Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2004, 07:29   #1
Resident Waffler

a sort of techie html question

This may sound like a dumb question but I'd appreciate a serious answer from the webwise amongst us.

You know when you are viewing a website and you go to view the coding (view source) is there any way (apart from when the creator substitutes "clear off you nosey so and so" instead) that what you see may not be what they actually put? In other words can your browser get it wrong and present it to you incorrectly?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-12-2004, 17:44   #2
Roy
Administrator

Re: a sort of techie html question

Nope. Whatever you see in view source is what your browser has downloaded and displayed. However, there are many ways to confuse people. Putting pages in frames is one way. Converting HTML to it's ASCII equivalent is another system that some sites use.
There are a few other ways that are in use, do a search on html protector.
I'm not sure of exactly what javascript can do, but it is quite powerful and can render a page almost uncomprehendable.

I really do recommend installing firefox if you are into developing or playing with html. There are excellent developer tools included as standard and further more as add-ons.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 18:58   #3
God Member

Aye,
as Roy said, The view source contains 'usually' the top level source document. This can use sub pages inside frames although this is seriously frowned upon now due to DDA requirements. YOu can usually view the sources of frames by right clicking in the frame and selecting view frame source.

Code can be made difficult to read by humans but it must obey certain standards or the browsers wouldn't be able to render it.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 08:04   #4
Resident Waffler

OK, thanks both of you. That kind of confirms what I thought but permit me to sound really dumb for a minute and ask a further question.

Ignoring the fact that human intervention can make code difficult to read (along the lines of someone substituting "stop trying to read my code you nosey so and so") what you see when you view source should actually be what was physically typed out as the original source document, right?

So, if I then save such a thing as html and view it from my PC I get an exact copy of the page don't I? (Excliding any bits and bobs like images hosted elsewhere)

OK, so now if the thing I see in "view source" wasn't actually the source (for one reason or other, example being that maybe the creator had put some other sneaky thing in there instead of "clear off and stop trying to read my code" which looked right but wasn't) and I saved that to my PC I wouldn't be able to see the original page from it would I?

I hope that makes sense. I know what I mean but I'm sometimes not very good at explaining myself.

Old 08-12-2004, 10:07   #5
God Member

You should get the core document but as we have said it is possible to have sub docs in frames etc. Plus the formatting may be completley shafted if you don't supply the stylesheet. If this is a particular example let us have the URL and I'll have a shufty.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 03:47   #6

Create a Microsoft Word document called Fred.doc, and rename it to Fred.htm which is what webpages are normally called. Open that in a browser you would see gibberish with some bits in English.

Would that be similar to what you see ?

If so then it may be the case that either :-
a. You are saving a file as the wrong file type

or

b. the website is doing this for some reason to protect something they created, or perhaps to give you some malicious file that could become active when renamed.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:40   #7
Resident Waffler

In a word - No. That wasn't what i meant.

Without naming any names I'll try to explain.

A certain website existed but it didn't work properly.

When you looked at the source there were some anomalies.

If I saved what I saw and took out the anomalies and then viewed what I'd got it was fine (apart from pics which I wasn't hosting).

However, when I mentioned this fact I was told that basically I didn't know what I was talking about because what I saw in the "view source" wasn't what was really there.

Subsequently the anomalies have been removed from the original so anyone looking at it now cannot see what was once there.

I think that's about it in a nutshell. I was fairly sure that what I'd said on the subject made sense but was willing to stand corrected by anyone who knows more than I do - but not by silly childish people who only resort to petty name calling when they don't know what they are talking about.

From what has been said both here and in PM, I'm more than happy that I wasn't talking rubbish and that what I thought I'd understood I do actually understand.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 11-12-2004 at 16:37.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:53   #8
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Good old hyndburn lite that should keep you busy for a very long time Willow, do what it's creators did abandon it!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..