Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-09-2005, 17:39   #16
God Member

Re: Forget Bulldog.....

What speed are you connected at? I'm on lower manchester road, so quite close to the exchange (which is just next to the bus station in town)... I connect at 8000kbps and get download speeds of around 830kb/s

If you live a lot further away than you wont get 8Meg.. you'll get 'up to 8meg'.. which is maybe 5/6/7 depending on where you are as I say
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-09-2005, 19:26   #17
God Member

Willow is up Willows Lane so not that far from the exchange. Wlyhat most people forget is that all ADSL is 'Up To' based on contention ratio. i.e. teh number of people who connect on the same LU as you all share the same connection. I like Pipex for that reason. Whilst I 'only' get 2 M, its 2M permanantly with no issues.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2005, 21:04   #18
God Member

Hmm well i've always got 830kb/s from newsgroups, but from the majority of web servers you'll be hard pushed to achieve the max from an 8Meg line too.. unless it's like a Linux download site which are dedicated in shifting a huge amount of data...

So I guess it depends where you're measuring the speed too willow..

Are you tempted to switch to Be in January entwisi?

Edit: I dont know where on Willows lane you are Willow, and Google maps refuses to give me the Postcode... so I used Mount Carmel postcode for referance.

I'm connected at 8000kbps and 630metres (straight line distance) from the exchange, where as mount carmel is 1.3km (straight line distance)

Now.. it depends how crazy the BT lines are to the exchange as that number could well double, which could be a reason for you not being connected at 8000kbps (if you arnt)

Last edited by andrewb; 18-09-2005 at 21:12.
Old 18-09-2005, 21:46   #19
Resident Waffler

We're not far from Mount Carmel actually.

I'd have expected to get closer to the 8meg than what we are getting which seems to be less than we had with AOL most of the time even though that wasn't supposed to be anything like as much. (2meg)

Surely we shouldn't be less than 1m which at times we have been.

I've got the feeling I might end up not making sense if I waffle on tonight so I'll shut up now and come back when I've woken up tomorrow!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2005, 22:25   #20

Dont touch Bulldog with a bardgepole, quite a few months ago I saw bulldog advertise , so being greedy rang up and registered,mcancelled my ntl phone, got bt installed and was told to wait patiently for a few months, so I did. After returning from holiday in Aug my bt phone was dead, rang BT only to be told Bulldog now owned the line, "tried to ring Bulldog" after 1 week finally got through explained "we have to call a different number" 2 WEEKS PASSED and finally bulldog told me BT still had the line, rang BT, No bulldog deffo have your line, I said I was sick of this and I couldnt get through could I just get my BT line back on, NO bulldog have to cancel the order, 1 week of trying and finally cancel the order with Bulldog, ring back BT, 3 week wait to get an engineer out, what for Bulldog didnt even do anything? wait the three week and bt still didnt put the line back on, why, apperantley because i had a ntl number when i cancelled with bt the line went to bulldog and the number went to ntl, so a further week passed and i got the line back on with a new number.

Bulldog...............Bulls**t more like

as for ntl i have 3 Mbs and i regular download 4-6+ GB per day and have never had contact from NTL about capping!
dazzalam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2005, 22:31   #21
Resident Waffler

When we changed from BT to Bulldog it went through very smoothly. First there was a dialtone when we were still with BT, then briefly there was no dial tone, then there was a dial tone and we were with Bulldog. Smooth as silk. Can''t complain about that at all.

(really must go to bed!)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2005, 21:14   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzalam
Dont touch Bulldog with a bardgepole, quite a few months ago I saw bulldog advertise , so being greedy rang up and registered,mcancelled my ntl phone, got bt installed and was told to wait patiently for a few months, so I did. After returning from holiday in Aug my bt phone was dead, rang BT only to be told Bulldog now owned the line, "tried to ring Bulldog" after 1 week finally got through explained "we have to call a different number" 2 WEEKS PASSED and finally bulldog told me BT still had the line, rang BT, No bulldog deffo have your line, I said I was sick of this and I couldnt get through could I just get my BT line back on, NO bulldog have to cancel the order, 1 week of trying and finally cancel the order with Bulldog, ring back BT, 3 week wait to get an engineer out, what for Bulldog didnt even do anything? wait the three week and bt still didnt put the line back on, why, apperantley because i had a ntl number when i cancelled with bt the line went to bulldog and the number went to ntl, so a further week passed and i got the line back on with a new number.

Bulldog...............Bulls**t more like

as for ntl i have 3 Mbs and i regular download 4-6+ GB per day and have never had contact from NTL about capping!
I've had this with BT Heh :P but Yes I agree stuff like this really puts users off, and Bulldog did make a big mess of things a while back (even if my switchover went perfectly) At least with Be I think you can keep your BT phone line so the worse that can happen is lose adsl for a few weeks..

and yes i'd ring them Willow, i'm no expert but i'd think you should get more than 2Mb really..

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..