Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26117Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 07:00   #2911

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Davemac and I have had this discussion about what each of us sees in a photograph.......and I am glad that you have said some of the things that we have said......it underlines our thoughts precisely.
Which is why I wish some of the National Heritage properties would sell us snappers a licence to photograph the loveliness of their buildings, instead of an expensively produced glossy brochure.

These days you can take good pictures without using flash - they don't like you to use flash as it may cause light damge to artefacts. I would have loved to take pictures inside Osborne House, but it was forbidden - but I could have paid almost ten quid for a brochure with pictures, to which I had no personal connection....and personal connection is the key to your own photo's.
Hear! Hear! I couldn't have said it better myself and totally agree.
Accrington Web
Old 07-11-2012, 11:03   #2912
Beacon of light

I should have said English Heritage and National Trust properties...it was early and my brain was still a bit foggy with sleep.

These national bodies do not realise that selling a licence to an amateur photographer is all profit......there is no outlay for printing and marketing.....and they would still sell those glossy brochures to people who had visited without a camera....so it is a win win situation for them.

I would happily have paid a tenner for a licence to take pics in Osborne House.......as it is, I did sneak a picture inside the house, but it was of an outside view - an elevated position that allowed me to capture the Solent that runs past the bottom of the very vast grounds of this place......but taking pictures of any of the inside was impossble because there were vigilant staff in every room...watching out for transgressors.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:12   #2913
God Member

It is a shame when they stop you from taking photographs like you say Margaret, professional photos are generally a bit like a catalogue of contents in stately homes etc. and don't capture the feelings a place gives uniquely to you as an individual. We all "see" things differently and catch aspects of certain things with our own eye. That I suppose is the "art" in photography and it's individualism.

I really must get my camera out and get out and about again - for now I will just post one picture which is the view I've been seeing the most of recently. It's the view from my laptop on a grey day -we've been having a lot of fog but it's glorious today!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5898.jpg (20.7 KB, 12 views)

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:41   #2914

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
It is a shame when they stop you from taking photographs like you say Margaret, professional photos are generally a bit like a catalogue of contents in stately homes etc. and don't capture the feelings a place gives uniquely to you as an individual. We all "see" things differently and catch aspects of certain things with our own eye. That I suppose is the "art" in photography and it's individualism.

I really must get my camera out and get out and about again - for now I will just post one picture which is the view I've been seeing the most of recently. It's the view from my laptop on a grey day -we've been having a lot of fog but it's glorious today!
Hiya Dianne,

Thank you for the welcome and comment via Karma, much appreciated

I was just in the shops today and saw a vase exactly as you have in your photo, which is a very lovely relaxing and warm photo indeed. I didn't buy a vase, but on seeing your photo and how lovely it looks I am going back to the shop to purchase one

Thanks for sharing your photo with us.

Cheers

Dawn
Old 07-11-2012, 18:35   #2915
Senior Member+

They don't mind you taking photos inside Castle Howard. Maybe they would if I had used a flash gun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3862.jpg (433.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3864.jpg (384.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3867.jpg (483.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3872.jpg (495.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3876.jpg (501.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3877.jpg (502.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 07-11-2012, 18:45   #2916
Senior Member+

how do they cope with all of the "camera phones", surely they cant monitor everyone?

join me on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/61983378@N07/
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 20:15   #2917
Beacon of light

I'm telling you, they watch you like hawks and any hint of a bit of kit that would take a photograph and they are onto you.
I have been in Osborne House a few times.......my last point and shoot camera was quite small but I got spotted trying to take a picture of the Royal bathroom.......I was made to feel like a five year old......I almost went and sat on the naughty step.

Yet we went to Plas Newydd on Anglesey and we were allowed to take pictures as long as we did not activate the flash......there were attendants dotted about the place, but nothing like the numbers in Osborne House - where there were two or three to a room.
Old 07-11-2012, 20:24   #2918
Senior Member+

Talking Re: Today in pictures

Quote:
I'm telling you, they watch you like hawks and any hint of a bit of kit that would take a photograph and they are onto you.
I have been in Osborne House a few times.......my last point and shoot camera was quite small but I got spotted trying to take a picture of the Royal bathroom.......I was made to feel like a five year old......I almost went and sat on the naughty step.

