Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-09-2011, 09:40   #46
God Member

Re: The Gobbin Lamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Spent some happy hours in the sand pit when I was very young, seems sad that time have changed so that a sand pit is no longer considered an attraction for young kids
It wasn't really an ideal play item because some lads peed in it to simulate moats around sand castles.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-09-2011, 12:31   #47
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I was in Rhyddings Park 3 years ago and noticed the sand pit had gone.
For persons who want to know precice location - it was on the opposite side of the path to the place where the playground has been built.
You need to get out more its not been there for a loooong time
Old 28-09-2011, 13:06   #48
Bee
I am Banned

Here are the "move the lamp" LET Pages;
'Leave lamp alone' (From Lancashire Telegraph)
&
Ossie's Gobbin Lamp will stay put (From Lancashire Telegraph)
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 18:21   #49
Senior Member+

Quote:
It wasn't really an ideal play item because some lads peed in it to simulate moats around sand castles.
.................................................. .......................

How would you know that if you hadn't been watching and observing 'out of interest'?.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 21:03   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
As for the stocks, any suggestions?
I have a few suggestions for you but I'd probably get in trouble if I named names. Yes, you know who you are!!!!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 09:05   #51
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I have a few suggestions for you but I'd probably get in trouble if I named names. Yes, you know who you are!!!!
Not friends with Neil anymore Gayle
Old 30-09-2011, 10:19   #52
God Member

Quote:
Not friends with Neil anymore Gayle

Ha ha, no that would just be for fun.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 10:32   #53
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Ha ha, no that would just be for fun.
Let me know if its happening and I'll move heaven and earth to be there
Old 12-10-2011, 20:36   #54
God Member

"An Ossie "Gobbin"

...wasn't a simpleton as people seem to think.

"Gobbin" comes from the material found at Town Bent.When the Irish navvies were laying the main road through Oswaldtwistle they ran out of road material just at the lamp which stood where the library is. The irishmen found this other material at Town Bent and they called it "Gobbin". And now anyone who comes from above the lamp comes from "Gobbin Land" and is affectionately known as a "Gobbiner".

The Oswaldtwistle clog-dancers have a dance called the Gobbiner's Jig and two other dances they perform are The Ossie Jig and The Oswaldtwistle Hornpipe.
Oswaldtwistle is split into four; Top End (Gobbin Land), Bottom End (Below Lamp), West End and Stanhill. Each section of people are proud of their own area but they are even more proud that they all come from Oswaldtwistle itself."

This information was given to Benita Moore by an old man who has since died. Extract from her book: Lancashire Lives, 1990.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 09:20   #55
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
"An Ossie "Gobbin"

...wasn't a simpleton as people seem to think.

"Gobbin" comes from the material found at Town Bent.When the Irish navvies were laying the main road through Oswaldtwistle they ran out of road material just at the lamp which stood where the library is. The irishmen found this other material at Town Bent and they called it "Gobbin". And now anyone who comes from above the lamp comes from "Gobbin Land" and is affectionately known as a "Gobbiner".

The Oswaldtwistle clog-dancers have a dance called the Gobbiner's Jig and two other dances they perform are The Ossie Jig and The Oswaldtwistle Hornpipe.
Oswaldtwistle is split into four; Top End (Gobbin Land), Bottom End (Below Lamp), West End and Stanhill. Each section of people are proud of their own area but they are even more proud that they all come from Oswaldtwistle itself."

This information was given to Benita Moore by an old man who has since died. Extract from her book: Lancashire Lives, 1990.
I have the book mobertol, if I remember it was published by our own Bob Dobson, sadly Benita is no longer with us either
Old 13-10-2011, 09:34   #56
Senior Member+

I distance myself totally from the myth about the navvies and the Town Bent material. I repeat what I wrote earlier - a gobbin is a simpleton., Couldn't be simpler. If you don't understand that, you're a gobbin.

I like the Ossie cloggers paragraph.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 09:40   #57
God Member

I suppose when you publish a book there is no guarantee that what the author wrote is accurate, and you are not required to check that it is.

Last edited by MargaretR; 13-10-2011 at 09:42.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 11:49   #58
God Member

Quote:
I have the book mobertol, if I remember it was published by our own Bob Dobson, sadly Benita is no longer with us either
It's pubblished by Carnegie Pubblishing Ltd. of Preston -my copy is signed and was given to me by Benita as a Xmas present, she was a family friend. There is a foreward by the then Hyndburn District librarian, Brian Ashton -no mention of Bob Dobson as far as I can see Jay.

It is sub-titled "Interviews with and tales of some interesting folk from Hyndburn and the Ribble valley."

For those interested in Ossie there are interviews with:
The Duckett brothers -builders who lived in Fielding lane.
Harry Godbold from Miller Close (aged 93 back in 1990)
Bill Salmon ex-coalman from Ossie
Jack Holmes a retired miner
Jimmy Stephenson, past-owner of Ossie's "Potato Pie Shop".

A little annecdote which i like is the following:
A retired school-teacher's remeniscence. He'd taught in a local school and had given the children a list of words to choose from and told them to write a sentence using any one of the words. One of the words was "comfort", he was amused to find a little boy who had written:
"I've comfort rent" (I've cum fer t'rent).
I wonder if the little boy was a certain John from Ossie who is well known for his spelling feats even today!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 13-10-2011, 12:05   #59
God Member

Quote:
I suppose when you publish a book there is no guarantee that what the author wrote is accurate, and you are not required to check that it is.
The book was written from recordings made by Benita Moore when she talked to old folks from the Hyndburn area.
It is an attempt to record and preserve people's recollections through oral history. The accuracy of the recollections depends on the person telling their tale.
It contains details of the local dialect, folk songs, crafts, trades and industries, descriptions of all areas of local lives and physical descriptions of places as they were in the early part of the Twentieth century, some of which no longer exist.
There are also some great photos -one of James St. Working men's Club in Ossie which was apparently known as the "Tin Hut"

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 13-10-2011, 18:00   #60
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
It's pubblished by Carnegie Pubblishing Ltd. of Preston -my copy is signed and was given to me by Benita as a Xmas present, she was a family friend. There is a foreward by the then Hyndburn District librarian, Brian Ashton -no mention of Bob Dobson as far as I can see Jay.

It is sub-titled "Interviews with and tales of some interesting folk from Hyndburn and the Ribble valley."

For those interested in Ossie there are interviews with:
The Duckett brothers -builders who lived in Fielding lane.
Harry Godbold from Miller Close (aged 93 back in 1990)
Bill Salmon ex-coalman from Ossie
Jack Holmes a retired miner
Jimmy Stephenson, past-owner of Ossie's "Potato Pie Shop".

A little annecdote which i like is the following:
A retired school-teacher's remeniscence. He'd taught in a local school and had given the children a list of words to choose from and told them to write a sentence using any one of the words. One of the words was "comfort", he was amused to find a little boy who had written:
"I've comfort rent" (I've cum fer t'rent).
I wonder if the little boy was a certain John from Ossie who is well known for his spelling feats even today!
Na couldn't be me was never a little boy

I knew Bill Salmon, his grandson is the proprietor of Hyndburn Cars (Taxies), The Duckett brothers were both in St Mary's Amateurs in the early days, and Jim Stevenson was a regular in the Stop and Rest, sadly all are now deceased. I'm nearly sure Bob did publish a book my Benita

Oh yes mobertol, just have a quick shufty at your original post, the spelling is very interesting to say the least

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..