Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Howard & Bullough (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/howard-and-bullough-17881.html)

cashman 28-02-2011 21:02

Re: Howard & Bullough

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkinman221 (Post 888190)
What was her name i will ask me dad if he remembers her?

Molly n Grandad was Reg.;) lived at 58.

walkinman221 28-02-2011 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 888191)
Molly n Grandad was Reg.;) lived at 58.

I will ask him when i see him on wednesday:)

Lost in Cornwall 01-03-2011 08:26

My Uncle George always reckoned that H&B built the first motor lorry but didn't patent it before Leyland got in on the act. Don't know whther there's any truth in it or proof for it though.

Atarah 01-03-2011 13:35

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ton-49047.html

try this site re cars made in accrington

Lost in Cornwall 02-03-2011 08:56

Thanks. Fascinating stuff. Doesn't say anything about lorries but does show that H&B's premises were involved in motor manufacture so could either be a mixed up memory or something else that didn't quite work.

Atarah 02-03-2011 20:52

Hi take a look at this link - post 56.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...h-17881-4.html

Lost in Cornwall 03-03-2011 08:25

They're wonderful pictures. I love looking at stuff like that. The second photo has a Leyland badge though, can't see on the first one but my uncle always reckoned that the first H&B lorry had a Globe badge on the front.

Atarah 13-07-2011 13:46

PHOTOS TAKEN AT HOWARD & BULLOUGHS or PLATT SACO LOWELL's

Accrington Library (upstairs in the Local Studies department) have recently acquired some old photos from H & B/Platt's. They could do with some help in identifying some of the folk on them.
If any Accywebbers are passing and perhaps have 5 or 10 mins to spare, the library would appreciate any help with them.

wadey 01-09-2011 20:51

Sorry if this has already had a mention

THE life and times of the wealthy Bullough family, which employed thousands of Accrington folk at the height of the textile industry, is charted in a new book.

It tells of luxurious steam yachts, a castle on a Scottish island, with alligators and humming birds and the rise of the town’s Globe Works.

The family who shaped Accrington (From Lancashire Telegraph)

jakehargreaves 12-10-2011 05:52

I am looking for stories about a Jacob "Jake" Hargreaves. He was born in 1876 so he could be one of your 'old as paint' guys. What do you remember?

katex 12-10-2011 09:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadey (Post 930425)
Sorry if this has already had a mention

THE life and times of the wealthy Bullough family, which employed thousands of Accrington folk at the height of the textile industry, is charted in a new book.

It tells of luxurious steam yachts, a castle on a Scottish island, with alligators and humming birds and the rise of the town’s Globe Works.

The family who shaped Accrington (From Lancashire Telegraph)

This gentleman, Alistair Scott, who wrote the book as mentioned in the LT article, is the lecturer at the next Hyndburn Local History society. Entitled 'Eccentric Wealth' as per his book:

The Bullloughs of Rum,
Alistair Scott from Edinburgh.
November 3rd.
The Lecture Room,
Accrington Library.
7.30 p.m.
£2.50 non members.

Big Dave 12-10-2011 12:51

I started in Jobbing(spares)stores in 1970 went 'upstairs in 1982 as a progress chaser after 'new company formed by Hollingsworth.Progressed up to purchasing manager and in 1993 60 people moved to the old OXO plant in Great Harwood.5 years later a company from Bradford bought what remained of the spares business which was by this time just 2 people one of which was me and put us in an office in Colne for 12 months and then moved us over to Bradford .After travelling over there for 5 years I retired early in December 2006 And today my former collegue still sells spare parts for Platt machinery
amongtst other textile machinery parts.I have in my possession the original brass Howard and Bullough registered office sign which was
outside the Globe works.I did once offer it to a councellor for the Globe Centre but never heard back.

groove 16-10-2011 12:25

Groove thinks its a shame that there are no big firms like H and B around now.

Bob Dobson 16-10-2011 20:59

At 101, Katex mentions a book on the Bulloughs. I have started to read it - absolutely fascinating. Highly recommended. I think the library are selling it, also the bookshop in Gt Harwood (Pam's Bookends)

katex 27-10-2011 07:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Dave (Post 939465)
.I have in my possession the original brass Howard and Bullough registered office sign which was
outside the Globe works.I did once offer it to a councellor for the Globe Centre but never heard back.

Hey, Big Dave .... as plans for a museum are now moving forward, please don't do anything with this plaque ... would make a very decent exhibit. :) Would you be prepared to let it go ?