine!

For some reason I can't watch A-b's film in Italy, not authorised, perhaps it's 'cos it's so bad !
That was a bit bloody extravagant
Old 27-01-2012, 17:41   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
That was a bit bloody extravagant
Had to supply their own hot milk though Jay! And bring their own cutlery if they wanted to eat.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 27-01-2012, 17:53   #7
Give, give, give member

It would have been so much classier, in a British sort of way, to keep things simple. As well as much more fitting, in the middle of a world recession.

Welcome parade of competitors of all nations, then just let the games begin.

It doesn't need all this amateur theatrical brouhaha.

We don't do it very well.

Plus we could have spent the enormous amount it's costing, in a thousand more worthwhile ways.

Old 27-01-2012, 17:57   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It would have been so much classier, in a British sort of way, to keep things simple. As well as much more fitting, in the middle of a world recession.

Welcome parade of competitors of all nations, then just let the games begin.

It doesn't need all this amateur theatrical brouhaha.

We don't do it very well.

Plus we could have spent the enormous amount it's costing, in a thousand more worthwhile ways.
Hear, hear! Well said - after all it is meant to be about the best athletes in the world, that's the real "show".

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 27-01-2012, 17:58   #9
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
At a truly staggering cost of £27 million, it has been revealed that the opening ceremony will feature a tribute to the NHS, for God's sake, involving hundreds of dancing nurses.

Considering that these precious 'Angels' do little these days but complain about how short staffed, underpaid and overworked they are, one is amazed that they are able to find the time. Considering further that quite a lot of them are hopelessy overweight one wonders what sort of message the organisers are trying to send?
So just what have you got against nurses, A-B?

I may be biased, but having just spent two weeks in hospital, I do not recognise your description. All the nurses I encountered, and other staff as well such as porters, domestics and theatre staff, were caring and considerate even though I would say the nurses could have done with more staff at times. They certainly all worked hard and did not complain, at least not in my hearing.

Looking at NHS pay scales I would say the days of poor pay are gone and as for your comment about being overweight, I really don't know where you are coming from. I only saw one obese person on the staff while I was there, plenty among the visitors, and he I think was a doctor, in scrubs, and so fat he could not sit in a chair with arms but had to perch on the edge of the seat.

I wonder what Marg P will have to say about your comments?

PS talking about obesity, what about that executive producer in the Telegraph photo?

Last edited by susie123; 27-01-2012 at 18:01.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 18:14   #10
Senior Member+

My best mates partner is a cardiac nurse, she works long unsociable hours in a understaffed and under funded ward.To hear you say that the nurses do little and are obese really irks , the majority of nurses and docs do a good job in difficult conditions where money and staffing levels are low, i would like to know what you base your assumptions on, tarring all nurses with a dirty brush as you have done.
Old 27-01-2012, 18:23   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Never bother watching the crap, aint gonna start now.
Old 27-01-2012, 18:25   #12
God Member

We will be left with some expensive 'art'
..rich pickings for pikxies

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 18:40   #13

Perhaps they could have thousands of unemployed, dancing with bowls in their hands singing please sir can we have some more. Formation cap doffing and forlock tugging. Maybe a troup of ceremonial bankers (phew spelt it right) collecting massive bonus cheques. The possibilities are endless.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 18:47   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Varrechia View Post
Perhaps they could have thousands of unemployed, dancing with bowls in their hands singing please sir can we have some more. Formation cap doffing and forlock tugging. Maybe a troup of ceremonial bankers (phew spelt it right) collecting massive bonus cheques. The possibilities are endless.
A flash loot.

Old 27-01-2012, 18:49   #15
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
A flash loot.
Flash B'stards !

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..