Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-01-2012, 10:56   #46
Resting In Peace

Re: Olympic farrago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
With the greatest respect.......you are not a young nurse!
Yes they like to indulge in the alcohol, but they also like to show that they have been somewhere warm and sunny, by coming home with a tan..........and yes, I know you could say that they got it at the local tanning shop.....but even that won't wash - if you are well enough to go to the tanning booth, then you are well enough to show up for work.
What about those nurses who want to take time off because they were lucky enough (?) to get tickets for some olympic events?
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-01-2012, 11:15   #47
Beacon of light

They will be able to sell their tickets at a profit on E-Bay? Oh no they won't because that isn't legal
Sue, what they can do is ask for their day off to coincide with the event......they can ask, but that doesn't mean they will get. If they don't get the day off that they asked for, then they will have to negotiate with a colleague of the same grade to swap days off.....Always, the service comes first.......and you know that when you take the job.
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 12:51   #48
God Member

Quote:
I think it is down to the people who have thought up this stupid idea....they are the ones who truly do not see the value of nurses being where they should be......on duty, looking after patients......not tripping the light fantastic.
Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire fame) and Stephen Daldry have their paws on this venture.
I hope that the Nursing Unions step in and advise their members to have nothing to do with it.

just shows what sort of thicko's are running the event when they couldnt even think of putting dancers in nurses uniforms

will the nurses be supported by a group of waltzing st johns ambulance brigade folk ?

if emergencey services are to be tied up doing trivial activities why not go the whole hog and get the police and fire brigade in on it too its not as though they will have anything better to be doing is it lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 29-01-2012 at 12:53.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 14:06   #49
Beacon of light

I think that even using actors/dancers as NHS staff is not taking their roles seriously....and as such degrades the work done by these essential staff.
Old 29-01-2012, 17:28   #50
Resting in Peace

Quote:
With the greatest respect.......you are not a young nurse!
Yes they like to indulge in the alcohol, but they also like to show that they have been somewhere warm and sunny, by coming home with a tan..........and yes, I know you could say that they got it at the local tanning shop.....but even that won't wash - if you are well enough to go to the tanning booth, then you are well enough to show up for work.
Like to endulge in the alcohol, i've been on the wrong end of partying nurses Maragaret, not a pretty sight believe me
Old 29-01-2012, 17:48   #51
Beacon of light

John, I know......the parties that used to be held at the Doctors Residence near the Infirmary were legendary I believe. I never went to any of them, me being married seemed to keep those young(and not so young) docs at bay.
Old 29-01-2012, 18:06   #52

Can we stop the cynicism about the Olympics. They will be fantastic for the country.

We can't match the Beijing opening ceremony, but no one can, so we have nothing to lose. We don't have a ready made cast of oppressed millions to pick from who are willing to practice banging a drum for 12 hours for fear of reprisals from the 'regime'.

We are Britain, we do things our way.
ToffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 18:47   #53
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToffeeGuy View Post
Can we stop the cynicism about the Olympics. They will be fantastic for the country.

We can't match the Beijing opening ceremony, but no one can, so we have nothing to lose. We don't have a ready made cast of oppressed millions to pick from who are willing to practice banging a drum for 12 hours for fear of reprisals from the 'regime'.

1) No they won't.
2) Yes we have.
3) Wasn't that a yank called Frank.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 18:59   #54
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToffeeGuy View Post

Yes, from what we're told is planned, half-arsed, and embarrassingly badly.

Cut the dire theatrics, and concentrate on what the Olympics are, a sporting event.

Oh, and holding on to a modicum of dignity, wouldn't be a bad idea.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 20:15   #55
Beacon of light

The olympics lost their sporting Kudos years a go.......it isn't about sport anymore......though they(the organisers would have you believe it is)....it is about business, big business. Recent Olympics have not done much for the countries in which they were held....and they certainly never made a profit.

There are quite a lot of us who are tax payers, whose money will be spent on these lavish events, who actually couldn't give a flying fig about any of it.
In case you are in any doubt I am one of them. I am hoping that someone will point me in the direction of a warm, dry cave where TV reception is non-existent for the duration of the event.

I hate sport. Any sport. All sport. Waste of time, energy and money.
Old 29-01-2012, 21:12   #56
Super Moderator

Quote:
I hate sport. Any sport. All sport. Waste of time, energy and money.
So, I take it you won't be joining me and Cashy on the Clayton End anytime soon, Margaret?
Old 30-01-2012, 04:48   #57
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Once met him in a pub close to the old Tory HQ..it was a Sunday lunctime and four of us were the only ones in the pub.. in walks Boris with a load of reporters... he was buying them all a drink then looks round the pub and says "oh and a drink for those lads".
Rent boys.

Norman Tebbit would be proud, that you moved to find employment.

Old 30-01-2012, 05:55   #58
Give, give, give member

'Unwanted hotel rooms needlessly reserved for dignitaries by Olympic organisers will be a key factor in a tourism slump set to cost Britain billions this summer, top travel industry figures have warned.'

Tourism gold? Olympics set to lose Britain billions - Olympics - Sport - The Independent

Going for gold.

More Olympic news, to make a big song and dance about.

Old 30-01-2012, 06:47   #59
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
So, I take it you won't be joining me and Cashy on the Clayton End anytime soon, Margaret?
No Steve.......I would only go, to have the pleasure of meeting you two fine gents.

I reckon my dislike of sport goes back to schooldays. I was pretty useless.......too short for netball(and always in the wrong bit of the court)......too scared to play rounders( whose idea was it to put a half brick in a bit of leather and call it a ball?)
'Unco-ordinated' was my middle name so no good at badminton, tennis, table tennis - I was making a swing for the ball long after it had shot past me earholes.
This meant that when picking teams - I was in the 'leavings'...no-one wanted to be handicapped by my efforts.

Didn't want to be doing stuff I had no chance of winning at. That's my excuse!
Old 30-01-2012, 12:22   #60
God Member

Quote:

Didn't want to be doing stuff I had no chance of winning at. That's my excuse!
It was rumoured that "Tiddleywinks" was being proposed as a new Olympic discipline -perhaps you could try that Margaret!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..