Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-12-2004, 13:46   #1

Angry Ebay Help

HELP!!!!! i'm having constant problems trying to log onto the ebay site even though i'm a registered user.I just keep recieving page cannot be displayed. Any ideas any one?
Old 17-12-2004, 14:06   #2
God Member

Re: Ebay Help

Is it still doing it now? I have just logged in Ok but on Fridays they do the regular maintenance and is usually down for an hour or two

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2004, 14:35   #3
Senior Member+

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago could not log on for a few days. I sent an email to ebay but did not get a reply, every thing is fine now.
Old 17-12-2004, 16:54   #4

K.S.H just tried again still no joy it's been the same all week.
Old 17-12-2004, 17:01   #5
Senior Member+

Someone needs to log on in thier own account and then

Contact ebay live from thier account on your behalf at -
http://livechat.ebay.com/Chat/servlet/AppMain?__lFILE=index.jsp&grp=Activation or http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/16485391/?cmd=file&file=visitorWantsToChat&site=16485391
or if she thinks her account has been hijacked go to -
http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/confidence/problems-account-theft.html or http://livechat.ebay.com/Chat/servlet/AppMain?__lFILE=index.jsp&grp=ATO or http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/isgw-account-theft-reporting.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2004, 17:16   #6

the one time i did manage to get on this week i tried ebay live & received no help as that didn't work either
Old 17-12-2004, 22:47   #7
Senior Member+

did you get rid of the cookies and then restart? that may help but I think you should just bug Ebay from someone elses computer. Sorry cant help as I have a US account.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2004, 16:10   #8

just logged on ok to ebay.com but still can't log onto the uk site, not even from their link
Old 19-12-2004, 07:28   #9
God Member

OK, can you give me somemore info and do a couple of tests.

What version of Windows are you using?
What Browser(Internet Explorer or Firefox). If its IE, can you download Firefox from www.mozilla.org and try that one to eliminate the browser.
What ISP are you conecting through
Dial up or broadband?
Can you open a MSDos command prompt and type 'ping www.ebay.co.uk' Do you get a response? If not what error (not found or timeout?)

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2004, 12:29   #10

HI entwisi i'm using xp with both IE and firefox connecting thro tiscali bb. Pardon my lack of knowledge but how do i open a MSDOS command prompt?
Old 19-12-2004, 12:50   #11
God Member

Start - Run and type cmd <RETURN>

Are there any proxy settings in IE or Firefox?(Tools, internet settings, connections for IE)
Old 19-12-2004, 14:08   #12

on MSDOS'ping www.ebay.co.uk' error timed out appears there are no proxy settings for IE or firefox
Old 19-12-2004, 14:22   #13
God Member

Try http://66.135.192.41/

This is the direct IP address of ebay.co.uk. If this works then you have a DNS problem. You can swap the DNS servers. This is in the network connection properties. Let me know if the above works and I'll walk you through changing the DNS servers.
Old 19-12-2004, 15:11   #14

Tried your link and it took me to the ebay us home page,from there i opened the link to the uk home page.The page came up but after trying to log in page unavailable comes up.Even without logging in none of the other pages are available.
Old 19-12-2004, 18:45   #15
God Member

OK, we'll try changing DNS. I need to check out the exact bits in windows as I don't use it myself and can't remember the exact descriptions used. I'll post the full details tomorrow.

Are you struggling with any other sites? it seems strange that only one site is affected. Can you post the contents of a file for me as well. It is C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts. Try and open it in Notepad or Wordpad or any other text editor. This is a file that can override DNS entries.

Cheers, Ian. PS I am normally online with MSN. IM handle is [email protected]

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..