Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-12-2005, 17:09   #31
I am Banned

Re: Oswaldtwistle's gun shop

to be honest i think as long as the shop owner is responsible guns wont fall into kids hands

we have a shop in accy similar to this one in ossy but it sells knives as well

now as far as i am aware these shops cant sell knives to under 16 year olds yet anyone can walk into debenhams,BHS,argos and many other shops and happily walk out with a fillet knife of meat clever

at least these shops have rules on who they can sell dangerouse weapons to
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-12-2005, 17:12   #32
land of hope and glory

they dont have signs that are tied to railings that blow out in front of cars as they pass on a windy day either!
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2005, 17:37   #33
God Member

It's not brilliant because it was dark when I took it but the light of the sign stays on all night.

If it was daylight you'd be able to see the Civic Theatre on the bend of the road about 20 yards along.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2005, 17:40   #34
God Member

All right, better luck this time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010039.JPG (58.3 KB, 29 views)

Old 13-12-2005, 17:48   #35
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

In the wrong hands anything can be dangerous, we hear of mothers that are ill, feeding their children with excess salt! That does not actually make all mothers and salt dangerous, only the combined circumstance of sick mothers and too much salt, a similar thing can be said about fire-arms.

It is all very well to pick on this shop and his merchandise but, come on, can we get serious? His customers will be 99.99% enthusiasts not nutters he is probably more responsible than any of us to decide who he sells these items to!

I had a brief military career and during that time I was taught how to use these so called weapons with responsibility, my actual trade was in communications and the chance's of me actually firing in earnest were next to nil. However I managed a grade of 'marksman'.

The fear the majority of people suffer isn't the gun or rifle, it is the 'nutter', but they exist in many forms, I bet if you were to go into his shop you would not only be given advice about the device you want to buy but also clubs where you can fire them in safety.

The use of the greatest majority of any fire-arms is for the harmless sport of target shooting, why? because the owners know the potential dangers and always look for safety first.

The olympics which we all want our nation to do well at includes target shooting I bet if we came last you would all be saying "tsk yet another we haven't invested in".

So far as the sign? I hardly ever notice it due to the fact when I'm driving past the road is always crowded because buses are forced to off and on load in the middle of the road, causing tail backs which need careful consideration.

I believe this is part of the dangerous thing called Traffic calming!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2005, 17:52   #36
God Member

And you, Less, like most people are missing the point - I don't give a two hoots (and trust me I nearly said something a lot stronger there) about the contents of the shop, I don't care about the responsibility of the shoppers there or whether the owner gives out good advice. What I care about is the image that it gives this town for people from outside it.

So please pay attention this time - it is the SIGN that is p*ssing me off, not the shop itself. A big, bright SIGN that shouts GUNS.

I can't honestly believe that you all think it gives a good image of the town.

Old 13-12-2005, 17:54   #37
God Member

And before you all leap on the last post - yes I do care that the owner is responsible, yes I do care that he gives out good advice - at no point was I disputing that - THAT is not my point and you well know it.

Old 13-12-2005, 18:04   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
And you, Less, like most people are missing the point - I don't give a two hoots (and trust me I nearly said something a lot stronger there) about the contents of the shop, I don't care about the responsibility of the shoppers there or whether the owner gives out good advice. What I care about is the image that it gives this town for people from outside it.

So please pay attention this time - it is the SIGN that is p*ssing me off, not the shop itself. A big, bright SIGN that shouts GUNS.

I can't honestly believe that you all think it gives a good image of the town.
And you gayle seem to have missed what alot of people have posted, although YOU are concerned about the sign, they seem to be concerned about the shop.

It could be a sign saying 'cheap Massage parlour' for all I care anyone paying attention is missing the dangers of that road caused by the buildy- out bus stop and impatient drivers someone will die on that stretch but not because of guns or signs, But because of stupidity!
Old 13-12-2005, 18:11   #39

Quote:
And before you all leap on the last post - yes I do care that the owner is responsible, yes I do care that he gives out good advice - at no point was I disputing that - THAT is not my point and you well know it.
You started the thread but I wasn't trying to get at you, I was trying to defend a legitimate business, one of us is going to have to go back on the tablets or we could end up arguing!
Old 13-12-2005, 18:14   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
And you gayle seem to have missed what alot of people have posted, although YOU are concerned about the sign, they seem to be concerned about the shop.
Yes we are going to end up arguing on this one becuase I haven't read one post on here that seemed to be concerned about the shop - in fact, most people yourself (and myself) included defended the shop as a legitimate business.

Old 13-12-2005, 18:16   #41
God Member

Yet no one seems prepared to answer my questions

Do you, or do you not, think that a large illuminated sign which shouts 'GUNS' at you gives a good image of the town? If you were an out of towner coming to the theatre do you, or do you not, get a good impression of the town?

Old 13-12-2005, 18:23   #42
Member.

Gayle the photograph is fine, in fact it’s excellent, unfortunately, I don’t really have a problem with the sign itself. In fact it tells me where the shop is and that what it is designed to do. If the shop owner was irresponsible it might be different. I have however just let Joyce see it and without prompting she is in agreement with you and expressed the same concerns as you have, maybe there’s some comfort in that.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2005, 18:32   #43
Roy
Administrator

** just wrote a reply, but am gritting teeth and had to erase it. Grrrrr sometimes I hate having to be liable for what I say on here.

/roy goes off to create an anonymous account for future use
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2005, 18:54   #44
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
I will try and get a pic tonight.
I will lend you an air rifle Gayle so you can shoot the big green sign out with it

Last edited by Neil; 13-12-2005 at 19:11.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2005, 19:12   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Perhaps I'll start a business in one of the other shops my Mum owns.

Blacked out windows, and a big illuminated sign sticking out into the street saying SEX.

All I've got to do now is to plan what I'll stock.
let us know when you get esablished mucker lol

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..