Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2009, 19:19   #16
God Member

Re: Local doorstep deliveries?

I was young once too! And funnily enough, from the age of 13 helped deliver the milk, and had my own window cleaning round until I sold it (cheap) to go to learn a trade!!
Accrington Web
Old 09-06-2009, 20:57   #17
God Member

We get milk delivered. I've always had a milkman which is strange because I don't like milk.
I get my newspapers delivered.

In fact I pretty much get most things delivered because I use Asda and Amazon who do everything else.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 21:08   #18
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
We get milk delivered. I've always had a milkman which is strange because I don't like milk.
I get my newspapers delivered.

In fact I pretty much get most things delivered because I use Asda and Amazon who do everything else.
Have you a number for your milkman? It is probably the one that will go around to Margarets
Old 10-06-2009, 07:36   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Have you a number for your milkman? It is probably the one that will go around to Margarets
Milkman - 01254 396338

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:42   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Milkman - 01254 396338
Got that thank you

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:58   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
If you can get me the phone number of one of them, I would appreciate it.
I'll try and catch one Margaret, they don't have their vans painted with livery these days, but if I can ill see if I can get a number of one of them
Old 10-06-2009, 10:12   #22
God Member

I have a stock of UHT which I will reduce before I approach a milk delivery man.
I think that some may refuse because no-one around me has milk delivered, and they may not be willing to expand their route for just me.
There is another potential problem - I would want it delivered to my front door (up 13 steps in a communal stairwell) - the entry door to the stairwell isn't unlocked until 6am.

So the more phone numbers of delivery men I have, the more chance I have of finding one who will suit my needs.

I know it might sound petty to say I need it delivered to my front door, but I don't want to descend the communal staircase in my nightclothes to collect it.
I live in a block of 4 flats, and all the other flats are occupied by single men (one of whom is not 'full shilling')

Old 10-06-2009, 10:31   #23
God Member

Perkins Butchers on Union Road do deliveries as well. My mum uses them once a week.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 16:40   #24
God Member

I have just had a cold call visit from 'Gisburn Farm' who will deliver me a pint a day, up the steps and on my doorstep, after 6 am. starting next Monday -happy now

Old 17-06-2009, 20:02   #25
God Member

Nice to know you got this sorted out Margaret, is good when a plan comes together. I saw a big van/wagon on willows lane today, 2 asian lads selling fresh fruit and veg, was a blue van at about 5.30, never seen it before, so i dont know if it is a regular visit.
Old 18-06-2009, 09:51   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
There are a couple of milkmen deliver on our estate Margaret, I know Best is one and there's another
Would the Best be a relative of Clarence Best, i remember him delivering milk in the late 50,s early 60,s,with a horse & cart .
The old horse knew at which house to stop for the milk to be delivered.
Can anyone remember a man on White Ash Lane [BOB ISHERWOOD?],who delivered fruit & veg from a truck?
We had our milk delivered by Peter Brownlow,and coal by Jimmy Hope.
south aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:53   #27
God Member

I have cancelled milk deliveries.
The delivery service was impeccable, and the whole raw milk was delicious.
The reason? - I found this lecture
http://video.google.com/googleplayer...52245997479572

Since consuming 5 pints of this delicous milk per week, I have had a recurrance of my chronic diarrhoea.

This lecture is rather long - 1hr 20 mins
If you dont have the time to watch all of it, just start to look at 40mins in where there is a list of all the common medical problems caused or aggravated by consumption of dairy products.
The part of the lecture before 40mins is very a technical explanation of the digestion of dairy products.

I hope that by eliminating dairy products I will alleviate my
fatigue
diarrhoea
breathing difficulties

Other medical problems mentioned
cataracts
infertility
asthma
diabetes
rheumatoid arthritis
..............to name just a few.

So if you have health problems it might be worth watching all this video lecture, and maybe having a test period of eliminating dairy products might be worthwhile, in order to decide what is best for you.
I will need to eat more green veg, grains, beans and legumes, to get enough calcium. Calcium is the only good thing that milk provides.

There is a section which discusses soy milk, and says that it is better than cows milk.
I disagree- because it disrupts your hormones, so I consider it the lesser of 2 evils.

To make an informed decision you need to be informed.
That is why I have posted this - you need to decide for yourself - take responsibily for your own health.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..