Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26117Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-11-2012, 14:08   #2986
God Member

Re: Today in pictures

This one is for Sue -as she didn't see them flowering in Madeira. This is in the garden of the Hotel I go to on Garda. Was taken in September.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bird of Paradise flower.jpg (25.1 KB, 2 views)

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-11-2012, 15:32   #2987
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
This one is for Sue -as she didn't see them flowering in Madeira. This is in the garden of the Hotel I go to on Garda. Was taken in September.
Thanks for the Strelitzia, Dianne - not sure whether I like them as a flower but they are certainly striking. I am more into the cottage garden type of thing.

I see we have just clocked up page 200 on this thread - well done all!

Today I'm moving on to Cape Verde and starting with some flowers and other odds and ends.

We were supposed to go to two of the islands but thanks to rough weather on the way only managed one stop, Mindelo on Sao Vicente, a shame because I think the other, at the capital, Praia, would have been more interesting.

The islands were Portuguese until about forty years ago when they became independent and they have suffered since then. The infrastructure is lacking and they have suffered famine, mainly due to drought from lack of rainfall. They are supposed to be an up and coming holiday destination but I don't think it's penetrated to the island we visited. We saw one new holiday development but it looked a bit half hearted. The climate is hot and humid every single day with very little rainfall and the island was very barren. Again the islands are volcanic and for those of you who remember my pictures of the Svalbard archipelago near the North Pole - the mountains are like that but without any snow!

It was a Sunday when we visited so most of the streets in my pics look fairly deserted but we were assured that on other days the place is thronging with life.

Anyway, here goes...

1. Hibiscus growing by the roadside in town
  2. Close up of above
  3. The leaves look like an acacia and there were plenty of larger trees about bearing lots of bean-type pods
  4. Not sure what this is
  5. Have to pass on this one as well
  6. Grasshopper - there were lots of these about in the mountains. Not nearly as large and fierce as it looks!
  7. There seems to be a tradition of visiting ships leaving their calling cards painted on the harbour wall. A lot were in this charmingly naive style. Four examples here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA280224 (325x400).jpg (158.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg PA280226 (346x400).jpg (136.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg PA280252 (400x300).jpg (135.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg PA280253 (300x400).jpg (134.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg PA280267 (300x400).jpg (163.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg PA280276 (400x261).jpg (107.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg PA280211 (400x300).jpg (131.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg PA280212 (300x400).jpg (109.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg PA280238 (400x300).jpg (107.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg PA280239 (400x300).jpg (97.9 KB, 11 views)
Old 16-11-2012, 18:58   #2988
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Thanks for the Strelitzia, Dianne - not sure whether I like them as a flower but they are certainly striking. I am more into the cottage garden type of thing.

I see we have just clocked up page 200 on this thread - well done all!

Today I'm moving on to Cape Verde and starting with some flowers and other odds and ends.

We were supposed to go to two of the islands but thanks to rough weather on the way only managed one stop, Mindelo on Sao Vicente, a shame because I think the other, at the capital, Praia, would have been more interesting.

The islands were Portuguese until about forty years ago when they became independent and they have suffered since then. The infrastructure is lacking and they have suffered famine, mainly due to drought from lack of rainfall. They are supposed to be an up and coming holiday destination but I don't think it's penetrated to the island we visited. We saw one new holiday development but it looked a bit half hearted. The climate is hot and humid every single day with very little rainfall and the island was very barren. Again the islands are volcanic and for those of you who remember my pictures of the Svalbard archipelago near the North Pole - the mountains are like that but without any snow!

It was a Sunday when we visited so most of the streets in my pics look fairly deserted but we were assured that on other days the place is thronging with life.

Anyway, here goes...

1. Hibiscus growing by the roadside in town
  2. Close up of above
  3. The leaves look like an acacia and there were plenty of larger trees about bearing lots of bean-type pods
  4. Not sure what this is
  5. Have to pass on this one as well
  6. Grasshopper - there were lots of these about in the mountains. Not nearly as large and fierce as it looks!
  7. There seems to be a tradition of visiting ships leaving their calling cards painted on the harbour wall. A lot were in this charmingly naive style. Four examples here
Nice flowers growing wild, to some they are weeds. I would say 3 and 5 were mimosa, same leaves and pods, if it were not for the flowers, which don't look like them.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 19:44   #2989
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Nice flowers growing wild, to some they are weeds. I would say 3 and 5 were mimosa, same leaves and pods, if it were not for the flowers, which don't look like them.
These two look more like the kind of flowers I snapped.

Acacia | Acacia trees, Acacia wood
TrekNature | Acacia Photo
Old 16-11-2012, 22:27   #2990
Senior Member+

Quote:
These two look more like the kind of flowers I snapped.

Acacia | Acacia trees, Acacia wood
TrekNature | Acacia Photo
You may be right as the flowers do look acacia like, it was the leaves that swayed me. You will notice they have semi closed, as is the way with mimosa. As you were there you will have more of a sence of the plant, than I will from a photo.
Old 17-11-2012, 11:26   #2991
God Member

Nice photos Sue -I do like my flowers! My mum has beautiful Hibiscus growing in her garden. Love the hand-painted boats/signs!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 17-11-2012, 17:53   #2992
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Nice photos Sue -I do like my flowers! My mum has beautiful Hibiscus growing in her garden. Love the hand-painted boats/signs!
The boat pictures were really charming and fun - not seen anything like it anywhere else.

