Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-12-2004, 07:52   #16
God Member

Re: Ebay Help

OPen Network Connections

Choose the connection for your broadband connection(Probably called Tiscali)

Right Click, select Properties

In the middle box of the general tab Choose Internet Protocol, and select properties

If there are any setting in here make a note of them before going any further. I would guess that bothe sections are set to Automaitcally obtain IP and DNS. Leave the IP address settings as they are( either auto or to whatever they are set to.). In the DNS settings click teh use teh following DNS servers. Add the following numbers

Preferred 158.43.240.4
Alternative 158.43.240.3

Click OK all the way out. You will need to restart the inetrnet connection to pick up the new settings..

Type ipconfig -all in a DOS window when connected you should see a listing for the Internet connection. It should list your IP the Gateway and DNS servers. Make sure they match teh settings above. If they do then give Ebay a go.

The setting above are Pipex's DNS servers. If they work you can start having a go at Tiscali as you will have proved that their servers are the cause of your problem. If it still fails then we need to delve a little deeper.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-12-2004, 12:37   #17

Hi entwisi,just tried logging in on pipex server same outcome i'm affraid just the home page and then page cannot found.Mind you i've had a problem this morning trying to post the file you requested on here.
Old 20-12-2004, 13:06   #18
God Member

If using the pipex dns you have the same problem then it is local to your PC.

I really need the contents of the hosts file for the next step. Also, what make of modem do you have(I have another thought process going on)?

Ian
Old 20-12-2004, 13:09   #19
Senior Member+

I wouldn't bother calling the Tiscali technical help desk.

They're about as useful as a chocolate teapot when it comes to solving techie problems; I know - I've been there, done that.

The fact that they are in India probably doesn't help either, as they do not have the functionality to transfer you back to the UK when their script for solving problems doesn't work and you need to speak to someone 'back home'.

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2004, 13:32   #20

I think this is the file your af
#
# This file contains the Internet protocols as defined by RFC 1700
# (Assigned Numbers).
#
# Format:
#
# <protocol name> <assigned number> [aliases...] [#<comment>]

ip 0 IP # Internet protocol
icmp 1 ICMP # Internet control message protocol
ggp 3 GGP # Gateway-gateway protocol
tcp 6 TCP # Transmission control protocol
egp 8 EGP # Exterior gateway protocol
pup 12 PUP # PARC universal packet protocol
udp 17 UDP # User datagram protocol
hmp 20 HMP # Host monitoring protocol
xns-idp 22 XNS-IDP # Xerox NS IDP
rdp 27 RDP # "reliable datagram" protocol
rvd 66 RVD # MIT remote virtual disk
Old 20-12-2004, 13:38   #21

modem i'm using is a belkin adsl wire less router. Your a very patient man putting up with me
Old 20-12-2004, 13:44   #22

vorlon 24 your right tiscali customer services are useless i'm getting alot more help here
Old 20-12-2004, 14:28   #23
Senior Member+

And the great thing is, you don't need to spend ages on the phone running up the phone bill!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2004, 14:39   #24
God Member

Wireless router Eh? Where did you change the DNS settings? on your PC or in teh control panel of the router?

Basically with a router the request is sent to the router which does what is called NAT(Network Address Translation) and then sends the request out from itself. You need to swap the DNS settings on the router for them to take effect.

ian
Old 20-12-2004, 18:30   #25

changed the dns settings on my pc in local area network tab
Old 04-01-2005, 08:15   #26
God Member

Hi mate, Sorry Xmas got in the way, Did you try changing the settings on the router?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..