Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-12-2005, 11:44   #16
God Member

Re: Oswaldtwistle's gun shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
I’m getting a little confused, just how prominent is this sign and why does it create the wrong impression. Can someone oblige by taking a couple of photographs of the offending signage A, from outside the shop “Close up” and from across the road, perhaps Rindy or Neil could stand in front of the shop “not in front of the Sign” to give us some sense of scale. A couple of shots from up and down the road might also be of interest in making a judgement on the issue.
I'm sorry but is there only me and Garinda here who can understand what sort of impression this gives of the town? I know it sounds like we're obsessed with 'image' but it means a lot - particularly when you're talking about a town. Tell me, Doug, imagine a town somewhere else in England that you've never visited before, would you make a point of visiting it if you thought it had an image of being a good place to go shopping for guns?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-12-2005, 12:51   #17
Roy
Administrator

While we are here gayle, why not shoot down the evil pubs that are on union road. How dare they give ossy the image that you can get drunk and puke on the floor.
Oh yes, there are also a few indian restaurants on union road! What kind of image is that to give the folks of Oswaldtwistle. I have to admit, I daren't tell the in laws that I used to live in a town with indian restaurants in it.

Lets think, what other perfectly legal things can we pick on?

The people are just trying to make an honest buck in a dieing town, whats wrong with advertising your products with a huge sign if its allowed? I notice the theatre does this, that gives a bad impression to all the lovely people buying guns, I don't think they should have to see the evil of amateur dramatics when all they want to do is buy an air rifle and shoot some cats.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2005, 12:58   #18
God Member

Gayle is quite right on this. This shop has an absolutely garish neon sign more in keeping with a gun store in Osceola, Arkansas rather than Oswaldtwistle near Accrington. But worse still are it's contents - they are simply manually loaded air pistols & rifles - cat & rat killers,and nowt else. (No shotguns, gas cartridge guns - certainly no conventional rifles & handguns).
It is the only shop with such a type of sign & it is totally out of keeping with the other outlets on Union Road. I am at a loss how the council has allowed this. Irrespective of whether this is a conservation area or not, I am quite certain that planning permission is neccessary to erect such a structure. It should be removed immeadiatly.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 13-12-2005 at 13:00.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2005, 13:06   #19
God Member

No Tealeaf, planning permission isn't required apparently - I thought it was but I looked into it and was told it wasn't.

Old 13-12-2005, 13:12   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
No Tealeaf, planning permission isn't required apparently - I thought it was but I looked into it and was told it wasn't.
Are you sure? I know that down here (Tower hamlets), application to erect any illuminated sign outside commercial premises has to be made to the council and permission then granted or not. Is this not a national rule?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2005, 13:13   #21
God Member

I asked the people in HBC planning dept and apparently they were aware of the sign but there was nothing they could do because they didn't need permission!

Old 13-12-2005, 13:55   #22
Member.

Quote:
I'm sorry but is there only me and Garinda here who can understand what sort of impression this gives of the town? I know it sounds like we're obsessed with 'image' but it means a lot - particularly when you're talking about a town. Tell me, Doug, imagine a town somewhere else in England that you've never visited before, would you make a point of visiting it if you thought it had an image of being a good place to go shopping for guns?
Roy does have a point, unfortunately so does everyone else. What is the opinion of the other shop keepers Gayle and for that matter HBC? Regardless to whether or not they can do anything about it, what’s there view on the matter. Without seeing it it’s hard to comment but I would have thought that Oswaldtwistle had other problems that needed seeing to. The one thing I would ask is, is there an increase in the shooting of wildlife or domestic animals in the area resulting form this advertising are is there evidence that despite the unease your showing the shop owner is selling his stock responsibly, my last point is have you are Rindy gone and discussed your concerns with the shop keeper?

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2005, 14:04   #23
Give, give, give member

I would Doug, as it's only five minutes walk away, but I don't have a digital camera, and the lead from my webcam won't stretch that far.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2005, 14:13   #24
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy
While we are here gayle, why not shoot down the evil pubs that are on union road. How dare they give ossy the image that you can get drunk and puke on the floor.
Oh yes, there are also a few indian restaurants on union road! What kind of image is that to give the folks of Oswaldtwistle. I have to admit, I daren't tell the in laws that I used to live in a town with indian restaurants in it.

Lets think, what other perfectly legal things can we pick on?

The people are just trying to make an honest buck in a dieing town, whats wrong with advertising your products with a huge sign if its allowed? I notice the theatre does this, that gives a bad impression to all the lovely people buying guns, I don't think they should have to see the evil of amateur dramatics when all they want to do is buy an air rifle and shoot some cats.
That's rubbish. I've nothing against people from making an honest living. It just seems incongrous that such a large illuminated sign should be sticking out into the main road, yet directly across from this shops aren't allowed to have shutters on their windows to protect them from vandals because it'as a conversation area.

As anyone actually been into the shop? I have, and most of their trade comes from selling tools. I would have the same objections to the sign if it said tools for sale.

As for Oswaldtwistle being a dieing town in your words, you'll be pleased to hear that house prices are still rising. It's not dieing, it's just becoming a satellite town for people to live here, but work else where throughout the northwest.

Old 13-12-2005, 14:16   #25
God Member

I will try and get a pic tonight.

Old 13-12-2005, 14:16   #26
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Are you sure? I know that down here (Tower hamlets), application to erect any illuminated sign outside commercial premises has to be made to the council and permission then granted or not. Is this not a national rule?

It was the same in Knightsbridge. We tried to get an illuminated sign for one of the shops for the firm I worked for, and it was turned down, even though it was half the size of the one at the gun shop.

Old 13-12-2005, 14:21   #27
Member.

Quote:
I will try and get a pic tonight.
Thank you Gayle, it will help some of to understand the concern that this issue raises.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 13-12-2005, 14:27   #28
Give, give, give member

Perhaps I'll start a business in one of the other shops my Mum owns.

Blacked out windows, and a big illuminated sign sticking out into the street saying SEX.

All I've got to do now is to plan what I'll stock.

Old 13-12-2005, 14:34   #29
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Perhaps I'll start a business in one of the other shops my Mum owns.

Blacked out windows, and a big illuminated sign sticking out into the street saying SEX.

All I've got to do now is to plan what I'll stock.
What do you want a diagram........

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 13-12-2005, 16:59   #30
land of hope and glory

sorry got to agree with roy,the sign is not 2 foot square its not obtrusive to anyone, its advertiseing where its situated,so people from out of town can find it if they can find a car park close enouth to the shops good on em,because i dont see any signs telling where to park and go window shopping in ossy.As for the puke and filth that is left behind from people comming out of pubs totally agree have you drank up there lately,the filth from the take aways should be put down to the owners of the takeaways.if someone wants to buy an airrifle why not buy one from ossy,leave this person alone to get on with fending for his self and family instead of claiming off the social because of some overzealous people wanting him to take a sign down.

ps nash,royal,foxhill, maybe one more dont come into the puke stakes.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..