Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2007, 13:18   #16

Re: Homes at ‘pickle works’

i live near there and like gayle said it keeps being set on fire and general vandalism, but im not sure i agree with houses being put up either.
broadhurst7173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-10-2007, 08:06   #17
Senior Member+

Aye 3 storey not in keeping with the area, one of our local councillors made the same comment about an application to build on the old spring hill club site.
Strange though barnfield construction/HBC in partnership build that multi storey block behind scaitcliffe house, also plan to build apartment blocks in gt harwood.
What about the latest application from Taylor Woodrow Construction ltd relating to an access road to land adjacent to stanhill road

Seems there is a lack of consistency from HBC planning committee here.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 13:51   #18

Red face Re: Homes at ‘pickle works’

As a student in the early 70's I worked at the Escourts Pickle Factory in Stanhill Village. From what I can remember it was more or less opposite the Stanhill Pub. Could this be the site of the development. I've left the area now so I don't know if the factory has been demolished. I remember the Stanhill fete was held in a field behind the factory.
LESLEY EASTWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 14:49   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Hang on - isn't there a big derelict factory there at the moment? Surely that's an eyesore in itself, plus it's been set on fire at least once that I know of.

Would you rather that stayed there?
so are you saying, build anything, cos its better than whats there? if so am surprised at that.
Old 12-12-2007, 18:19   #20
Resident Waffler

It's still there and still derelict but it would be nice to have something a bit more attractive than those proposed 3 story Barret block type things.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 09:06   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
so are you saying, build anything, cos its better than whats there? if so am surprised at that.

No, I'm not saying 'anything' would be better but I have to say that I'm confused as to why this is a problem. There is a derelict and dangerous building there which they plan to knock down and they plan to build new houses, which Hyndburn needs. Barratt homes are nice and despite the bad press they got about ten years ago are actually of a high quality and they make them look attractive with trees and lawns.

The objection about three storey homes puzzles me because they still wouldn't be as big as the factory.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 10:23   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
No, I'm not saying 'anything' would be better but I have to say that I'm confused as to why this is a problem. There is a derelict and dangerous building there which they plan to knock down and they plan to build new houses, which Hyndburn needs. Barratt homes are nice and despite the bad press they got about ten years ago are actually of a high quality and they make them look attractive with trees and lawns.

The objection about three storey homes puzzles me because they still wouldn't be as big as the factory.
Barrat homes high quality?wouldn't let them creosote a hen coit, but thats another story,lol high price for crap maybe, i would imagine 3 storey would be higher than the factory it dont look that high to me
Old 13-12-2007, 12:21   #23
Resident Waffler

The factory looks two storey to me too.

Old 13-12-2007, 13:28   #24
God Member

Factory ceilings are a lot higher than house ceilings!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 16:13   #25
God Member

I think it's an ideal place for a panopticon.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 16:42   #26
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Factory ceilings are a lot higher than house ceilings!
Well it didn't seem a lot higher when I went in there, up the steps and into the reception/office area. That would equate with the upstairs of a house.

Old 13-12-2007, 19:24   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Well it didn't seem a lot higher when I went in there, up the steps and into the reception/office area. That would equate with the upstairs of a house.
give up willow, i have.
Old 23-12-2007, 16:21   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
The scheme will see 28 apartments and 31 houses built, some of which will be three storeys high
28 apartments, wow, one of our Councillors in the "local press" indicated that Hyndburn was becoming a town full of apartment blocks which was not good for the image of HBC. That was after the planning committee had turned down yet another development of you guessed " apartment blocks" Not counting the development behind Scaitecliffe towers, but still the developer there is Barnfield in partnership with HBC

Albert Einstein.

Old 10-01-2008, 23:13   #29
God Member

Residents Fight Homes Plan (from Lancashire Telegraph)
The council has withdrawn opposition to Barratts plans.

"The scheme will see 28 apartments and 31 houses built, some of which will be three storeys high.

The site, which is bounded by the former landfill site at Stanhill Quarry and the green belt at the edge of Oswaldtwistle, is known locally as the pickle factory.

The public inquiry and appeal will take place at Hyndburn Council's Scaitcliffe House offices in Ormerod Street, Accrington, on Tuesday, February 12, starting at 10am

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:24   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Residents Fight Homes Plan (from Lancashire Telegraph)
The council has withdrawn opposition to Barratts plans.

"The scheme will see 28 apartments and 31 houses built, some of which will be three storeys high.

The site, which is bounded by the former landfill site at Stanhill Quarry and the green belt at the edge of Oswaldtwistle, is known locally as the pickle factory.

The public inquiry and appeal will take place at Hyndburn Council's Scaitcliffe House offices in Ormerod Street, Accrington, on Tuesday, February 12, starting at 10am
I think there has been a directive from HM gov to all Planning authorities regarding the refusal of applications which the gov say has reduced the number of houses built over the last 5 years. Why else would HBC planning officers do a 'U' turn. Shall have to find out more information

Albert Einstein.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..