Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2005, 16:09   #1
God Member

Forget Bulldog.....

NTHell maybe the way to go

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4749987.stm

I can only say this has to be good for everyone as it will push the increase in ADSL speeds through faster.

It won't be long before we really are at a point where SKY has a credible competitor for supply of visual media.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-08-2005, 16:11   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Forget Bulldog.....

and to think AOLHell were trying to convince me I would never need as much as 8!

We've only just giot Bulldog so we'll stick with it for a while I think.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2005, 11:40   #3
God Member

The thing with NTL is they'll be giving you a 10Mb connection and nice pings.. but I suspect they'll make you pay through the roof for breaking limits.. I'd much rather have bulldogs unlimited because it's £30/month rather than £35/month with 75Gig cap

Also.. why don't NTL just jump away from everybody else and start offering 50Mb cable? They have already said they have the bandwidth to do it, and yet they dont..

By the time they finish this 10Mb upgrade adsl2+ will be here and pumping up to 24Mb down our lines, and adsl is available to so many more people than NTL..
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2005, 16:40   #4
Resting in Peace

I am with NTL and the cap is 1GIG per DAY = 30 GIG per MONTH if this help anyone
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2005, 20:32   #5
God Member

Which should realsistically be enough for most things. Only occasionally will I exceed 1 Gig a day.

Ian
Old 14-08-2005, 19:59   #6
Senior Member+

We don't get NTL here - we have Telewest instead, which I hear are better than NTL

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2005, 20:02   #7
God Member

Bulldog are getting a bad name more and more each week.... i was with them for about a year or more... I have now got rid and gone to www.enta.net 2mb with no limits
Old 14-08-2005, 20:07   #8
God Member

Usual popular service, can't cope with demand type situation.

There is talk that the parent company (Cable and Wireless) are sending in trouble shooters to sort out the problems.

Ian
Old 06-09-2005, 17:36   #9
God Member

Looks like I got out just in time..... Bulldog are going to be on BBC Watchdog there that bad....

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communicatio...9216716,00.htm
Old 07-09-2005, 17:34   #10
God Member

Yeah well watchdog are all a bit late really. Loads of the problems have already been sorted, two (or more?) new support centres have been added and to be fair, what do people expect, Bulldog are trying to get the max out of your line, theres bound to be problems sometimes.

Personaly ive had 100% uptime, and perfect service from Bulldog. I can't say that about any other ISP including the big retail names such as BT and Wanadoo.

If anyone should be on watchdog it's BT. They have always made a royal dogs dinner whenever they've had anything to do with my line. They promised me broadband week after week for two months before, and still I didn't recieve my broadband. Their customer service just tell you a bag of lies and then next time you ring up you never get to speak to the same person again.

I delt with the same person throughout my purchase of Bulldog, by simply asking to be put through to a certain person.. great ISP )

Last edited by andrewb; 07-09-2005 at 17:38.
Old 07-09-2005, 17:40   #11
God Member

What I expect is a service as thats what I pay for... I had over a year with bulldog and I am online probably 18hrs a day... they didnt give me a good deal and i simply could not get through to any sort of customer support..... however sales takes like 10 seconds to get a human to talk to...

Glad I am out of it....I used BT Openworld broadband for about 4yrs before them and although they had problems ..they did have a support system that sorted ya out...

now with enta.net and so far after a few months so good.... i guess we all ahve different experiences..... The BBC and watchdog are no fools you know.. they wont run the program unless here are problems...
Old 07-09-2005, 18:06   #12
God Member

They will aslo not run reports if they are scared that the company might bite back. Remember the Kodak Fiasco a few years ago? Watchpuppy wouldn't get involved.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:10   #13
God Member

Adslguide.org has something about it on their frontpage. Basicly things WERE bad, and thats what Watchdog reported on, but they reported on a time period thats in the past, most things are sorted now.
Old 18-09-2005, 13:51   #14
God Member

"Good news! We are currently expecting to enable your exchange in Jan-2006 . "

Thats what I get when I enter an Accrington BT phone number in to the Be website!

24Meg here we come
Old 18-09-2005, 14:37   #15
Resident Waffler

Our complaint re Bulldog is that a lot of the time we aren't getting the 8mb we paid for. I need to find time to get on to them about it but I always seem to be on the phone about other things to other people. (Typing posts on AccyWeb while waiting to be passed on to relevant departments etc. Hows that for multi tasking?)

Don't ask me about Wannado. That was a nightmare and a very long story but so hard to get rid of that I never want to see anything about it ever again!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..