Today, my first batch of snaps from Cape Verde...

1. Rock with a lighthouse on top through the porthole - our first sighting of Cape Verde
  2. Ship in harbour, showing the barrenness of the landscape
  3. They are doing some experiments with wind turbines
  4. The harbour, with town behind and spectacular mountain
  5. It was Sunday and the locals were enjoying the town beach
  6. Smart building on the sea front
  7. Courtyard in old building converted to arts centre
  8. The main market
  9. Inside the market - it was closed, being Sunday, but we were allowed to look inside. Remind you of anywhere?
  10. Government building
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1047 (400x300).jpg (122.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg PA280206 (400x300).jpg (98.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg PA280217 (400x158).jpg (58.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg PA280223 (400x173).jpg (66.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg PA280233 (400x300).jpg (103.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg PA280242 (400x300).jpg (121.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg PA280243 (400x300).jpg (108.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg PA280254 (345x400).jpg (105.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1065 (300x400).jpg (111.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg PA280255 (400x312).jpg (106.5 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by susie123; 17-11-2012 at 17:56.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 19:25   #2993
Senior Member+

Quote:
The boat pictures were really charming and fun - not seen anything like it anywhere else.

Today, my first batch of snaps from Cape Verde...

1. Rock with a lighthouse on top through the porthole - our first sighting of Cape Verde
  2. Ship in harbour, showing the barrenness of the landscape
  3. They are doing some experiments with wind turbines
  4. The harbour, with town behind and spectacular mountain
  5. It was Sunday and the locals were enjoying the town beach
  6. Smart building on the sea front
  7. Courtyard in old building converted to arts centre
  8. The main market
  9. Inside the market - it was closed, being Sunday, but we were allowed to look inside. Remind you of anywhere?
  10. Government building
Interesting architecture, very colonial
Old 17-11-2012, 19:28   #2994
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Yes indeed - the British had a strong presence in this town in the 19th century and the pink governmental building in pic 10 has overtones of colonial India. The newer stuff on the edge of the town is often unfinished - folks start a house, leave the country to get a job and then add bits to the house when they have the money. Doesn't make for a very pretty streetscene, though I am told that they keep the houses very nice inside.

Last edited by susie123; 17-11-2012 at 19:31.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 19:42   #2995
Senior Member+

Today in Pictures. a bit of a moist outing.

1. The end of the rainbow was just behind that wall. The wet bit is Jackhouse Reservoir.
2. Walking up to the waterfall, I noticed someone under the overhang, certain parts of my body tightened.
3. I hope I wont get probed.
4. The point at which I do a left turn.
5. One of the streams that feed into the reservoir.
6. Almost at the edge of the woods.
7. At the edge.
8. Another of the streams that runs through the woods.
9. Looking toward Pendle Hill, the colours are the sun reflecting off the rain in the clouds. The sun is behind me, a long way behind, but behind never the less.
10. Looking off to the right of my position.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF9315.JPG (469.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF9327.JPG (496.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF9333.JPG (479.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF9344.JPG (498.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF9363.JPG (483.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF9368.JPG (440.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF9386.JPG (415.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF9400.JPG (467.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF9419.JPG (486.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF9442.JPG (475.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 17-11-2012, 19:53   #2996
Resting In Peace

Quote:
2. Walking up to the waterfall, I noticed someone under the overhang, certain parts of my body tightened.
Well you're still here to tell the tale so you obviously didn't get abducted - unless they let you go?
Old 17-11-2012, 20:09   #2997
Senior Member+

Quote:
Well you're still here to tell the tale so you obviously didn't get abducted - unless they let you go?
I can't remember, although I am walking funny
Old 18-11-2012, 09:12   #2998
God Member

Quote:
My thoughts exactly Dave! Love the courtyard with the large painting on the wall.

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 18-11-2012, 09:24   #2999
God Member

Quote:
Today in Pictures. a bit of a moist outing.

1. The end of the rainbow was just behind that wall. The wet bit is Jackhouse Reservoir.
4. The point at which I do a left turn.
5. One of the streams that feed into the reservoir.
6. Almost at the edge of the woods.
7. At the edge.
8. Another of the streams that runs through the woods.
9. Looking toward Pendle Hill, the colours are the sun reflecting off the rain in the clouds. The sun is behind me, a long way behind, but behind never the less.
10. Looking off to the right of my position.
Lovely set of photos Dave, back to your natural watery habitat! I wonder who thought to give the alien a shower? I particularly love the rainbow and the heavy,illuminated skies in number 9 has great depth to it. When i saw your silouhette in number 10 I thought "Wow! I'd crop that and frame it." to bring out the effect -hope you don't mind me doing it for you!
If you download it and look at it full size (instead of thumbnail) it's quite spectacular!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Silouhette.jpg (20.6 KB, 7 views)

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 18-11-2012, 10:38   #3000
Senior Member+

Quote:
Lovely set of photos Dave, back to your natural watery habitat! I wonder who thought to give the alien a shower? I particularly love the rainbow and the heavy,illuminated skies in number 9 has great depth to it. When i saw your silouhette in number 10 I thought "Wow! I'd crop that and frame it." to bring out the effect -hope you don't mind me doing it for you!
If you download it and look at it full size (instead of thumbnail) it's quite spectacular!
I am always grateful for input and suggestions on my pictures as I don't always see the possibilities. I will be uploading it to my flickr page later today, It may give you a better quality to download from there if you want to use it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..