Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-02-2006, 20:38   #1

100mb connection?

UK cable company NTL will be unveiling a trial of a new service set to debut in March 2006. In special partnership with Arris and BitTorrent the trial will take place in Ashford, Kent, UK.
The trial? A 100MB broadband speed, which is officially 10 times faster then the highest speed offered by NTL’s 10Mb speed offered at the moment. With the recent take over of Telewest broadband and current talks to purchase Virgin Mobile, with this 100Mb broadband service HD video will be available, and with the use of BitTorrent these can be easily shared with official licenses in place. Now because of the 100Mb service it finally means that the UK has caught up with the rest of the world in the language of high speed broadband, with countries in both Europe and Asia that have been offering 10Mb speeds or higher for several years now. This is also helping with the push towards a HD technology service, with on demand movies very similar to Sky’s Sky+ current service. However with this new 100mb service some people are wondering will it be reliable due to the fact awhile ago people where experiencing regular connection problems with there 10Mb service however I am certain that speed nuts will be drooling and queuing up for this service. Read Press Release at Arrisi. Ntl are Still to release a press release on Ntl.com
ossymal is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-02-2006, 20:40   #2

Re: 100mb connection?

why 100mb? I can't wait to see the price of this!
ossymal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2006, 08:47   #3
God Member

The prices in places like sweden where 100mb is common is something like £20 a month over there

However, (as far as im aware) 100mb is only available in major citys as existing cabling won't be enough.. I *think* ok I admit I *guess* that fibre will have to be layed in to your home.
Old 26-02-2006, 16:14   #4
I am Banned

whats the bloody point , ntl set limits on how much bandwidth you can use a month so on a 100mb connection yuo could use your months quota in 1 hour
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2006, 17:16   #5
God Member

You can always buy more, I'm sure if you rang them up and asked for a higher quota they would be happy to take your money.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2006, 00:41   #6
I am Banned

lol they set a 2gb bandwidth a month limit on the 3 mb connection and they got all narky coz i was using 12gb a day

i dontuse that much now but i like unlimited so that i can if i chose to
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2006, 15:37   #7
God Member

Kids would have a field day with that kind of bandwidth. It would end up as a premium service for a while unfortunately, which is a way good because if my daughter had access to that and if by a major miracle it was unlimited I would need a storage array for her.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..