Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-08-2004, 12:36   #1
God Member

Anyone got or tried SKYPE

www.skype.com

Free software and if yer on broadband and have a headset you can use it for free telephone calls... Have it installed and works perfect... Only works to others with SKYPE .. useless unless headset used mind..

Anyone?
Old 13-08-2004, 14:38   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Skype

soooo is it just likea voice msn?
AccyStanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2005, 21:34   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
Anyone got or tried SKYPE

www.skype.com

Free software and if yer on broadband and have a headset you can use it for free telephone calls... Have it installed and works perfect... Only works to others with SKYPE .. useless unless headset used mind..

Anyone?
Hi Kipax,
Just pulled up your post from years ago!!
My niece, who lives & works in Thailand, was over at Christmas, & suggested we log on to Skype, apparantly, they use it all the time over there, as a means of communicating between their different offices.. rather like we use MSN...difference being, they can actually talk to each other.
Anyway, logged on shortly after C'mas, bought a headset/earphone, & duly tried to contact our relatives in Cape Town, Gibraltar, & of course, Thailand.
Problem is, when I ring them, they can hear me, but their voice is rather like a Dalek, when they ring me, they are loud & clear, but they don't hear me!
Been on Skype helpdesk, forum, etc.
Seems like they have loads of problems.
How are you finding it?
Still using it??
Anybody else here using it???
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2005, 21:37   #4
Roy
Administrator

Hi Kitchener, I use skype for calling to Russia, and it works very well as long as I am networked directly into the router or my cable modem. If I use wireless then it just does not work right at all. I assume you are not on dialup as you might as well forget about it if you are

You cannot beat 1p a minute to russia!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2005, 21:41   #5
God Member

been talking to Jimbo in Cyprus just an hr ago.. clear as a bell and didnt cost a penny

its a must use mic and headphones though rather than speakers
Old 21-02-2005, 21:49   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
been talking to Jimbo in Cyprus just an hr ago.. clear as a bell and didnt cost a penny

its a must use mic and headphones though rather than speakers
Got the headphones, but sound comes thro' speakers... is it my PC settings??
Tried allsorts, but still can't get any different.

Sorry, not the most literate PC user!!
Old 21-02-2005, 21:54   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy
Hi Kitchener, I use skype for calling to Russia, and it works very well as long as I am networked directly into the router or my cable modem. If I use wireless then it just does not work right at all. I assume you are not on dialup as you might as well forget about it if you are

You cannot beat 1p a minute to russia!
Sorry, Roy, don't follow the 'router/cable' modem bit...I am on broadband, not dialup, does that mean anything to you?
Old 21-02-2005, 22:23   #8
Senior Member+

I have never used Skype, but I have had a voice conversation with someone on Messenger - does that count?

It was free as well!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2005, 22:25   #9
Roy
Administrator

Quote:
Sorry, Roy, don't follow the 'router/cable' modem bit...I am on broadband, not dialup, does that mean anything to you?
Well, if your on broadband and its physically wired into the back of your computer then you should be ok!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2005, 20:20   #10
God Member

Just found this old thread. We've just got Skype because my brother in law who lives in Leeds has it. Recommend it - course he had an ulterior motive because since he bought us the kit for Chris's birthday he can now ring us and it's free.

Nickname of a person who posts on here shows up on the Skype directory but don't know if it's the same person - anyone else using it?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2005, 21:05   #11
mez
God Member

im on skype gale i like it,i ring my friends in australia now ive convinced them to use it ..........its brill.
Old 17-11-2005, 11:00   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
Just found this old thread. We've just got Skype because my brother in law who lives in Leeds has it. Recommend it - course he had an ulterior motive because since he bought us the kit for Chris's birthday he can now ring us and it's free.

Nickname of a person who posts on here shows up on the Skype directory but don't know if it's the same person - anyone else using it?
I have set it up in the last week but not tried it yet.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..