Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-01-2012, 18:52   #16
God Member

Re: Olympic farrago

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It would have been so much classier, in a British sort of way, to keep things simple. As well as much more fitting, in the middle of a world recession.

Welcome parade of competitors of all nations, then just let the games begin.

It doesn't need all this amateur theatrical brouhaha.

We don't do it very well.

Plus we could have spent the enormous amount it's costing, in a thousand more worthwhile ways.
I don't think anyone does it well, least of all our moronic neighbours, which is surprising as they have had lots of practice. For the ultimate in tacky, watch the half-time show at the Super Bowl. But it seems as if each Olympics has to achieve a lower standard at twice the expense. Maybe the organizers get all their ideas from Wrestlemania.

One could also blame the krauts and their Aryan Expo '36.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-01-2012, 19:15   #17
Resting in Peace

In this age of digital TV should not the Olympics have Its own channel then I don't have to be bored out of my mind.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 19:18   #18
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I don't think anyone does it well, least of all our moronic neighbours, which is surprising as they have had lots of practice. For the ultimate in tacky, watch the half-time show at the Super Bowl. But it seems as if each Olympics has to achieve a lower standard at twice the expense. Maybe the organizers get all their ideas from Wrestlemania.

One could also blame the krauts and their Aryan Expo '36.
The French actually do it well. As was seen at the World Cup.

But they're brilliant at pulling off 'all show, and no substance'.

It's how they are.

French women look very chic, but drenching yourself in eau de toilette, is no excuse for only giving your pits and your tuppence, a quick wipe over with the flannel once a month.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 20:00   #19
God Member

Quote:

It's how they are.

French women look very chic, but drenching yourself in eau de toilette, is no excuse for only giving your pits and your tuppence, a quick wipe over with the flannel once a month.
Maybe the Frogs invented the aqua-lung so that one could make love to the ripe ones without gagging.

But it must be a difficult task to come up with something that is quintessentially British. Not only is it a country with a long, rich history, it is also a place of more regional differences than a country ten times its size. In Canada, all we would need would be a few guys in touques speaking French, some fishermen, guys in cowboy hats, some First Nations people, and a bunch of dope smoking hippies from the Queen Charlottes, and you have it all summed up.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 20:30   #20

Apparently, despite being in a state of severe economic austerity we can afford to pay the head of RBS an enormous and unjustified bonus as well as hosting a money's no limits olympic games - I despair!
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 09:04   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:

We used to call that Fur Coat and no knickers Rindi
Old 28-01-2012, 11:45   #22
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Opening ceremonies aside, I have one major concern about the Games.

With the amount of people coming here from other countries for the Games, how will the NHS cope with the increased amount of people who will surely become ill during their visit.
Are the powers that be going to check that all of these visitors have the relevant travel health insurance in order to access care here???
This is a health tourism opportunity if ever there was one and, of course, all of our nurses are just too fat and lazy to cope with this extra workload

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 11:57   #23
God Member

What with the inflation and budget cuts in many EU countries I think they won't get as many visitors as the xpected.

I read recently that in Spain few tickets have been sold.

I think we are heading for a great big flop on our hands.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 12:17   #24
God Member

I tried to amend 'the xpected' to 'they expected' but was timed out

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 12:42   #25
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie View Post
Opening ceremonies aside, I have one major concern about the Games.

With the amount of people coming here from other countries for the Games, how will the NHS cope with the increased amount of people who will surely become ill during their visit.
Are the powers that be going to check that all of these visitors have the relevant travel health insurance in order to access care here???
This is a health tourism opportunity if ever there was one and, of course, all of our nurses are just too fat and lazy to cope with this extra workload
Not only that, seems most of our nurses will be dancing - I wonder if that is a covert ploy to slim them down? And who will be looking after the poor patients while they are hoofing at the opening ceremony?
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 14:15   #26
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post

Considering that these precious 'Angels' do little these days but complain about how short staffed, underpaid and overworked they are, one is amazed that they are able to find the time. Considering further that quite a lot of them are hopelessy overweight one wonders what sort of message the organisers are trying to send?
I always found it cringeworthy when patients/members of the public/anybody else, applied the term'Angels' to nurses.
Well, having been away from the coal face for almost ten years now I am not entirely sure I can make much of a judgement.....but I am going to have a stab at it anyway.

