Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Howard & Bullough (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/howard-and-bullough-17881.html)

garinda 24-02-2011 16:49

Re: Howard & Bullough

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 886774)
Aye. I always say Accy when I meet tourists in the smoke. I tell 'em all about the marvellous Market Hall and the Victorian Arcade, a shopping experiance to rival that of Paris, Milan or NY.

After all, it's Accy that needs the visitors, not Church.

Church born, Church bred.

Soft in the arm, soft in the head.

Terrible thing.

Pollution.

;)

Tealeaf 24-02-2011 16:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 886775)
Church born, Church bred.

;)

Church born, Church bred

Hard as nails

And clever in the head

garinda 24-02-2011 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 886776)
Hard as nails

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...scWlW0hM2Xj-YQ

They do look hard.

I'll give you that Mr. Pastry.

Most be a beggar when you're Fannying about, kneading dough though.

Pudwoppa 25-02-2011 13:04

Honestly, I thought the Pawtucket H&B plant was quite common knowledge. I've had this postcard with the plant on for ages. I would have shared it sooner if I'd thought it useful.

steve2qec 25-02-2011 13:46

Some of my wife's family live in Pawtucket, just put "two & two" together!!

Atarah 25-02-2011 17:49

So many of us Accringtonians will also have "family" - maybe even family they have no contact with (because they dont know of their existence!) - who are living abroad, all because of connections with Howard and Bulloughs. Take my family, my grans eldest sister, a Pilkington, ended up living in Rio de Janeiro with her family. This was because her hubby - a Mr. Jack Widdup from Accrington, was an outfitter for H and B, and was asked to go to South America as an outfitter for the textile machinery. He went, so I am told, for approx. a year, on the understanding that if he decided he liked the lifestyle over there, he could move his wife and children over there to live permanently. One daughter married a S. American gentleman, and became Mrs de Wouter, and the other daughter never married, and so there will still be a Miss Widdup in the South American telephone directory (if she is still alive of course) - all because of H and B in Accrington!

Retlaw 25-02-2011 20:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 887209)
So many of us Accringtonians will also have "family" - maybe even family they have no contact with (because they dont know of their existence!) - who are living abroad,

That could well apply to Canada, found over 70 Greater Accrington men, who had emigfrated before WW1, and enlisted in the Canadian forces, most of those that survived, were demobbed in Canada.

Even got two lads who lived in America, who crossed over to Canada to sign up.
Also several in Australia & New Zealand, but accessing New Zealand records is a headache.
Altogether from all three Countries around 125 men, some of those killed, who still had relatives in the area, are remembered on local War Memorials.
Retlaw

cashman 25-02-2011 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkinman221 (Post 886539)
My dad and grandad both worked there , my dad served his time as an electrician and my grandad worked in the grinding shop his name was Wilson yates and my dad is Bryan yates.

Just seen this walkingman, yer dad wasn't brought up on "Maudsley St" was he?;)

walkinman221 28-02-2011 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 887300)
Just seen this walkingman, yer dad wasn't brought up on "Maudsley St" was he?;)

Yes he was cashy thats right they moved from there when my grandad got a job working for the ncb. They lived in High brake house then it was the offices for Huncoat pit.I take it you knew my old man then?

cashman 28-02-2011 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkinman221 (Post 888177)
Yes he was cashy thats right they moved from there when my grandad got a job working for the ncb. They lived in High brake house then it was the offices for Huncoat pit.I take it you knew my old man then?

Yep used to go down to house, was on block before me nans going up, on left hand side, me nans was on right, block below St.Johns, was only young, but remember yer old man was a very nice bloke.;)

walkinman221 28-02-2011 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 888178)
Yep used to go down to house, was on block before me nans going up, on left hand side, me nans was on right, block below St.Johns, was only young, but remember yer old man was a very nice bloke.;)

He still goin strong went to rugby at Wigan with him last night both me gran and grandad have passed away now though.He is still livin local not for from maudsely street ,just off burnley road . Will he remember you?

cashman 28-02-2011 20:48

dunno mate may well do, glad to hear hes still batting, cant even remember why used to go down.:confused: about 50 yrs ago, but yer always remember folk yeh liked.;) so thats why i remember him.

walkinman221 28-02-2011 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 888183)
dunno mate may well do, glad to hear hes still batting, cant even remember why used to go down.:confused: about 50 yrs ago, but yer always remember folk yeh liked.;) so thats why i remember him.

Probably me grans baking:D, its a small world isnt it.

cashman 28-02-2011 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkinman221 (Post 888187)
Probably me grans baking:D, its a small world isnt it.

Think yeh might of nailed there, she was a friend of me nans i seem to recall.:)

walkinman221 28-02-2011 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 888188)
Think yeh might of nailed there, she was a friend of me nans i seem to recall.:)

What was her name i will ask me dad if he remembers her?