Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2005, 19:31   #1

Which Internet service Provider?

I am thinking of changing my ISP package currently a Broadband Tiscali at around £24.
Has anyone any pointers on the best offer and is it easy to transfer from one provider to another?

Last edited by Lampman; 06-03-2005 at 19:35. Reason: Spelling
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-03-2005, 19:43   #2
God Member

Re: Which Internet service Provider?

Pipex, £23 for 512mb but getting free upgrade soon to 1Gb at no extra cost.
easy to change and free if you go to pipex
www.pipex.com

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 19:51   #3
Senior Member+

I am with Tiscali and am planning on changing, but I need a correct bill from them first!

According to their last bill I owed them something in the region of £300.

If I actually owed them £300 I would have paid it, no problem. I have a problem, however, when I owe them nearer £40!!!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 19:57   #4

I ve been on tiscali, aol , freeserve , bt openworld and now on ntlworld and apart from the odd problem with emails ive found the rest of it the best so far . even though apart the connection and emails i use yahoo for searching and my home page . I was advised to use pipex but id never heard of it at the time
Old 06-03-2005, 20:00   #5
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

I'd recommend Wanadoo Broadband £17.99 a month 1Gb connection 2Gb limit, been on it for 6 months now, good speed and always connects.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 20:05   #6

Thans for the information one other question do I ring Tiscali or does the new provider take care of business?
Old 06-03-2005, 20:13   #7
God Member

You ring your isp and they give you a code (cant remember what they call it) and you pass this to your new supplier and they will then contact BT to go ahead with the change, you might be without broadband for a few days, when i transfered from AOHell they gave me a free dial up account while the change went through but I didnt need to use it.

www.ubuntu.com

Old 06-03-2005, 20:15   #8

Thanks for that KSH,I shall get my thinking cap on.
Old 06-03-2005, 20:20   #9
God Member

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/compare.asp
Click the above link to compare various providers

www.ubuntu.com

Old 06-03-2005, 20:23   #10
God Member

Heres a test between AoHell, Wannado, Ntlworld, Pipex, Tiscali.
As you will see Pipex come out tops

www.ubuntu.com

Old 06-03-2005, 21:25   #11
Senior Member+

Give Plusnet a look, they are good
http://www.plus.net/residential/ £14.99 per month at 1G cap, plus you can set your own limit per G at an extra £1.50 per month.
Been with them over 12months now not a problem, good customer support as well, just check it out.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 22:06   #12
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Pipex are good but at the time I didn't think an extra £5 for half the speed of Wanadoo was worth it.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 06:43   #13
God Member

It depends on your useage, a lot of people go over 2Gig. If you do then an unlimited service like Pipex can be better value. I've been with Pipex for 3 1/2 years with no probs. I was considering moving to Eclipse who get excellent reviews. My useage has changed so their £15 package of 2M pipe with 1Gig cap and extra data at £1.75 would work out better value. However now Pipex are upgrading me to 1M unlimited I may stay. The hardest part for most people about changing ISPs is that you need to change your email address. My pipex addy is all over the show. I have started moving everyone onto my own domain address(the-entwistles.co.uk) and when I'm happy I have moved everyone I will reconsider moving ISPs.

For anyone interested in having your own domain it will cost ~£2 for a domain for 2 years and if its only email there are packages from £0.69 a month.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 07:22   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
For anyone interested in having your own domain it will cost ~£2 for a domain for 2 years and if its only email there are packages from £0.69 a month.
Ian
Hi, on the domain for £2 / 2yrs, who is that with, would be handy for my golf club
Cheers

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 11:24   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H
You ring your isp and they give you a code (cant remember what they call it) and you pass this to your new supplier and they will then contact BT to go ahead with the change, you might be without broadband for a few days, when i transfered from AOHell they gave me a free dial up account while the change went through but I didnt need to use it.
You ask them for a MAC code or Migration code.

With regard to entwisi's comments about changing email address, I have had a freeserve address for a few years now, and still use it instead of my Tiscali address, which gets bombarded each day with spam. The only downside is that I have to dial-up to the no-ties account every 60 days, but need a cable as the old one is knackered!!!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..