Nurses do a dirty, difficult job. Most nurses work very hard to ensure they give the patients under their care the best attention. It was hard when I was doing this job, and I know it has got harder because there are fewer hands doing the work.
I never wanted to be called an Angel......in fact, I think it is patronising in the extreme. All I ever wanted(and I think this is true of most nurses) was to have the resources to give patients the care they needed and the respect for doing a job that many folk wouldn't(and couldn't)do.

I don't get this culture that seems to have grown up....where people can badmouth and disrespect members of the nursing profession.(in many cases on the basis of hearsay evidence of other people)

As in all walks of life there are good and bad.......I have met some extremely good nurses during my professional life - I would put myself in their hands any day of the week. I have also met the odd nurse who has been bad. The good ones outweigh the bad ones in droves.....and let me tell you in your time of need one of them will be there for you....and you will be glad of them.

As for Nurses dancing at the opening of the Olympics(supposedly to celebrate the NHS) Nurses should not be doing this......it is frivolous and uncalled for and takes away the gravitas of the profession. Who will be looking after the patients while they are involved in this? Who thinks up these stupid stunts?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 14:38   #27
Resting In Peace

Wise words as usual from you Margaret along with the benefit of experience. I too find the term Angels patronising and I wonder if the dancing nurses will be real ones or resting actors impersonating them. it would be good if the nurses refused to co operate.

My recent stay in hospital has only reinforced my view of the profession which largely ties in with what you said. All I can say is I'm glad they were there for me.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 15:19   #28
Give, give, give member

Re: Angels.

I think that's down to the BBC.

I can't remember the term being used to mean nurses, prior to the television programme in the mid seventies, set in the fictional St. Angela's in Battersea, and called Angels.

I agreee, it is rather disparaging.

I don't think many heavenly angels would do half the mucky jobs nurses have to deal with, for fear of getting their pristine wings dirty.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 16:43   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I always found it cringeworthy when patients/members of the public/anybody else, applied the term'Angels' to nurses.
Well, having been away from the coal face for almost ten years now I am not entirely sure I can make much of a judgement.....but I am going to have a stab at it anyway.

Nurses do a dirty, difficult job. Most nurses work very hard to ensure they give the patients under their care the best attention. It was hard when I was doing this job, and I know it has got harder because there are fewer hands doing the work.
I never wanted to be called an Angel......in fact, I think it is patronising in the extreme. All I ever wanted(and I think this is true of most nurses) was to have the resources to give patients the care they needed and the respect for doing a job that many folk wouldn't(and couldn't)do.

I don't get this culture that seems to have grown up....where people can badmouth and disrespect members of the nursing profession.(in many cases on the basis of hearsay evidence of other people)

As in all walks of life there are good and bad.......I have met some extremely good nurses during my professional life - I would put myself in their hands any day of the week. I have also met the odd nurse who has been bad. The good ones outweigh the bad ones in droves.....and let me tell you in your time of need one of them will be there for you....and you will be glad of them.

As for Nurses dancing at the opening of the Olympics(supposedly to celebrate the NHS) Nurses should not be doing this......it is frivolous and uncalled for and takes away the gravitas of the profession. Who will be looking after the patients while they are involved in this? Who thinks up these stupid stunts?
Margaret I completely agree with you, how patronising and unprofessional! Are consultants going to be dancing alongside, or are they too important? It makes it appear that nurses are frivolous and unimportant which is far from the case. If I was a nurse I would be extremely offended - in fact I've just had an idea - why don't they choreograph it in the Carry On style with lookielikies from the Carry On gang re jigging Carry On Matron? It wouldn't be any more offensive to the profession I'm sure!
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 17:15   #30
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
in fact I've just had an idea - why don't they choreograph it in the Carry On style with lookielikies from the Carry On gang re jigging Carry On Matron? It wouldn't be any more offensive to the profession I'm sure!
I don't think even that would work for me. It still disparages a hard working and worthy profession. It taints its credibility and does absolutely nothing to 'celebrate' the NHS.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..