Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2008, 08:17   #31
Resident Waffler

Re: Homes at ‘pickle works’

Nothing wrong with building more houses - just why do they have to be 3 story?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-01-2008, 08:36   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Nothing wrong with building more houses - just why do they have to be 3 story?
More houses on the same space of land!

I'm not saying that as a positive because I don't particularly like the idea of a three storey house, but even so, I'm sure that's why the developers do it.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:06   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
More houses on the same space of land!

I'm not saying that as a positive because I don't particularly like the idea of a three storey house, but even so, I'm sure that's why the developers do it.
3 storey means more floor area in the house, and as you say on the same plot of land as a normal 2 storey house, also at not a lot of extra cost to the builder.
My son lives in a new 3 storey house in St Helens, they have finished up having a conservatory built on at the back, to save them keep going up to the 1st floor lounge.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:08   #34
Resident Waffler

I've seen some with a garage and utility room on the bottom and then lounge kitchen etc on level one and the bedrooms above that so I suppose it does save on ground space.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:18   #35
Senior Member+

Thought I had seen an article regarding the number of new homes built, this may be why HBC have decided not to oppose the appeal by Barratt homes as indicated by HBC's Development Control Officer in the Telegraph

see article
Developer Welcomes Building Regulation (from Lancashire Telegraph)

Albert Einstein.

Old 13-01-2008, 15:14   #36
Senior Member+

Have spent a little time searching through HBC's website, in the main the planning section. The initial application by Barretts 11/07/0213 was recommended for acceptance by HBC's Planning Officers, it was turn down by the Planning Committee, HBC will not apose the appeal.

What I have found is posted as a link below, so much for the objections of the villagers

The document is well worth a read, very interesting.

http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...pla_report.pdf

Albert Einstein.

Old 28-01-2008, 15:08   #37
Senior Member+

The latest report on the subject, looks like its all done and dusted.

Villagers In A Pickle At Plan (from Lancashire Telegraph)

Albert Einstein.

Old 28-01-2008, 18:07   #38
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381 View Post
3 storey means more floor area in the house, and as you say on the same plot of land as a normal 2 storey house, also at not a lot of extra cost to the builder.
My son lives in a new 3 storey house in St Helens, they have finished up having a conservatory built on at the back, to save them keep going up to the 1st floor lounge.
There were lots of three story houses built in the C18th, as hand-loom weavers cottages, though not in Stanhill.

Personally I can't wait to see the back of the 'pickle factory'. It should never have been passed in the first place, and any housing will be an improvement on that eyesore.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 18:42   #39
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
There were lots of three story houses built in the C18th, as hand-loom weavers cottages, though not in Stanhill.

Personally I can't wait to see the back of the 'pickle factory'. It should never have been passed in the first place, and any housing will be an improvement on that eyesore.
I don't disagree with you on that one, but think the residents of stanhill will have a different view on the subject.

Albert Einstein.

Old 28-01-2008, 18:48   #40
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I don't disagree with you on that one, but think the residents of stanhill will have a different view on the subject.
As a former Stanhill resident that is my opinion, though as you say, might not be the opinion of all those johnny come latelys.

Old 29-01-2008, 06:50   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
As a former Stanhill resident that is my opinion, though as you say, might not be the opinion of all those johnny come latelys.
From whats been quoted in the press there are 200 residents that have that opinion

Albert Einstein.

Old 29-01-2008, 08:28   #42
Give, give, give member

Quote:
From whats been quoted in the press there are 200 residents that have that opinion
There wasn't 200 people in the photograph they used in the press, and I didn't see M. Mouse.

Old 29-01-2008, 09:40   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Just a point Rindi i.e it should never have been passed in the first place. I actually think that the plans were passed before you were born, I can remembe my late father working on that building before I was in my teens, unless there have been more updates in recent years which I can't remember.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 09:58   #44
God Member

park381 posted this link
http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...pla_report.pdf
In it it shows in detail the reasons why the residents object.

The reasons which hold most weight with me are
1- The high density development will increase the population substantially which will overload the mains services - water and sewerage - The sewerage system is already subject to flooding and overflow, and is not due to be replaced for 15 years yet.
2- The development does not make adequate provision for parking by the new residents who will inevitably resort to main road parking which is already causing problems at the present popluation level.

These 2 points have been overshadowed by the '3 storey' argument, but are valid reasons for objection in their own right.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 10:06   #45
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Just a point Rindi i.e it should never have been passed in the first place. I actually think that the plans were passed before you were born, I can remembe my late father working on that building before I was in my teens, unless there have been more updates in recent years which I can't remember.
I know. I'm told the brick facade was added in the late fifties, ten years before I arrived.

I still think it's an eyesore. As for the planned new houses, I think it is inevitable, though I do totally see the need for them to be in keeping with the village, and not to overshadow the existing cottages, something the 'pickle factory' currently does.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..