Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-01-2006, 16:41   #46
God Member

Re: Oswaldtwistle Shops

borough council isn't local council. borough council is for the borough and can cover some considerable distance.
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-01-2006, 16:44   #47
God Member

local council is local council for local people. tis town council is local council. bogs and bus shelters, but can do a great deal if they stretch their powers to the max.
Old 22-01-2006, 18:13   #48
God Member

When the politicians are talking in terms of council they call them local, county and national.

There is a lower level which is known as area/town council but these are not elected by the people these are made up from elected local councillors and co-optees. Therefore, I will go back to my point that I am standing for local council which is as Neil points out Hyndburn Borough Council.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 19:10   #49
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

What is a Parish Council please Gayle?
Old 22-01-2006, 19:23   #50
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
Ah thinking time.
Is this town council or borough gayle
Ah, what is a town.............Accrington, and what is a Borough ...............Hyndburn, so Gayle is standing for election to a borough council, but for a ward in Oswaldtwistle called St Andrews

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 19:24   #51
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
What is a Parish Council please Gayle?
Think that is a term from the old days, Oswaldtwistle was a parish council, when it stood alone

Albert Einstein.

Old 22-01-2006, 21:11   #52
God Member

Some areas do have Parish councils but they are more commonly known these days, and in Hyndburn, as Wards.

Yes, I suppose Park you could argue that too! Although, I am standing for a Ward but ultimately that is for a seat on local council, i.e. Hyndburn Borough Council.

Old 22-01-2006, 21:16   #53
God Member

A parish council is now known as a town council. Our town council is elected by the public, is mostly non borough councillors, are rarely co opted on and they aren't paid to do it. A town council meeting is open to the public to watch but only speak during the public session of the main meeting. Here we have a main town council meeting, about once a month, then inbetween is a planning meeting, a policy meeting and a contracts meeting although sometimes some of the meetings are merged. our council has quality status and is taking over more and more responsibility from the borough council. We refer to it as town, borough and county. The main things, the cemetary is run by town, play areas, some street furniture, salt bins rubbish bins, signing 714 grants, opinions on planning, allotments, honourary citizen, some of the christmas lights and some of the infrastructure of, some of the dickens night and other events. borough deal with rubbish, housing, planning noise environmental health etc
Old 22-01-2006, 21:22   #54
God Member

In Hyndburn we don't have Town Councils in that way, we have Area Councils but they have very few powers.

Currently Area Councils are made up from the local councillors (otherwise known as the Ward councillors) for the areas covered by each Area.

The Borough Council (what I refer to as the local council and what is always refered to as local when talking about elections, i.e. local elections) is made up of Wards, Councillors are each elected to a Ward - some wards have two elected Councillors.

I think each Borough does it slightly different or calls it slightly different thing but essentially there are three elected levels in the UK - local, county and national. Think we're all talking about the same things just calling them by different names.

Old 22-01-2006, 21:36   #55
God Member

Town council has three wards here north central and south, borough has three wards north central and south, any councillor can be just on borough, just on town or on both according to which elections they stood in and for which wards, and not necessarily the same wards if they stand for both. they don't even have to live in any ward, as there are other reasons that entitle you to stand in a ward such as working there. What you are standing for is a seat in a ward on a borough council.
Parish councils dissapeared a good while back during reshuffling I believe. A lot of their power was given to borough and town took over what was left. This is of course now reversing in a lot of areas.
A town council should still have a parish meeting once a year though were the whole parish is invited to ask questions about the parish as a whole, which will then get passed on to the relevant council be it town borough or county.
Old 22-01-2006, 21:38   #56
God Member

No wonder you can't get anything up there then, you have no down to earth on the ground councillors with any power.
Old 22-01-2006, 21:43   #57
God Member

I may slate our town council for not giving me a grant while they give their favourites a grant, and they may come up up with some crap schemes such as a band stand on the square that will block the church out but they do a vital job here, they are the link between street level and borough level. borough councillors here are useless, they never listen to what people are sayin, the borough council as a whole never listens, they just do as they please when they please. our new kitchens and the endless parade of cowboys working for the borough are testiment to that
Old 22-01-2006, 21:50   #58
God Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_council#England
Old 23-01-2006, 19:22   #59
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
I may slate our town council for not giving me a grant while they give their favourites a grant, and they may come up up with some crap schemes such as a band stand on the square that will block the church out but they do a vital job here, they are the link between street level and borough level. borough councillors here are useless, they never listen to what people are sayin, the borough council as a whole never listens, they just do as they please when they please. our new kitchens and the endless parade of cowboys working for the borough are testiment to that
Think you just lost me there, you have town council and borough council, is that not the same as HBC or Hyndburn Borough Council, with all its Area Councils.

Albert Einstein.

Old 23-01-2006, 19:25   #60
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
In Hyndburn we don't have Town Councils in that way, we have Area Councils but they have very few powers.
That is unless the Area Council has PB in the Chair May be that will be all change in the next few months

Albert Einstein.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..