Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: What price can poor Accrington afford? How much will people pay?
£10 14 53.85%
£8 5 19.23%
£5 1 3.85%
FREE 3 11.54%
£13/15 next game half price 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2007, 21:50   #31

Re: Attendances

People say they would go to watch Stanley if the prices were reduced, but would they? Last season against Torquay -Free admission -Official attendance 4005. I know there were the usual Stanley cock-ups which meant some people (including some season ticket holders) couldn't get in. I know some people were highly sceptical about the reported gate, but similar things happen most weeks.

That's a 100% reduction in ticket prices generating a 77% increase on last years average gate of 2260 (ANDYS STATS.CO.UK - Attendance stats). I suspect that, of those 77%, the vast majority wouldn't have gone had it been a tenner (a 30% reduction). Without wishing to flaunt my economics 'A' level, that points to an inelastic demand. Put simply, the extra punters generated don't make up for the loss in revenue from the existing ones. It's the mirror image of the reason governments can screw smokers and drinkers every budget, not enough give up, or reduce their intake, to cancel out the tax hike.

Eric has a little bit of scope around the margins, to let in groups who wouldn't normally be seen dead at Stanley games, in the hope they'll catch the bug or, at least, spend a few bob in the bar, but he has no chance of increasing total gate receipts by offering "across the board" reductions. Apart from everything else it would cause a riot among those of us who have forked out for season tickets if he to cut match day prices in mid season.

In the short term Coley has to produce in a winning team, playing good football and Eric will see a modest increase in attendances.

In the long term the club has to concentrate on getting the kids into the habit of going. Swamp the schools with free tickets, get the players involved coaching in local schools, stop having meetings about meetings about involving the community in the club and actually do something for a change!

That way, in ten or twenty years time we might, just might, have a generation of adults paying to watch Accrington Stanley rather than going to watch Rovers, Burnley, Man Utd, etc., etc.
Accrington Web
Old 10-09-2007, 22:51   #32
God Member

in a nutshell
Old 10-09-2007, 23:29   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin Monkey View Post
In the short term Coley has to produce in a winning team, playing good football and Eric will see a modest increase in attendances.

In the long term the club has to concentrate on getting the kids into the habit of going. Swamp the schools with free tickets, get the players involved coaching in local schools, stop having meetings about meetings about involving the community in the club and actually do something for a change!

That way, in ten or twenty years time we might, just might, have a generation of adults paying to watch Accrington Stanley rather than going to watch Rovers, Burnley, Man Utd, etc., etc.
Agree 100%
Old 11-09-2007, 08:48   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
very few people in Accrington know the kids get in for nowt - we hardly ever seem sure of the current situation!

as for price driopping it doesn't matter, Eric has said we can't afford to drop it. Personally I'd like the next cup game to be made a big effort of and charge only a fiver
I dont understand how they cant afford it. Sureley they would rather have a ground full of people who have paid say a fiver or tenner rather than an empty one!!! I am a Burnley fan but it seems everytime Burnley dont have a game on a Saturday they put the price up on the tickets at the Stanley doesnt make any sense to me!

Have you seen me dancing, i mean really dancing!!!

Old 11-09-2007, 08:56   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire Cal View Post
I dont understand how they cant afford it. Sureley they would rather have a ground full of people who have paid say a fiver or tenner rather than an empty one!!! I am a Burnley fan but it seems everytime Burnley dont have a game on a Saturday they put the price up on the tickets at the Stanley doesnt make any sense to me!
They haven't put the league prices up at stanley certainly on the adult gate price since our entry to league 2

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Old 11-09-2007, 09:57   #36
God Member

And neither do we change the admission price according to which 'category' of team we're playing as some other teams do, so no idea where you're coming from????
Old 11-09-2007, 11:30   #37
Senior Member+

Sounds like a statement from some who doesn't quite know what they are talking about.

In all honesty, you aren't going to boost gates in the short term. I live in Darwen and if Darwen FC were to go on a promotion run over the next few years and rise to the Conference or Football League, I still wouldn't go and watch them. I'm a Stanley fan and will always watch the team I support. I wouldn't even be tempted to support Darwen as a second team, as I have little interest in them.

