Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: What price can poor Accrington afford? How much will people pay?
£10 14 53.85%
£8 5 19.23%
£5 1 3.85%
FREE 3 11.54%
£13/15 next game half price 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2007, 16:38   #1

Attendances

I know there is a 17 page spread covering this topic but just wondered what peoples view was on this regarding the price to gain entrance etc. Accrington is hardly fluroshing with employment and industry and we were recently named and shamed as one of the most unemployed areas of uk only missing out on the throne to tower hamlets in london and canning town in london i think. Do you think this is a big contributing issue rather than no-one caring about ASFC? I know we are the cheapest in League 2 apart from Bradford but £13 out of £30-£40 a week is hell of alot and unfortunately we are not like the geordies or glaswegians who would starve to go to football. Concluding I wonder what you think the price would have to be to attract more fans.
Accrington Web
Old 09-09-2007, 16:59   #2

Re: Attendances

Does the whole of Accrington/Hyndburn all know under12s get on for FREE? I dont think they do for a start.
Old 09-09-2007, 17:00   #3
Senior Member+

i think it does need to be addressed.

the amount of people i speak to and ask why they dont come down any more is that its simply 2 expensive.

To me £10 for adults 5 for Kids/ OAP's would bring in so many more supporters i just hope the club might try it?? why not theres nothing to lose??
Old 09-09-2007, 17:11   #4
God Member

very few people in Accrington know the kids get in for nowt - we hardly ever seem sure of the current situation!

as for price driopping it doesn't matter, Eric has said we can't afford to drop it. Personally I'd like the next cup game to be made a big effort of and charge only a fiver
Old 09-09-2007, 17:13   #5

Its been publicised 'shame on the non-attenders' in the media but once again there is a much bigger picture. UNEMPLOYMENT is a major factor i think.
Old 09-09-2007, 17:30   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i think a big factor sadly is 62-68, when accrington had NO team, i and many other kids of that era,had to go elsewhere and naturally as we grew n got wed etc,took our kids,and so it goes on, football is tribal and very few fans ever change alleigance that is a fact. stanley therefore unfortunatly have the hardest task of ANY club to attract fans, to me the best way is for them to Concentrate harder on making it attractive to kids, cos once you got em,you got em for life,the fact that people think many dont even know under 12s are free is not a good reflection on the Google Page Ranking people i think.i'm not being nasty cos ive always had a soft spot for my first love,but i think its a professional football team,run by well meaning amatuers. something at that level has to change. good luck for the rest of the season.
Old 09-09-2007, 17:55   #7

Was yesterdays attendance the lowest we have had in the football league?
I would like to think we could pull 10% out of 30 odd thousand residents in Accrington.
We would be like Wigan I think, top of the championship with 6,000 (including 3,000 away fans) then Premier league another 12,000 would turn up saying theyve always been a red.(IF WE GOT A CASH INJECTION THAT IS)
But if we are lowest paid, fewest jobs area of ENGLAND then surely this has to be taken into effect when deciding prices for admission. I know Eric cant drop the prices but it looks like the town cant afford 13/15 pounds.
Old 09-09-2007, 18:04   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus_was_A_red_ View Post
Its been publicised 'shame on the non-attenders' in the media
The more people are labelled by the club as shameful for not attending the more people will stay away. Thats how human nature works I'm afraid.

As cashy said there have been generations lost and it will take years to overcome that. However I do find it strange that one group of people seem not be favoured, that of the mid teens ie 12-16 yrs.

While the match day price is similar to the other 2 local clubs the season ticket price is slightly more than double the price at Burnley and I suspect Rovers have a similar low price.

Does a 13 yr old have more income than a 12 yr old ? Is this not a generation that should be targeted for future growth, after all within a few short years these are the kids who themselves will start having kids of their own.

Why is the ST price for this age group so expensive ?
Old 09-09-2007, 18:09   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus_was_A_red_ View Post
Was yesterdays attendance the lowest we have had in the football league?
NO. Two night matches last year were lower, makes the switch to Friday nights in October look a bit odd, but we shall see.

3 home games in 8 days must be a factor, also we're not the only ones suffering a dip (see Hereford). Let's hope the results bring people back and keep them coming, fingers crossed.

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Old 09-09-2007, 18:17   #10

Agree with that under 16s perhaps could have another reduction. Then under 21s , you dont even get minimum wage until your 22 in factories etc if the company wishes. Loyalty cards could be an option (4 games 5th free) but that might be a bit too futuristic for a club that cant even produce a paper stubb/receipt in return for your admission fee. i think 18-25 age group is missing aswell when i look around the stands apart from the ultras.
Old 09-09-2007, 18:24   #11
God Member

Not sure anyone goes to an under 21 group.

Stanley already have the best free entry option ( under 12 ) . I think the nearest one to that is under 7's free at Preston. At Burnley there is no free admission group and I'm sure somebody could enlighten us with what the others do.

I think concessions for most clubs stop at 16 with possibly a student rate for those above 16 but still at college/university.

Perhaps they could try all under 16's free as long as it's bought with an adult ticket ?
Old 09-09-2007, 18:26   #12

A few away grounds had under 21s last season. Bury did.
Old 09-09-2007, 18:43   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
iwhy not theres nothing to lose??
There is if you're one of the 118 season ticket holders this year. Season ticket holders were treated poorly last year, so if we ended up out of pocket this year, nobody would be buying one next year.

You can't go reducing prices mid-way through a season. They did it with the under-12s and alienated sections of the fanbase.
Old 09-09-2007, 19:01   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

the population late 50s early60s was very similar to now, then stanley were only getting around 3000 gates,there was full employment and a couple of 100 immigrants,those being polish,italian,ukraine,etc those countries are football based, what we have now is a similar population BUT 1000s of immigrants mainly from asia NOT football based countries, so whilst their is substance in the lowpay,unemployment theory there is many things that contribute to stanleys problem.are the club doing anything to attract these potential new fans? i think not,on the basis that the match i went to last season i did not see 1. theres an avenue there for the club to investigate surely. its a very difficult task attracting new people,so to me every possibility the club needs to explore. cos although the population is pretty constant,the Balance has changed.
Old 09-09-2007, 19:36   #15
Senior Member+

I saw an Asian bloke on the match yesterday. At the Clayton End too.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..