Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2005, 08:12   #1
God Member

Be careful out there!

All XP users please be careful

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/12/30/ms_phel_vuln/
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-01-2005, 08:35   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Be careful out there!

Thanks entwisi.

These things really infuriate me. Why people create them is beyond me but it makes me soooo annoyed. Busman's PC is currently unwell because he didn't immediately re-install his anti-virus and firewall.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 08:52   #3
Senior Member+

Although annoying, this, by all accounts is a low risk threat, and it seems that a load of others have been detected since 27 December (when this one came to light)

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 09:42   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Thanks entwisi.

These things really infuriate me. Why people create them is beyond me but it makes me soooo annoyed. Busman's PC is currently unwell because he didn't immediately re-install his anti-virus and firewall.

Did you see my repsonse to his problem? There is a way to stop it shutting down so he can de-blaster it.

Ian
Old 04-01-2005, 10:56   #5
Senior Member+

I've got to update my pc-cillin tomorrow, but it suggest that I uninstall any other versions than 11.

That's gonna be fun when I connect to get the updates, isn't it!!!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 13:21   #6
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
Did you see my repsonse to his problem? There is a way to stop it shutting down so he can de-blaster it.

Ian
I must have missed that but he's got someone going to de-Blaster it for him this afternoon all being well.

For future reference can you point me to the post? The more we learn the better it will be.

Old 04-01-2005, 14:01   #7
God Member

To stop Windows shutting down type 'shutdown -a' in a MSDOS command prompt. Have it ready beforehand so when it starts you only have to switch to the window and hit return. Press the up key to recall the last command so its ready again for the next time it tries. This should allow you to get online long enough to de balster it.

To get a MSDOs command prompt press 'WINDOWS' and R and type cmd <RETURN>

'WINDOWS is the key with a windows logo on it near the CTRL key bottom left.

Ian
Old 04-01-2005, 20:23   #8
Resident Waffler

OK. Thanks very much

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..