Yet we went to Plas Newydd on Anglesey and we were allowed to take pictures as long as we did not activate the flash......there were attendants dotted about the place, but nothing like the numbers in Osborne House - where there were two or three to a room.
methinks it is more to protect their "copyright" than the effects of flash, which to my knowledge most if not all modern flash have UV filtering glass and its UV light that does the damage, (although a study has shown that it only does the same as a musuems electric light sources)

just another way of creaming us of some more of our hard earned, bet f i wanted to do a private photo session and was willing to make "a substantial" contribution, that would be ok'd by the curator

Old 07-11-2012, 20:34   #2919
Beacon of light

I'm sure you are right, but as I say, I would be quite willing to pay for a snappers licence -(they do this in some of the large cathedrals) because it is money for the coffers with very little in the way of outlay...they just put a sticky badge on your coat.
They would still sell their glossy brochures, as some people do not want to take pics and prefer to have the sanitised product( when I say that I mean with no people in the shot).

The pictures I take are personal to me...they mean something...they have the essence of the visit...and they provide a wonderful diversion for my elderly disabled Mum when we get back home......I put them onto disc and she can watch them on her TV...this way she gets to visit places that are sometimes inaccesible to wheelchairs.

In Plas Newydd we were not allowed to photograph the very large Whistler Mural......that was because it is still under copyright.
Old 07-11-2012, 21:22   #2920
Senior Member+

Quote:
I'm sure you are right, but as I say, I would be quite willing to pay for a snappers licence -(they do this in some of the large cathedrals) because it is money for the coffers with very little in the way of outlay...they just put a sticky badge on your coat.
They would still sell their glossy brochures, as some people do not want to take pics and prefer to have the sanitised product( when I say that I mean with no people in the shot).

The pictures I take are personal to me...they mean something...they have the essence of the visit...and they provide a wonderful diversion for my elderly disabled Mum when we get back home......I put them onto disc and she can watch them on her TV...this way she gets to visit places that are sometimes inaccesible to wheelchairs.

In Plas Newydd we were not allowed to photograph the very large Whistler Mural......that was because it is still under copyright.
on a purely egotistical note, if you think your mum would like some of my wanderings on a dvd, namely the videos of my pics that i think you have viewed, i would be more than happy to oblige just let me know, and pm me where to drop it off.

Old 08-11-2012, 18:48   #2921
Senior Member+

Today in Pictures, they look almost sepia today. the entire collection was taken from the dunkenhalgh land boundary, close to the canal at Church, and finishes at the Rishton dip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF8617.JPG (429.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8626.JPG (444.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8631.JPG (427.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8646.JPG (435.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8660.JPG (401.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8666.JPG (401.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8668.JPG (493.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8678.JPG (438.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8685.JPG (431.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8697.JPG (384.7 KB, 10 views)
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:00   #2922
God Member

Beautiful colours again Dave and an area I now so well...I especially like number 8. Looks like it was a nice day for a walk.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 15:03   #2923
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Beautiful colours again Dave and an area I now so well...I especially like number 8. Looks like it was a nice day for a walk.
Thanks for that, it was one of those days when dark clouds were passing over, then a bit of sunshine, so overall it was a nice day, but we are losing the light just after 4 o'clock now, so it is a short afternoon for photos.
Old 10-11-2012, 15:47   #2924
Senior Member+

Today in Pictures, I fancy getting my feet wet.

1. Hameldon Woods, the broad-leaf section, and the location of the stream.
2. Lets walk as far up as we can.
3. Yes, its definitely wet.
4. A quick look back.
5. I think I am halfway upstream.
6. Yes I am.
7. There are sign that this stream had a use.
8. There are grooves cut into the bedrock !
9. I have gone up as far as the barbed wire fence would let me.
10. This is the point at which I will return to the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF8779.JPG (481.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8793.JPG (452.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8798.JPG (400.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8799.JPG (412.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8809.JPG (415.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8816.JPG (466.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8824.JPG (473.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8834.JPG (404.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8842.JPG (407.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8858.JPG (487.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-11-2012, 16:44   #2925
Senior Member+

Great pics as usual Dave I love pic 7 Bob looks like he is surfing. Where is Hameldon Woods?
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..