Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-01-2012, 17:26   #31
Beacon of light

Re: Olympic farrago

Oh yes, and another thing all Nurses who work at hospitals close to Olympic venues have been told they will not be allowed to take leave(holidays) during the time that the Olympics are being held. So it will be interesting to see where they get the dancing nurses from.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-01-2012, 17:26   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I don't think even that would work for me. It still disparages a hard working and worthy profession. It taints its credibility and does absolutely nothing to 'celebrate' the NHS.
I was trying to be ironic with the Carry On comment Margaret!
I really hope that this doesn't happen because it will completely devalue the nursing profession, I wonder which over enthusiastic idiot thought it up.
I just hope that no nurse agrees to participate, and any dancer refuses to impersonate a nurse.
Also, I'm sure that most people would prefer nurses on duty to be at their place of work doing their job rather than making fools of themselves at the Olympic ceremony.
And if they choose to participate in their own time then they shouldn't be in the profession!
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 17:28   #33

Quote:
Oh yes, and another thing all Nurses who work at hospitals close to Olympic venues have been told they will not be allowed to take leave(holidays) during the time that the Olympics are being held. So it will be interesting to see where they get the dancing nurses from.
They probably can't take leave because they'll be needed for the dancing!
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 17:32   #34
Beacon of light

I think it is down to the people who have thought up this stupid idea....they are the ones who truly do not see the value of nurses being where they should be......on duty, looking after patients......not tripping the light fantastic.
Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire fame) and Stephen Daldry have their paws on this venture.
I hope that the Nursing Unions step in and advise their members to have nothing to do with it.
Old 28-01-2012, 17:51   #35
God Member

In this video Danny Boyle says that real nurses are being used

BBC News - London 2012: Olympic ceremony details unveiled by Danny Boyle

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 18:37   #36
God Member

PS in case you don't bother to watch that, please note that Danny Boyle says he is attempting to depict 'humour' in the ceremony.

Result - we'll be a 'right laughing stock'.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 20:11   #37
Beacon of light

I watched it and apparently the Nurses and NHS staff will be 'volunteers'.........it doesn't reassure me in the least. I think it is not the way to give the NHS, the staff or the work they do, any kind of credibility.
Old 28-01-2012, 20:13   #38
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I don't think even that would work for me. It still disparages a hard working and worthy profession. It taints its credibility and does absolutely nothing to 'celebrate' the NHS.
I'd make bumbling Boris dress up as a Pearly King, and dance around the stadium.

That's if we could find enough buttons.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 20:16   #39
God Member

Quote:

surely if they give sufficient notice as required by contract they cant be stopped or do contracts become null and void if theres an olympic event because if so theres a few contracts i would like to ignore?

i hope that any nurse that wanted time off during the olympics rings in sick and i wouldnt blame them for doing so

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 20:31   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I'd make bumbling Boris dress up as a Pearly King, and dance around the stadium.

That's if we could find enough buttons.
Seems he's been doing some research into his family history and costume.

Pearly King Alf and Boris Johnson | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Don't knock Boris, he's a good lad - what you see is what you get, he really is like that and has been since birth, and he's not a bad dancer by all accounts!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 21:17   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post

Don't knock Boris, he's a good lad - what you see is what you get, he really is like that and has been since birth, and he's not a bad dancer by all accounts!
You may think Boris is a good lad but then you don't have to suffer him as your Mayor..he's increased public transport fares by 50% in the last four years!
Once met him in a pub close to the old Tory HQ..it was a Sunday lunctime and four of us were the only ones in the pub.. in walks Boris with a load of reporters... he was buying them all a drink then looks round the pub and says "oh and a drink for those lads".
Never knew a free drink from Boris would cost me so much in the long run!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 09:34   #42
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
PS in case you don't bother to watch that, please note that Danny Boyle says he is attempting to depict 'humour' in the ceremony.

Result - we'll be a 'right laughing stock'.
Hell Margaret, we agree on something, he's a laughing stock per say
Old 29-01-2012, 09:35   #43
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
surely if they give sufficient notice as required by contract they cant be stopped or do contracts become null and void if theres an olympic event because if so theres a few contracts i would like to ignore?

i hope that any nurse that wanted time off during the olympics rings in sick and i wouldnt blame them for doing so
You can give as much notice as you want, but if there is an emergency situation leave can be cancelled........and in situations like this, where the Authorities know that there is going to be a greater demand for services the you can ask for leave, but it will not be granted during the time the olympics is on.

You just have to plan your leave for some other time. I am pretty sure that in the areas where there are Olympic events taking place that as soon as it was clear the Olympics were coming - staff would be told that NO leave would be granted during this time.......so staff would have had plenty of notice.

As for the going sick thing. Well, you are going to look pretty daft on your 'return to work' interview with a suntan.....certainly won't be believed.
Old 29-01-2012, 10:35   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:

As for the going sick thing. Well, you are going to look pretty daft on your 'return to work' interview with a suntan.....certainly won't be believed.
I've been going to Benidorm for 40 years,never come back with a tan yet. Lager flush maybe.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 10:53   #45
Beacon of light

With the greatest respect.......you are not a young nurse!
Yes they like to indulge in the alcohol, but they also like to show that they have been somewhere warm and sunny, by coming home with a tan..........and yes, I know you could say that they got it at the local tanning shop.....but even that won't wash - if you are well enough to go to the tanning booth, then you are well enough to show up for work.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..