The same can be said for all those football fans who turned to Burnley, Blackburn, Manchester Utd, etc when Stanley had no team, or a team playing at a very amateur level. They aren't suddenly going to say, "I see Stanley are back in the League and as I live in Accrington I'm going to switch my support. It isn't going to happen. There are also a couple of generations of children who have grown up in households where Stanley isn't the family team, so we've missed all those too.

If Stanley are going to boost their crowds it has to be a long-term project. Statrt off with the kids and maybe we'll see bigger gates in the future. Of course, it all depends on how long we have got for it to happen, and if the club has enough initiative to make it happen.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:53   #38
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
Sounds like a statement from some who doesn't quite know what they are talking about.

In all honesty, you aren't going to boost gates in the short term. I live in Darwen and if Darwen FC were to go on a promotion run over the next few years and rise to the Conference or Football League, I still wouldn't go and watch them. I'm a Stanley fan and will always watch the team I support. I wouldn't even be tempted to support Darwen as a second team, as I have little interest in them.

The same can be said for all those football fans who turned to Burnley, Blackburn, Manchester Utd, etc when Stanley had no team, or a team playing at a very amateur level. They aren't suddenly going to say, "I see Stanley are back in the League and as I live in Accrington I'm going to switch my support. It isn't going to happen. There are also a couple of generations of children who have grown up in households where Stanley isn't the family team, so we've missed all those too.

If Stanley are going to boost their crowds it has to be a long-term project. Statrt off with the kids and maybe we'll see bigger gates in the future. Of course, it all depends on how long we have got for it to happen, and if the club has enough initiative to make it happen.
well said TM, its what ive been saying, as one of those you mention, it can happen,it must happen, but only the "club" can MAKE it happen. i would be the happiest bloke in the world if they got off the "pot" and acheived it.
Old 11-09-2007, 13:01   #39
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post

There are few things in this life that are as lasting as the choice and commitment given to your first club. Stanley for us is one of them. Unfortunately as you have pointed out before those that made their choice 40 odd years are unlikely to change either, we need to new blood and life of Accrington and District to fill the voids, irrespective of their colour, creed, religion. If we can get them and keep them then their colour will be Red, there creed will be Accrington and their religion will be Stanley.

OK, which way was the door……………….

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 11-09-2007, 13:17   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
This is going to be the life blood of the club and they need to be encouraged any way possible. It may mean spending a few bob and giving away t shirts or getting players involved with individual schools but we must speculate to accumulate.

Old 11-09-2007, 13:22   #41
God Member

You might want to get somebody to wipe out all the Sky dishes and dig up all the cable. Thats a far bigger problem than any history or feeling of local belonging to a football team these days.
Old 15-09-2007, 12:20   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
You might want to get somebody to wipe out all the Sky dishes and dig up all the cable. Thats a far bigger problem than any history or feeling of local belonging to a football team these days.
I like many i suspect agree with this, we all know the adverse affact that televised games have had on gate numbers, even the dinner time KO`s have done harm to, how many people do you know have said "oh i`ll come down Accy with you on Saturday" only to go out for the lunchtime game, have a few jars and then decide to spend the rest of the afternoon in the pub, its not just Accrington that are suffering from this as this will happen across the board, other factors i think that also contribute are computers, games consoles and Saturday afternoon shopping, how many kids do you know that would rather spend all their time sat infront of a virtual world of friends rather than get out and see the real one ?.
Bring back the all games are played on a Saturday at 3pm with no highlights shown until Match Of The Day, the golden age of football died when Sky got their hands on it.
Ok i`m off to meet my virtual girlfriend now, she wants to go shopping
Old 15-09-2007, 12:46   #43
God Member

Even worse this weekend with sky sports being free !!

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Old 22-12-2007, 19:04   #44

I really think taking all suggestions and opinions into consideration on this topic it is as simple as the alphabet. STANLEY rise to top of table gates rise. Simple as. I really dont think there is another solution.
Closed Thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..