Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-01-2006, 14:26   #76
God Member

Re: Oswaldtwistle Shops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I think I am right in saying that the Area Council sorts those issues out in Oswaldtwistle.
Not really. If you think back to any Area Council meeting, what options are the people of Oswaldtwistle really given? For instance the subject of Christmas lights were brought up - but we were being told by the Councillors that they were providing more lights this year. We weren't discussing how much we could spend, where those lights would go or even if we were going to get snowmen lights or candle lights. There was no discussion about the issue it was simply an information giving exercise by the Councillors.

The lamp at the Library. When it was mooted that it was to be moved, yes we all stood up and said 'no' it should stay where it was. But, and this is the but - this (and we agreed this on another thread) was simply an exercise in getting the County Council to tidy up the trees and to make sure the lamp was working again. It was not really up for debate was it?

I will stand by what I said that Area Council has very little power at the moment.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-01-2006, 18:08   #77
God Member

That said our council makes some bad decisions, the lights for example, they decide, but don't consult us. I put hundreds of hours in trying to help them get them right, only for them to choose blue tinsel bells and holly with white lights; I've never seen blue holly, only here. Why is everybody obsessed with white lights too and now snowmen, Santa’s or robins allowed. Christmas is for kids, so I say stick your non Christmas lights where the sun doesn't shine.
I already did a small display on the block of flats, because of this I decided that I'd do three blocks and the block of shops. Someone got jealous and reported me to the borough council, who said in future I must have insurance.
The next year I got a 714 grant from town council for 500 despite desperate attempts by certain councillors to block it. This year I got nothing. I paid over a thousand in new kit this year. The insurance and electric test have been paid for by an anonymous sponsor, The pub that I also decorated this year has also sponsored me by providing an additional electric supply and storage. Next year I intend to decorate the chip shop, next door, and the pub next to that too. IF I'm here to do it.
I want to do flower planters in the summer too cos the town council won't put them here as there is no cctv this far yet.
Am I in the wrong to go against town and borough council? should I bow down to their conditions that they try to put on me having the grant. That they want to be able to say which of my lights go where, in fact they want me to give them my kit. Or should I carry on being a rebel and pleasing the public. So much pleasing the public that one guy gave me ten quid towards the costs.
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2006, 18:16   #78
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
I will stand by what I said that Area Council has very little power at the moment.
You are probably right. I don't think the residents at the meetings are allowed to be involved.
Old 28-01-2006, 18:19   #79
God Member

You should have a public session at the start about 15 minutes, any other is at the discretion of the chair. Also you should have that parish meeting that I mentioned, that is open to the public.
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2006, 10:25   #80
mez
God Member

do you know im just upstairs painting my bedroom & i thought (as you do) that ...arn't you lucky the people that live in ossy ....all those shops ...no need really to go into town i live in upper spring hill ...there is nothing .only a couple of corner shops (very high prices) no bakers .no butchers .. greens not the sort i want, you lucky lucky people .
Old 18-02-2006, 11:03   #81
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

You know what to do then Mez don't you?
Move to Ossy.
Old 18-02-2006, 18:42   #82
mez
God Member

i nearly did last year neil .but not the right move just yet .........one day?
Old 07-03-2006, 12:36   #83

I thought we had three chemists in Ossy, one near the bank, one by the side of the co-op and one at the corner of Spring street Emeric Eccles as was?
thindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 13:15   #84
Resting in peace

I think Ossy has a reasonable mix for its size. One of the problems of attracting stores such as Next, etc, is that retail property becomes more expensive, pushing out the smaller businesses when leases come to be renewed. Thus you end up with a situation like we had when I lived in Battersea - I could buy fabric, Provencal tiles, windsurfing equipment, but I had to get in the car and go to Sainsburys to buy bread. It's sad that we only have two butchers, but we do have an excellent range of butchers on Accy market, and a good bus service. I would like to see a decent greengrocers - have I missed one on your list, Gayle? We have speciality shops like the Furniture Clinic and Evelyns, and also good general stores, which are what people mostly need. How often can you lie on a sunbed without permanent damage?
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 13:28   #85
God Member

I was asking for a debate and had to include chain stores in the mix but I did do it with reservation. Just trying to see what was missing generally or what sort of business could be encouraged - for instance, some small towns become really well known for their furniture shops, some for their arty shops, some for their gift shops, etc. Oswaldtwistle is a bit of a mix of shops but doesn't have enough of any one type to really encourage out of towners to come in as a shopping experience and still lacks a few good shops (you mention greengrocers) for the locals so misses out on both potential markets.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:22   #86
God Member

I've just been informed that we've received funding to do a project along Union Road (Oswaldtwistle Players and Mid Pennine Arts). It will basically be a photography project documenting the local shops and talking to the shop keepers. Before you all shout up, yes, it's lottery money, and yes, there are better things that this money could be spent on but - the money is up for grabs and unless people apply for it it will just remain in the pot.

Have to admit that in some respects I can't defend this project other than we wanted to do it, it sounds interesting, we applied for money and we got it. We're hoping that it will be an interesting look at local shops and regeneration in the area but if nothing else it will be a record of shop life in 2006.

There will also be an exhibition of the photos and a new drama piece coming out of it.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:56   #87
God Member

I trust there will some interesting shots of the Gun Shop. And what about the second-hand book shop? It would be good to see what that place looks like inside, because every time I go past it is closed. Shame! I do like my book shops.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 13:26   #88
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
I trust there will some interesting shots of the Gun Shop. And what about the second-hand book shop? It would be good to see what that place looks like inside, because every time I go past it is closed. Shame! I do like my book shops.
I admit the book shop does keep odd hours, but if you ever do get in it's well worth it, and the people who own it are very, very helpful.

In my life time lots of shops have changed and disappeared, I think it will be a good record of the town for the future.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 13:30   #89
Give, give, give member

By the way, there is a very dramatic picture of the gun shop on this site.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tintrax/106013055/

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 13:36   #90
God Member

Have to admit I haven't decided what to do about the gun shop. As you probably know I really don't like it BUT if it's to be a true record of the town then it should probably be included. Bit of a dilemma.

As for the book shop - yes, I know David and Linden so will definitely be talking to them. They sell the majority of their books over the internet so really don't need to open very often - it is a bit random.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..